• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conservative Koch network disavows critical race theory bans

Which is the most Conservative?

• Total voters
Everything in every single source is trash. It's not our job to police your ignorance and stupidity.

The Washington Examiner piece cited four specific schools that are teaching what should be termed “anti-racism” rhetoric. Have you a specific reason to believe that any of these four claims is false?

What I see happening on this thread is addressed at the beginning of that article: that proponents of anti-racist rhetoric like to muddy the philosophical waters by asserting that CRT is only taught at the academic level. The writer’s only fault is that he didn’t succeed in describing the links between CRT and populist anti-racism as practiced in k-12. Not that Mad Libs would listen to the most detailed proofs.

The Washington Examiner piece cited four specific schools that are teaching what should be termed “anti-racism” rhetoric. Have you a specific reason to believe that any of these four claims is false?

What I see happening on this thread is addressed at the beginning of that article: that proponents of anti-racist rhetoric like to muddy the philosophical waters by asserting that CRT is only taught at the academic level. The writer’s only fault is that he didn’t succeed in describing the links between CRT and populist anti-racism as practiced in k-12. Not that Mad Libs would listen to the most detailed proofs.
What are the links between CRT and Anti-Racism?

A good starting point for some posters on this thread, judging from the posts, is the Encyclopedia Britannica entry on the subject. It can be found at:

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.

Lie. If it were not there would be no pushback from state education bans of the ideas and concepts. But there is.

Also, there are examples all over if you care to search for them.

It is not a lie at all.

The racist meme about critical race theory that is being noisily peddled by the right wing sewer is a myth.

You made it very clear that you know nothing about critical race theory at all. But “critical” and “race” make great trigger words for people who get their “news” from OAN and Fox, and won’t read anything more than three sentences long.

And your “evidence” that CRT is actually being taught in K-12?

An attack piece from a notorious right wing blog with a long history of fanning ginned up right wing astroturf campaigns.

And a couple of articles that discuss the right wing mob that is triggered by the code words.

The noise campaign against CRT is just that, a noise campaign.

They want you to be seeing school board meetings disruptied by knuckle dragging no nothings on your TV screen every night.

The ”grass roots“ groups behind these things often have no more than a handful of actual members.

And yet, they produce slick pop up expensive web sites instantly, and somehow, the Fox cameras know when and where to show up. And an instamob shows up with pre printed signs, after being ginned up by a Parler campaign to show up on behalf of an astroturf organization that most of them know nothing about.

I’m sure they’ve reached out to get in your wallet.

This campaign, like the tea party “movement” is a product of K street, and is being financed by the usual collection of reactionary right wing billionaires, the Bradley Foundation, Dick Uhline, and others. Contrary to their protests, the Koch’s are not innocent either.

lol no it's not. All conservatives do is tilt at windmills.

The “culture wars” play is a big one amongst the deplorables.

It appeals to latent racism.

With the collapse of trump, the right wing mob is going back to its tried and true collection of resentment themes.

And the conservative media and fundraising apparatus is there to con the rubes by holding a mirror up to their fears and resentments.

It is not a lie at all.

The racist meme about critical race theory that is being noisily peddled by the right wing sewer is a myth.

You made it very clear that you know nothing about critical race theory at all. But “critical” and “race” make great trigger words for people who get their “news” from OAN and Fox, and won’t read anything more than three sentences long.

An attack piece from a notorious right wing blog with a long history of fanning ginned up right wing astroturf campaigns.

And a couple of articles that discuss the right wing mob that is triggered by the code words.

They want you to be seeing school board meetings disruptied by knuckle dragging no nothings on your TV screen every night.

The ”grass roots“ groups behind these things often have no more than a handful of actual members.

And yet, they produce slick pop up expensive web sites instantly, and somehow, the Fox cameras know when and where to show up. And an instamob shows up with pre printed signs, after being ginned up by a Parler campaign to show up on behalf of an astroturf organization that most of them know nothing about.

This campaign, like the tea party “movement” is a product of K street, and is being financed by the usual collection of reactionary right wing billionaires, the Bradley Foundation, Dick Uhline, and others. Contrary to their protests, the Koch’s are not innocent either.
I think that people are upset that we cannot honestly talk about US History without talking about racism. That there is a want to return to the way I had it in school where the entire thing was just kind of ignored and glossed over.

But you can't really understand our own history without understanding the very strong currents of White Supremacy, the rejection of that concept and how the effects of it are still felt today.

What are the links between CRT and Anti-Racism?

The conjoined ideas that racism is “at the center” of American culture rather than aberration of particular individuals, and that whites “consciously or unconsciously” seek to dominate non-whites no matter what individual whites may do or say. (Quotes taken from the words of CRT founder Derick Bell.)

CRT is the theory; anti racism is the praxis.

