• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Conservative viewpoints & extremist Islam

I was having a discussion on another forum yesterday about the shootings in Orlando. I was taken aback by someone's statement and wondering how many people agree. She was talking about how gays have had to fight for their rights in America and how conservatives have hindered them in that area. She compared that to the shootings yesterday in Orlando. She said that denying gays the right to marry, etc. is just as bad as killing them.

After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I asked for clarification and she said it again.

Do you believe that conservatives who don't believe gay marriage should be a right are akin to those who kill people because they're gay?

Not even close.

Wow, I guess my post hit home. Do you really believe it was the liberals in California who passed the anti-gay laws? Really?

If you can't rub your two brain cells together and figure out that religion is conservative and religion doesn't care if it's hateful and religion is, overwhelmingly, a bragging point for conservatives above all others, you're blind. Self-righteous bleating is the stuff of pulpit pounders of all stripes, who think tradition is so important that we should sacrifice a better future to it. If liberals are arrogant about anything it's that they are on the right side of these issues of hate. Based upon that FACT, I'll take an arrogant good person over a humble monster any day. Obviously, you're not brave enough to call out your fellow traditionalists on their bigotry because, at the end of the day, what your brand of conservatism is concerned with is fiscal above all else.

Personal wealth, gained immorally, is a wealth of shame. Social status gained at the expense of the innocent is a pedestal of hate. Look the other way, if you like, but don't try to blame the left for creating this paradigm. It was created by god and his faithful minions on the right and we liberals are the only ones doing anything to change the game.

The big Dem. anti-homosexual marriage voting block that "switched sides" was black Democrats. Without them voting against the bills, they would have passed.

The big Dem. anti-homosexual marriage voting block that "switched sides" was black Democrats. Without them voting against the bills, they would have passed.

Actually, it was largely blacks that caused Prop 8 to pass in California. Blacks are largely religious and a lot of them came out of the woodwork to vote for Obama, having never registered or voted before. So they went to the polls, voted for Obama and then voted for one of the most bigoted anti-gay bills around. That's the only reason it passed. Had it been on the ballot in a non-Presidential year, it would have had no chance.

Actually, it was largely blacks that caused Prop 8 to pass in California. Blacks are largely religious and a lot of them came out of the woodwork to vote for Obama, having never registered or voted before. So they went to the polls, voted for Obama and then voted for one of the most bigoted anti-gay bills around. That's the only reason it passed. Had it been on the ballot in a non-Presidential year, it would have had no chance.

Sorry, I got the bills confused. Yes, they voted FOR the bills.

I was having a discussion on another forum yesterday about the shootings in Orlando. I was taken aback by someone's statement and wondering how many people agree. She was talking about how gays have had to fight for their rights in America and how conservatives have hindered them in that area. She compared that to the shootings yesterday in Orlando. She said that denying gays the right to marry, etc. is just as bad as killing them.

After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I asked for clarification and she said it again.

Do you believe that conservatives who don't believe gay marriage should be a right are akin to those who kill people because they're gay?

I think the real question is do you honestly believe this is anything more than a very tiny minority view?

You'll find plenty of liberals willing to group conservatives with Islamists because they both dislike gays/the gay agenda, but you'll be hard to find a handful that will say that those two things are exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom