• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conservatives: Are you happy with the current direction of the Conservative Movement?

Are you happy with the current direction of the Conservative Movement?

• Total voters
Considering the choices and then some, the question makes me glad I'm currently not a conservative.
Well, the choices are BS and were not chosen by a conservative.

Aside from Trump, you do not list any leaders....
Well, the list is fully devoid of leaders as Trump is not a leader either. While he does have followers, that alone does not make him a leader.

In fact, that brings another question to mind: are there any real leaders in the Republican party. Both parties seem hopeless devoid of leaders, which may well explain why America is a rudderless ship.

I wouldn’t consider any of those individuals actual conservatives.
They are not. You have well identified the problem: there are no real conservatives and no leaders of a conservative movement. Actually, there really no leaders amongst Republicans in general. There is a void of leadership and purpose. When you have such a void and so many people looking for leadership you end up with, well, a Donald Trump, who is not a leader, but is an apparition of a leader.

Last edited:
Where have the MAGA people (whoever they are) claimed that your list represents the “leaders” of the conservative movement, and how did you become their spokesmodel?

Can we agree that Donald Trump is a leader? I simply branched out from him as to the major players in the movement; the people who push the narratives and talking points.

I added Nick Fuentes because he's influential enough that he got American politicians to join his White Power conference. Either he's influential or being a white supremacist just isn't damaging to Republicans anymore.

Can we agree that Donald Trump is a leader? I simply branched out from him as to the major players in the movement; the people who push the narratives and talking points.

I added Nick Fuentes because he's influential enough that he got American politicians to join his White Power conference. Either he's influential or being a white supremacist just isn't damaging to Republicans anymore.
Leadership is being willing to tell one's base things that they don't want to hear.

By that measure, I don't see many leaders in the modern conservative movement these days.

On the other hand, there are no shortage of influencers. Damn good ones too. Best in the world.

And do they still even exist?

There are branches of conservatism, and they've waxed and waned in power within the movement. Neoconservatives ruled during the 1990s and 2000s, for example. The movement has become more overt recently, but I don't think people should be under any illusion that Trump changed the movement. It was headed in this direction for a long time.

Mitch McConnell isn't a relic of a bygone era. He's very much relevant to the movement. While not really a leader, he has implemented the policies that were part of the agenda since the 1970s.

Donald Trump is not a conservative so how can he be a leader of any conservative movement?

Well, the list is fully devoid of leaders as Trump is not a leader either. While he does have followers, that alone does not make him a leader.

In fact, that brings another question to mind: are there any real leaders in the Republican party. Both parties seem hopeless devoid of leaders, which may well explain why America is a rudderless ship.
Trump is most definitely a leader. Whether he is a conservative or not is a question. Probably not in the classical sense but so in a practical results oriented one.

This is you running away, afraid to answer.
No, you obviously have an audience in mind and since I don’t consider anyone on your list a leader of any movement to which I would belong, I’m not it.

Every individual named in this thread only underscores how feckless, stupid, corrupt, and/or batshit crazy the GOP's current "all star" line up is.

No, you obviously have an audience in mind and since I don’t consider anyone on your list a leader of any movement to which I would belong, I’m not it.

I find it amusing watching people dance around inconvenient questions. You're the one who said that I can't identity conservatives. You made a claim that you cannot back up.

Among the leaders of the Conservative Movement:

Donald Trump
Steve Bannon
Nick Fuentes
Tucker Carlson
Alex Jones
I don't like most Republicans for the same reason I don't like most Democrats. Carlson and Jones are news hosts not really Representatives of the conservative "movement"

I'm not sure about Fuentes or Bannon. I don't know enough about them.

I did like Trump even though he wasn't who I voted for in the primary.

There are branches of conservatism, and they've waxed and waned in power within the movement. Neoconservatives ruled during the 1990s and 2000s, for example. The movement has become more overt recently, but I don't think people should be under any illusion that Trump changed the movement. It was headed in this direction for a long time.

Mitch McConnell isn't a relic of a bygone era. He's very much relevant to the movement. While not really a leader, he has implemented the policies that were part of the agenda since the 1970s.
True this. And a reminder that Mitch McConnell proclaimed he wound do everything he could to make Obama fail. Clearly, he used his power to block legislation to the senate floor multiple times, the most recent reason included his disapproval of Supreme Court nominee Katenji Brown Jackson.

I find it amusing watching people dance around inconvenient questions. You're the one who said that I can't identity conservatives. You made a claim that you cannot back up.
Your very own list backs it up. I think it’s obvious you’re trying to start another feud thread with Trump supporters. Since I’ve never voted for him then that doesn’t in Clyde me. Enjoy your war.

Your very own list backs it up.

No, it doesn't. It appears that I have a better read of conservatism than you. You can't even identify what it means, much less provide examples.

Which policies do you think the Republican party should have pushed?
Well let's see....

I would start with nationalism, including economic nationalism. America first.
Trade protection, with tariffs where necessary.
Isolationism / staying out of foreign wars. We are not the police of the world and acting like an imperialist nation does us no good.
Withdraw from the United Nations--- and expel that organization from our country.
Disassociate with and stop supporting the International Monetary Fund, and allow that ogranization to die the death it should have died decades ago.
Strict immigration policy and border controls. Reduce immigration and expel all illegal aliens.
Reject multiculturalism and support traditional American values.
Abolish the IRS
Abolish the education dept
Abolish housing and human services dept
end affirmative action
Reform the energy dept so that it is not anti carbon and makes sense again
Treat China as the enemy they are, and stop buying goods from them.

.... just to name a few policies.

They are not. You have well identified the problem: there are no real conservatives and no leaders of a conservative movement. Actually, there really no leaders amongst Republicans in general. There is a void of leadership and purpose. When you have such a void and so many people looking for leadership you end up with, well, a Donald Trump, who is not a leader, but is an apparition of a leader.
Having Followers kinda spell Leaders…
…& watch the parking meters.

I don't like any of those choices. But that Ron DeSantis governor of Florida I could really support that guy.
What do you like about him? What are his star qualities?

The "new" conservatives are "big government".

Back
Top Bottom