The conjoined ideas that racism is “at the center” of American culture rather than aberration of particular individuals, and that whites “consciously or unconsciously” seek to dominate non-whites no matter what individual whites may do or say. (Quotes taken from the words of CRT founder Derick Bell.)

CRT is the theory; anti racism is the praxis.
So... how does one confront the institutionally supported racism and White Supremacy of the past and the continued effects of that past?

What is the Conservative solution?

It is not a lie at all.

If this is all true then feel free to debunk the Examiner’s specific examples of anti racist curricula, or provide a link to someone who has done so.

That the concept of race has been with us here in the United States of America from the country's inception is a given. That it continues in the attitudes of some Americans is also without dispute. The effects of systemic racism in the past are apparent in a number of reliable statistics of the US today. That also is fact.

What we, as a nation [Read, 'government'] and as individuals are doing about it is a matter of public record.

What we should do about it falls within the realm of opinion. It is here that we should be willing to state the assumptions underpinning our recommendations.

[Side note. As of this writing, the federal government of the United States of America has not passed a law making lynching a crime.]

Schools teaching "anti-racist rhetoric"!?

The horror...

*sigh* Why do you insist on lying?

I don't know what schools you went to, but the ones i went to covered slavery and the Jim Crow era and MLK's Civil Rights marches.

Banning CRT is not about banning "history of slavery" et al. It's about banning race-shaming, divisive horseshit peddled by radical Leftists.
There is no shaming.

So... how does one confront the incredibly racist and institutionally supported racism and White Supremacy of the past?

What is the Conservative solution?

A balanced history records not only the history of slavery but also that of abolition, Affirmative Action, and many other examples of anti-bigotry.

CRT and anti racism have no interest in a balanced history. They want to promulgate the idea that racism is integral to American culture, and they extend the definition of racism to every form of prosperity that any white citizen has been ever enjoyed, insisting that said prosperity must stem from “privilege” whether or not the citizen has committed literal offenses against POC. This is circular reasoning and does not belong in k-12. At most the theory of CRT may appear in academic theory, but only where it can be contrasted with other intellectual systems.

That the concept of race has been with us here in the United States of America from the country's inception is a given. That it continues in the attitudes of some Americans is also without dispute. The effects of systemic racism in the past are apparent in a number of reliable statistics of the US today. That also is fact.

What we, as a nation [Read, 'government'] and as individuals are doing about it is a matter of public record.

What we should do about it falls within the realm of opinion. It is here that we should be willing to state the assumptions underpinning our recommendations.

[Side note. As of this writing, the federal government of the United States of America has not passed a law making lynching a crime.]

CRT would not typically say “some” but rather “all.”

Maybe the anti lynching law that didn’t pass was as badly written as most anti racist screeds.

A balanced history records not only the history of slavery but also that of abolition, Affirmative Action, and many other examples of anti-bigotry.

CRT and anti racism have no interest in a balanced history. They want to promulgate the idea that racism is integral to American culture, and they extend the definition of racism to every form of prosperity that any white citizen has been ever enjoyed, insisting that said prosperity must stem from “privilege” whether or not the citizen has committed literal offenses against POC. This is circular reasoning and does not belong in k-12. At most the theory of CRT may appear in academic theory, but only where it can be contrasted with other intellectual systems.
The thing is... A lot of abolitionists were super racist.

They did not like the idea of slavery but they also didn't want a bunch of black people living around them. Understanding that is one of the keys to understanding why Reconstruction failed.

What is being proposed is a continued whitewashing of history where a racial underclass was subjugated for a about 240 years and then institutionally supressed for another hundred after that in order to serve economic interests and justified through racism.

While I agree that the progress made has to be learned and celebrated... without the understanding of what and who was standing in the way of that progress and seeing what is left undone is failing to even try to tell the whole story.

The funniest part is I learned what CRT was years ago, didn't have the actual class just learned the concepts of it and what it was. But nobody was crying about it until fox (and like places) talked about it like every day for like 90 days LMAO then racist and bigots lost their minds and all the bitching I hear has nothing to actually do with CRT . . .

Its mostly nonsense like
Uneducated white person: I dont want my 1st grader to learn she racist s person just cause she is white
Unedcutated black person: I dont want my second grader learning to hate white people and that all her shortcomings are because whites
Both uneducated parents: Our kids love each other and play together i dont want them to hate eachother

🤦‍♂️monumental stupidity like that just makes me wish the parents were back in school too LOL

Is it now? Why did you lie?

One teacher's opinion about what the curricula was, which isn't in dispute.

Any other deflections you care to toss or do you want to admit you were mistaken?

You made his point rather well.

CRT would not typically say “some” but rather “all.”

Maybe the anti lynching law that didn’t pass was as badly written as most anti racist screeds.

Hi, Ouroboros!

The first quoted sentence is unclear. Can you give a specific citation from a formal published CRT document?

