• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conservative pundit Matt Walsh argues in favor of more child labor

:rolleyes:

So, never went to college and the bitterness has set in. Got it.
I did go to college and graduated, I just am happier working and this was wasted time because I didn’t need the college.

you seem bitter however that you apparently wasted the time and instead of seeing the scam that it is, you want others to waste time and money doing the same thing. Clearly not as smart as the soldier in all quiet on the western front who confronts his teachers for the lies he was told

I did go to college and graduated, I just am happier working and this was wasted time because I didn’t need the college.

you seem bitter however that you apparently wasted the time and instead of seeing the scam that it is, you want others to waste time and money doing the same thing. Clearly not as smart as the soldier in all quiet on the western front who confronts his teachers for the lies he was told
I enjoyed college. Went the 1st three years on a football scholarship until I got hurt, then finished up in the Army using my tuition assistance.

What I don't want is a bunch of untrained and uneducated people in jobs that require education.

Provide me with evidence that contradicts the large body of data that shows child labor negatively effects the outcomes of children and I'll change my position.
Provide us all with evidence that a less educated population is a good thing in our society and system of government, where people have to make wise choices on complex issues. While you're at it, show us correlation between less education and higher rates of productivity, which is the only way ultimately to increase our standard of living.

You may not have needed college to do your job, but your clear lack of critical thinking skills, evidenced by so very many of your posts, tells me that you definitely needed more education for other reasons.

I enjoyed college. Went the 1st three years on a football scholarship until I got hurt, then finished up in the Army using my tuition assistance.

What I don't want is a bunch of untrained and uneducated people in jobs that require education.
Wrapping burgers and boiling fries doesn't require much of an education.
As long as they have my Chicken McNuggets ready when I drive by the pickup window I don't care if the workers are 14 years old.

Wrapping burgers and boiling fries doesn't require much of an education.
As long as they have my Chicken McNuggets ready when I drive by the pickup window I don't care if the workers are 14 years old.
You shouldn't eat that crap. It's terrible for you.

I taught in an inner city high school (which is the age range under discussion here). Most of the students would've undoubtedly been better off if they could start working instead of spending four years pretending to learn. The minority of students who were interested in learning would've also been better off had the rest not been there.
That sounds like a shortcoming of the school system itself, of how the schooling was done, not a shortcoming of the notion of being educated.

You shouldn't eat that crap. It's terrible for you.
After a hard day at the river with my dog (see her on the left), I need to pump her up with fatty foods. So we share a cheeseburger and some McNuggets in the car.
Can't let her eat alone, can I? It's called bonding.

That sounds like a shortcoming of the school system itself, of how the schooling was done, not a shortcoming of the notion of being educated.
It is the shortcoming of incompetent teachers, students lacking parental guidance, students who simply want to disrupt the class and keep others from learning; useless school administrators, and teachers unions that really don't give a damn if students fail in school or get pushed through the system so that the federal and state dollars keep flowing to pay the unions and the teachers.

I don't give a shit about your collective data after I have seen generations of students working part time jobs and going to to be successful in life.

My grandson goes to college next year and works as a cashier at Kroger.

I guess I should direct him to you so you can tell him how ****ed up his life is going to be. :ROFLMAO:
Is he 14 years old? That is the premise of the thread, that 14 and 15 year old children should focus on school. I had a part time job when I turned 16 as a junior and through my senior year, but that's not what the thread is about.

Better discipline could probably make the experience less painful for the students who cared, but that wouldn’t make the rest of them better off (except insofar as it taught them how to behave, but a job could do that just as well).

You can work and go to school.

making money is a great form of education.

I’m in favor of de-credentializing society. We should pass strict laws banning the requirement of diplomas or college degrees in most professions

Is this gonna include pilots without a license because uuuuuhhhhh

Is this gonna include pilots without a license because uuuuuhhhhh
If a pilot can pass the various written and practical tests required by the FAA, why should it matter how much money he's given to CFIs?

If a pilot can pass the various written and practical tests required by the FAA, why should it matter how much money he's given to CFIs?

I was asking whether @EMNofSeattle thinks we should have those tests in the first place.

Really have no idea what you're asking about. Do you think minimum flight hours are too high?

The purpose of "child" labor laws is indeed to preserve the school system's monopoly on young people's time.

Huh? You say that like it's a bad thing.

I was asking whether @EMNofSeattle thinks we should have those tests in the first place.

Really have no idea what you're asking about. Do you think minimum flight hours are too high?
He didn’t say anything about test-based qualifications.

If a person is able to competently fly a plane, why is it the government’s business at all how he acquired that skill?
Some, on the fringe right, think schools are nothing but liberal indoctrination, and are therefore bad.
Even if public schooling wasn’t liberal indoctrination, it would still be wrong to force everyone to sit idle for a decade.

If a person is able to competently fly a plane, why is it the government’s business at all how he acquired that skill?

Even if public schooling wasn’t liberal indoctrination, it would still be wrong to force everyone to sit idle for a decade.
Of course, let's have a completely uneducated population. What can possibly go wrong?

Some, on the fringe right, think schools are nothing but liberal indoctrination, and are therefore bad.

Yes, indeed. They see public education as a threat because once people actually become educated they tend to not fall for their nonsense. They want people who they can keep looking for that darned Obama's secret birth certificate and stolen elections for years on end. Trump is still king of the "poorly educated". You can't have that base eroding away. Schooling is the enemy.

He did mention "credentialing." A pilot's certificate is an example of this. If he's against "credentialing," shouldn't he be against the government assessing that skill at all?

Well, there's your problem. You're starting from "able to competently fly a plane." But how is that assessed? In this hypothetical world where pilot's licenses don't exist, you get on a Delta flight. How do you know if that pilot is competent? How would some random member of the public possibly know this? They're not pilots. They don't know anything about flying planes. They'll find out if the pilot is competent when they land... or crash.

Idle? School is not "sitting idle."

Of course, let's have a completely uneducated population. What can possibly go wrong?
How did the vast majority of people throughout history get educated?
He did mention "credentialing." A pilot's certificate is an example of this. If he's against "credentialing," shouldn't he be against the government assessing that skill at all?
If you want to purposely misinterpret people that’s your business. I can’t see how you’d interpret what he said as rejecting direct assessment of skills.
Well, there's your problem. You're starting from "able to competently fly a plane." But how is that assessed? In this hypothetical world where pilot's licenses don't exist, you get on a Delta flight. How do you know if that pilot is competent? How would some random member of the public possibly know this? They're not pilots. They don't know anything about flying planes. They'll find out if the pilot is competent when they land... or crash.
If Delta has a reputation for hiring incompetent pilots they’ll lose customers. Not that anyone has actually argued against pilot’s licensure.
Idle? School is not "sitting idle."
For a great many people it might as well be. Those who lack either the intelligence or the desire to understand academic subjects would be better off working for a living.

Back
Top Bottom