• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conservative Leader Abbott Sweeps into Power in Australian Elections.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Heya where are those Progressives and libs that are talking about Conservatism is dead and all that. :lamo
Looks like Australia just got Right. Truly a G'day for a Shrimp on the Barbie. (said Aussie style) Congrads to the Aussies.
2party.gif

Australia's conservative leader Tony Abbott swept into office in national elections on Saturday as voters punished the outgoing Labor government for six years of turbulent rule and for failing to maximize the benefits of a now fading mining boom.

Abbott, a former boxer, Rhodes scholar and trainee priest, promised to restore political stability, cut taxes and crack down on asylum seekers arriving by boat.

"From today I declare that Australia is under new management and Australia is once more open for business," Abbott told jubilant supporters in Sydney.

"It is the people of Australia to determine the government and the prime minister of this country and you will punish anyone who takes you for granted," said Abbott.

Abbott could end up with a majority of around 30 seats, ending the country's first minority government since World War Two. Labor had relied upon independent and Greens support for the past three years.....snip~

Conservative leader Abbott sweeps into power in Australian elections

Well Australia is a Conservative country so no surprise, I guess we will have wait another decade to see gay rights.

Well Australia is a Conservative country so no surprise, I guess we will have wait another decade to see gay rights.

?

gays and lesbians have been allowed to openly serve in the military since 1992. Despite receiving opposition from then-Prime Minister of Australia John Howard and supporting government members, multiple states and territories began granting domestic partnership benefits to same-sex couples and all states and territories currently recognizes de facto same-sex couples.

LGBT rights in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where is Spud and Serenity? I have never heard them say Australia didn't have gay rights.

Where is HOJ and all is comments about Conservatism and it's ideology? :lamo

Your forgetting like the Southern States they have constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriage the final barrier to equality. It is also Conservative in being very similar to the United States in structure and values, individualism, State structure, slower to progress on social issues. Rudd seemed to be the only vocal supporter of same-sex marriage from what I have read in Australian news even then he supports a referendum.

Your forgetting like the Southern States they have constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriage the final barrier to equality.

Same sex marriage (or, better, universal civil unions) is not the final barrier to equality.

In the scheme of things and considering all of the other problems we face as humans, why is that even an issue?

As Hillary would say, "What difference does it make?"

It's not quite sweeps, he probably what getting his mittens on the senate.

It was certainly a clear majority though.

The Progressives must be livid seeing news like this. :lol: :2razz:

Yep ya got to give it to those Aussies.....those Beds are Burning the Midnight Oil. :mrgreen:

Where is Spud and Serenity? I have never heard them say Australia didn't have gay rights.

Where is HOJ and all is comments about Conservatism and it's ideology? :lamo

"(it’s worth noting that Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Britain now all have prime ministers to the right of the US president. That’s a kind of American exceptionalism the world could do without.)" - Mark Steyn.

"(it’s worth noting that Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Britain now all have prime ministers to the right of the US president. That’s a kind of American exceptionalism the world could do without.)" - Mark Steyn.

:lamo Like the song says.....the Time has come, to pay our rent, to pay our share. To get it back. :shock:
See they know whats Right.

None of this.....I'll gladly pay you next Tuesday, for a hamburger today. :2razz:

Heya where are those Progressives and libs that are talking about Conservatism is dead and all that. :lamo
Looks like Australia just got Right. Truly a G'day for a Shrimp on the Barbie. (said Aussie style) Congrads to the Aussies.
2party.gif

Australia's conservative leader Tony Abbott swept into office in national elections on Saturday as voters punished the outgoing Labor government for six years of turbulent rule and for failing to maximize the benefits of a now fading mining boom.

Abbott, a former boxer, Rhodes scholar and trainee priest, promised to restore political stability, cut taxes and crack down on asylum seekers arriving by boat.

"From today I declare that Australia is under new management and Australia is once more open for business," Abbott told jubilant supporters in Sydney.

"It is the people of Australia to determine the government and the prime minister of this country and you will punish anyone who takes you for granted," said Abbott.

Abbott could end up with a majority of around 30 seats, ending the country's first minority government since World War Two. Labor had relied upon independent and Greens support for the past three years.....snip~

Conservative leader Abbott sweeps into power in Australian elections

Now if only America can follow their example in 2014 and 2016.

Your forgetting like the Southern States they have constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriage the final barrier to equality. It is also Conservative in being very similar to the United States in structure and values, individualism, State structure, slower to progress on social issues. Rudd seemed to be the only vocal supporter of same-sex marriage from what I have read in Australian news even then he supports a referendum.

Rudd only became a supporter of homosexual/lesbian rights in the last couple of weeks of the election campaign, he wasn't before.

I went to bed last night one very, very happy lil vegemite! I live in a safe Liberal seat (your Republican...not exactly of course, but close enough) so there was never any doubt that the Liberal would win...and the Liberal representative had retired so the new representative was relatively unknown...she still won easily.
Prime Minister Abbott's (ahhh, good to be able to say that) sister is a lesbian, so who knows what will happen in the future with such influence.
Australian voters go in cycles: Labor gets in and totally destroys the economy so then the Liberal party is voted in. They work hard and fix the econmy, get us back into the black but, to do that requires some belt-tightening. When Australians are sick of the belt-tightening, they vote Labor in again and the whole thing starts again. The best Prime Minister and Treasurer Australia ever had was John Howard and Peter Costello. It took Peter Costello (Treasurer) 10 years to fix Labor's financial mess. He had a small fortune saved when Labor took power again and, yep, you guessed it, gone in a heatbeat. Now I can bet you that Labor's financial doings are a whole lot worse they they have let on and it will take a lot of belt-tightening to fix the problem.
Tony Abbott has promised to cut foreign aid (they won't cut it enough of course) and to stop the boats. I reckon that is what helped him to win a big majority. The problem is the Senate. He will not control the Senate so he will be stopped on several things. At least it is not a minority government. But Aussies tend to be cautious when it comes to the Senate.
Anyway, whatever happens, it has got to be soooooooo much better than it has been.

I went to bed last night one very, very happy lil vegemite! I live in a safe Liberal seat (your Republican...not exactly of course, but close enough) so there was never any doubt that the Liberal would win...and the Liberal representative had retired so the new representative was relatively unknown...she still won easily.
Prime Minister Abbott's (ahhh, good to be able to say that) sister is a lesbian, so who knows what will happen in the future with such influence.
Australian voters go in cycles: Labor gets in and totally destroys the economy so then the Liberal party is voted in. They work hard and fix the econmy, get us back into the black but, to do that requires some belt-tightening. When Australians are sick of the belt-tightening, they vote Labor in again and the whole thing starts again. The best Prime Minister and Treasurer Australia ever had was John Howard and Peter Costello. It took Peter Costello (Treasurer) 10 years to fix Labor's financial mess. He had a small fortune saved when Labor took power again and, yep, you guessed it, gone in a heatbeat. Now I can bet you that Labor's financial doings are a whole lot worse they they have let on and it will take a lot of belt-tightening to fix the problem.
Tony Abbott has promised to cut foreign aid (they won't cut it enough of course) and to stop the boats. I reckon that is what helped him to win a big majority. The problem is the Senate. He will not control the Senate so he will be stopped on several things. At least it is not a minority government. But Aussies tend to be cautious when it comes to the Senate.
Anyway, whatever happens, it has got to be soooooooo much better than it has been.

Thanks for giving us some insight LM.
hat.gif

LadyMoonlight's right, the whole thing is cyclical. Labor progresses Australia socially, and spends a **** load, Liberals come in and progress Australia fiscally, saving a ****load.

Apart from that, the difference between the parties is fairly minimal, Abbott isn't really any more conservative than Gillard was, and is only slightly more conservative than Rudd.

Tony Abbott has promised to cut foreign aid (they won't cut it enough of course) and to stop the boats. I reckon that is what helped him to win a big majority.
Agree with you for the most part but i see this as only playing a small part. Personally i see the bigger issues as being the in house dramas regarding leadership speculation and party instability and the fall out from the Carbon Tax.

The Progressives must be livid seeing news like this. :lol: :2razz:

Yep ya got to give it to those Aussies.....those Beds are Burning the Midnight Oil. :mrgreen:

Great song.

For those that don't know, "Beds Are Burning" is a political song about giving native Australian lands back to Indigenous Australians.

Truly a G'day for a Shrimp on the Barbie. (said Aussie style)

It's not Aussie style and for the purpose of this excercise i probably should point out that it's prawns and we don't throw them on the barbie.

Paul Hogan has a lot to answer for on that :lol:

I agree with you. It was a combination on things, however, I do believe that a majority of Australians are not happy with boatloads of illegal immigrants arriving here, dictating who comes to live in Australia and the freebies they get, and when things are tough in Australia for some people, putting money into the hands of corrupt governments and the military in other countries is just not right.

It's not Aussie style and for the purpose of this excercise i probably should point out that it's prawns and we don't throw them on the barbie.

I was going to mention this, but I got sidetracked with other stuff :)

39291-acteur-crocodile-dundee-arnaque-34-millions.jpg

giggling.gif
..... :2razz:

Back
Top Bottom