• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conservative Party leadership election

Grand Mal

Russian warship, go f*** yourself!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The Conservative Party of Canada just finished electing a new leader by mail-in ballot. No fanfare, no controversy, no accusations, just fill in your ballot and mail it in. Simple. They're counting the votes as we speak.
File this under "Just because you can't do something doesn't mean it can't be done."

The Conservative Party of Canada just finished electing a new leader by mail-in ballot. No fanfare, no controversy, no accusations, just fill in your ballot and mail it in. Simple. They're counting the votes as we speak.
File this under "Just because you can't do something doesn't mean it can't be done."

Erin Otoole is the winner, which surprised me

I think it surprised a lot of people but what people really seem to be focusing on is how poorly Mackay did.

I am guessing too centrist for the CCP party today

I heard part of Scheers going away speech and he was talking about how Canada no longer has a free market economy. If that is a real believe in the Con party they will have moved quite a bit to the right over the last few years

I am guessing too centrist for the CCP party today

I heard part of Scheers going away speech and he was talking about how Canada no longer has a free market economy. If that is a real believe in the Con party they will have moved quite a bit to the right over the last few years

That's fair enough. Trudeau seems to have taken the Liberals farther left. Chretien wouldn't have bought a pipeline.
I just hope increased polarization doesn't lead to ratcheting up the rhetoric to what we see down south.

I'm watching the Global blurb about it and they say the ranked ballot system might have favoured O'Toole. If I got it right, there's room for some creative politicking.

I'm watching the Global blurb about it and they say the ranked ballot system might have favoured O'Toole. If I got it right, there's room for some creative politicking.

Definitely looks like he was everyone's second choice. So looks like it.

Republicans will tell you right away things that can't be done before they are ever tried. They're rather famous for it. I suspect should biden win, you'll see the return of the party of no.

I can live with the results although I would have preferred it if Lewis had won. The party needs to distance itself from the Harper days.

As a Conservative Party member and a person who voted, by mail, in the leadership election, I can attest that I had no problem receiving the ballot, voting, and returning my ballot by mail. I assume it was received and counted in the voting but I have no way of knowing if that is the case - when I vote in elections, at a polling booth, my ballot is electronically validated and electronically input into the computer system before I leave the polling station so I know my ballot has been counted. I prefer voting in person, pandemic or no pandemic.

All that said, it should be noted that the mail in balloting for the Conservative Party leadership did no go without difficulties. Firstly, the mechanical means for opening the ballot envelops apparently damaged several thousand ballots which had to be either taped back together, if appropriate, or a new ballot created using the damaged ballot, and scrutinized by members of all the leadership candidate teams. That was with under 180,000 ballots and it delayed the results more than 6 hours last night. Can you imagine in an American election, where upwards of 140 million people cast ballots, if even 2% of the ballots were damaged in such a way? The lawsuits and Supreme Court challenges from the losing party would go on for months if the results were as close as most American elections have been lately.

I can live with the results although I would have preferred it if Lewis had won. The party needs to distance itself from the Harper days.

I personally voted for Lewis - I have no concept of why the Conservatives and those of us who support them need to "distance" ourselves from the very successful Harper government. But looking to the future is the only route to regaining office.

I personally voted for Lewis - I have no concept of why the Conservatives and those of us who support them need to "distance" ourselves from the very successful Harper government. But looking to the future is the only route to regaining office.

I would hardly class the Harper government as "very successful". What made Harper look good was the poor choices that the liberals made in choosing their leaders. Dionne and Ignatieff bot might have been very bright guys but nobody could understand Dionne and the backroom boys had the gall to think that Ignatieff could be parachuted into the country after being outside the country for most of his life. Harper dispatched both of them in short order but he also managed to turn off a lot of people to the point that they ganged up to vote against him. John Baird was my member but, when he bailed before the election, I must admit that I did not vote for the CPC candidate. Things went sideways during the 2015 campaign, likely because it was too damn long.

At the moment, the CPC doesn't seem to me to have much in the way of a positive platform and I have my doubts that O'Toole is apt to come up with one. Lewis would have been a far better choice in my mind.

Does anyone have a link to Scheer's speech yesterday?

In text form?

I would hardly class the Harper government as "very successful". What made Harper look good was the poor choices that the liberals made in choosing their leaders. Dionne and Ignatieff bot might have been very bright guys but nobody could understand Dionne and the backroom boys had the gall to think that Ignatieff could be parachuted into the country after being outside the country for most of his life. Harper dispatched both of them in short order but he also managed to turn off a lot of people to the point that they ganged up to vote against him. John Baird was my member but, when he bailed before the election, I must admit that I did not vote for the CPC candidate. Things went sideways during the 2015 campaign, likely because it was too damn long.

At the moment, the CPC doesn't seem to me to have much in the way of a positive platform and I have my doubts that O'Toole is apt to come up with one. Lewis would have been a far better choice in my mind.

