• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conspiracy theories, and the victims of the tragedies

Are conspiracy theories insensitive towards the tragedies' victims?

• Total voters

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
We've had quite a few tragedies across the last few years--the Moore, Oklahoma tornado; the Sandy Hook shooting; the Boston Marathon bombing; and the West, Texas explosion, to name some of the big ones. It seems that conspiracy theories have followed right behind them in these and several other cases.

But what does that do to the victims? Are these conspiracy theories a mere sideshow? Or are they insensitive towards the victims of the tragedies?

Depends on which theory we're talking about... but in general, no. The truth is the truth no matter who it offends.

Depends on which theory we're talking about... but in general, no. The truth is the truth no matter who it offends.

Those that specifically deal with tragic events. So alleged UFO sightings, for example, don't count for the purpose of this discussion.

We've had quite a few tragedies across the last few years--the Moore, Oklahoma tornado; the Sandy Hook shooting; the Boston Marathon bombing; and the West, Texas explosion, to name some of the big ones. It seems that conspiracy theories have followed right behind them in these and several other cases.

But what does that do to the victims? Are these conspiracy theories a mere sideshow? Or are they insensitive towards the victims of the tragedies?

I can't speak for all, and there definitely are people that are insensitive about the tragedies in question.

Really though, conspiracy theories just stem from a story being told with many holes or signs of coverup... Some sort of shadiness, and they are simply trying to address those issues.

Mind you, we are at a point where questioning known liars is a conspiracy theory.

What I find more insensitive are those people that will parade the dead as a means of demonizing those that question official stories.

Those that specifically deal with tragic events. So alleged UFO sightings, for example, don't count for the purpose of this discussion.

Most of the conspiracies about tragic events are not blaming the victims though... they are attempting to assess the truth behind the series of events that took place, and whether or not the story told to the public is real.

I would say they are insensitive to the tragedies. They are giant douche bags. Can you imagine some lunatic yelling the government killed your loved one not terrorists, the government killed your loved one not some nutjob with a gun, or some other idiotic nonsense those douche bags do.

In general no but some conspiracy theories directly target victims or their families. I think there was an example with one of the recent school shootings, where the father of a victim was basically accused of being fake because he wasn't seen to be grieving in the "normal" manner. I'd hope he never saw any of that but if he did, I could only see it being harmful.

Basically, when the target is generalised, organisations, "government" etc., it's easier to just let it slip by but when private individuals are being attacked, accused or condemned, I think more consideration should be taken.

Back
Top Bottom