Anyone who voted for Justin Trudeau in 2015 instead of Harper can be excused for being naïve and shallow. However, if you voted for Justin Trudeau and the Liberals last November, having experienced four years of his corrupt and incompetent government, you're nothing but a damn fool. If you still support Justin Trudeau and the Liberals now, after another year of further corruption and spendthrift incompetence, then you're a brain dead partisan idiot who's only interested in what the government can do for you and not what is in the best interests of the country as a whole. If you still support Justin Trudeau and the Liberals, frankly, you're a danger to the future of Canada.

Anyone who voted for Justin Trudeau in 2015 instead of Harper can be excused for being naïve and shallow. However, if you voted for Justin Trudeau and the Liberals last November, having experienced four years of his corrupt and incompetent government, you're nothing but a damn fool. If you still support Justin Trudeau and the Liberals now, after another year of further corruption and spendthrift incompetence, then you're a brain dead partisan idiot who's only interested in what the government can do for you and not what is in the best interests of the country as a whole. If you still support Justin Trudeau and the Liberals, frankly, you're a danger to the future of Canada.

Scheer in his farewell speech showed Canada that he was a nut job.

Stating Canada is no longer a free market economy, that young adults in Canada do not know what a free market is or means.

Trudeau has been in power for 5 years, he did not change regulations to any real degree from Harper when it come to the free market. Which means Scheer feels Canada has not had a free market for decades.

If that is the indication of where the Con party is today, they will be left out in right field by themselves for a long time. That sort of believe will not get the centrist votes required to win. Remember center/ left parties received 65% of the vote nationwide in the last election

So it looks like O'Toole is already not a good choice, the Leger poll is showing he is a liability and people are becoming apathetic to the WE scandal.

Last edited:
So it looks like O'Toole is already not a good choice, the Leger poll is showing he is a liability and people are becoming apathetic to the WE scandal.

He is the least disliked candidate. Not the most liked.

I believe the Conservative party has moved quite a bit right in general ( Alberta Sask influence)

I expect Trudeau to step down as party leader in a few months leaving the door open for Freeland to lead the liberals in the next election and likely win the election

I've got no tolerance for Justin Trudeau. The sooner he's gone the better, but I'll be damned if you don't sound more American every time you post. Any day now I expect to see you calling people libtards and growling about the deep state working against the Tories.
Have you been having lunch with 'apdst'?

Republicans will tell you right away things that can't be done before they are ever tried. They're rather famous for it. I suspect should biden win, you'll see the return of the party of no.

How so? I think you have that backward. Every single ideas the left has, has been tried by various different people of all races and cultures for over 100 years now, to disastrous results. We have no wish to repeat it in North America. Alternatively, nobody has ever tried a true hands-off approach, laissez-faire, the left keeps saying NO as if they have a crystal magic ball (or is it just cuz they hate giving up power). I just wanted to correct you in case you made a mistake.

The lefts solution to every failure, usually of their own making, is to try the failure to an even greater degree, meaning even more gov't control and money thrown at the problem, it never occurs to them to get out of the issue altogether, even if it's caused by their very policies.

Just to set your mind at ease, there is no way I would ever vote Liberal as long as the party is led by Justin Trudeau. He has all the bad qualities of his father but none of the good ones.

I will be watching Mr. O'Toole with interest, he has to be an improvement over Andrew.

He is the least disliked candidate. Not the most liked.

I believe the Conservative party has moved quite a bit right in general ( Alberta Sask influence)

I expect Trudeau to step down as party leader in a few months leaving the door open for Freeland to lead the liberals in the next election and likely win the election

I wouldn't bet too much on that. I would much more likely say he will parachute Mark Carney into a byelection and use him as a star candidate and finance minister.

I wouldn't bet too much on that. I would much more likely say he will parachute Mark Carney into a byelection and use him as a star candidate and finance minister.

I would have thought that last year, but Freeland is getting a ton of press right now (nearly all positive) and Carney is pretty much out of mind. Carney should be great on policy issues

Tammerlain:

Yeah, that completely suprised me too. No I have to do some homework on Mr. O'Toole. I no next to nothing about the fellow.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Scheer in his farewell speech showed Canada that he was a nut job.

Stating Canada is no longer a free market economy, that young adults in Canada do not know what a free market is or means.

Trudeau has been in power for 5 years, he did not change regulations to any real degree from Harper when it come to the free market. Which means Scheer feels Canada has not had a free market for decades.

If that is the indication of where the Con party is today, they will be left out in right field by themselves for a long time. That sort of believe will not get the centrist votes required to win. Remember center/ left parties received 65% of the vote nationwide in the last election

My comments were an indictment of Justin Trudeau and those who voted for him and remain valid irrespective of the deflection in your reply post.

It's not surprising that liberals would become apathetic to the WE scandal - liberals have never been concerned one bit about Liberal corruption - it's a given and acceptable to them. Unlike most conservatives, liberals support their guy/gal no matter their level of integrity/corruption/competence - winning is all there is for liberals, the country be damned.

As for O'Toole - he wouldn't have been my choice, but he has more integrity in his baby toe than Justin Trudeau and his herd of sheep have collectively.

Back
Top Bottom