The second quoted sentence implies just one proposed law. It is my understanding that there have been several through the years.

In social sciences or the arts, a theory is just a lenses to examine something in a particular way. For example, you might analyse Jane Eyre using feminist theory or the industrial revolution using Marxist theory.

Critical Race Theory is an intersectional approach, examining how race and law are intertwined in US history. That’s it conservatives. No one is asking you to hate America or white people or anything else. It’s just a different way of critiquing history. In the same way, you guys use Colonialism Theory to explain why the slaves were better off picking cotton in Mississippi rather than back in Africa.

If this is all true then feel free to debunk the Examiner’s specific examples of anti racist curricula, or provide a link to someone who has done so.

What do you mean, “if all that were true”.

You’re peddling and defending a hit piece by one of the most dishonest right wing blogs out there. One that lies regularly and generally blatantly, in an effort to push your buttons.

Which they obviously pushed hard, since you’re all on board with them.

If you actually read the article,there were only two real pieces of information in it.

One is the claim that the NEA pushed this as a policy goal. Actually, the link that your trash blog gave was to another even trashier blog that actually said the opposite.

As for referencing 30 school districts…….. there are literally thousands of school districts in the US. )26 in my small state alone). And not one of the ones the Examiner falsely portrays are actually teaching this theory, only acknowledging the past (something the trump loser fringe doesn’t want to do).

Critical race theory is being used by the right wing PR and fundraising machine to trigger bigots. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The thing is... A lot of abolitionists were super racist.

They did not like the idea of slavery but they also didn't want a bunch of black people living around them. Understanding that is one of the keys to understanding why Reconstruction failed.

What is being proposed is a continued whitewashing of history where a racial underclass was subjugated for a about 240 years and then institutionally supressed for another hundred after that in order to serve economic interests and justified through racism.

While I agree that the progress made has to be learned and celebrated... without the understanding of what and who was standing in the way of that progress and seeing what is left undone is failing to even try to tell the whole story.

Have you sources for your opening claim? Sources from a reputable selection of historians, as opposed to writers known specifically for anti racism rhetoric?

Hi, Ouroboros!

The first quoted sentence is unclear. Can you give a specific citation from a formal published CRT document?

The second quoted sentence implies just one proposed law. It is my understanding that there have been several through the years.

There may have been several, and they may have been defeated because the general actions associated with lynching— breaking into jails and executing prisoners without trial— are already illegal.

I’m on a phone now so maybe later I’ll satisfy your deep and abiding curiosity, assuming that’s what it is.

What do you mean, “if all that were true”.

You’re peddling and defending a hit piece by one of the most dishonest right wing blogs out there. One that lies regularly and generally blatantly, in an effort to push your buttons.

Which they obviously pushed hard, since you’re all on board with them.

If you actually read the article,there were only two real pieces of information in it.

One is the claim that the NEA pushed this as a policy goal. Actually, the link that your trash blog gave was to another even trashier blog that actually said the opposite.

As for referencing 30 school districts…….. there are literally thousands of school districts in the US. )26 in my small state alone). And not one of the ones the Examiner falsely portrays are actually teaching this theory, only acknowledging the past (something the trump loser fringe doesn’t want to do).

Critical race theory is being used by the right wing PR and fundraising machine to trigger bigots. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Sources for the claim in your second to last paragraph?

Have you sources for your opening claim? Sources from a reputable selection of historians, as opposed to writers known specifically for anti racism rhetoric?
A very good book to start is "American Radicals: How Ninetheenth Century Protest Shaped a Nation" by Holly Jackson. That book deals with the Progressive coalition of Abolitionists, Suffragists, the Free- Love movement of te 1840-50's, Free Landers and the Labor Rights Movement in the lead up to the Civil War and how that coalition fell apart after the war. It also is the best book that I have read that has put John Brown in perspective with other movements of the time.

"The Impending Crises 1846-1861" by David Potter is a good and microscopic look at the political factors in the lead up to Civil War.

"The War Before the War: Fugitive Slaves and the Struggle for America's Soul From the Revolution to the Civil War" by Andrew Delbanco is a good history about the effects of Dred Scott and the Fugitive Slave act in the lead up to the Civil War.

There are more books I can recommend if you want.

But by reading these one will find that solutions to the problems were more in line with the plan of the American Colonization Society which started as not a way to deal with Slaves of the south but Freedmen of the North. There was also a push toward and a pull from newly liberated Haiti to attract Northern Free Blacks who had the skills and money to grow that country.

There were also Southern Abolitionists. Most notably was Hinton Helper who wrote "The Impending Crises of the South" whose abolitionist ideas were banned in the South, but widely circulated in the North. He wasn't some woke dude though. His argument was against the oligarchy that had established in the South that the institution of Slavery was bad for the advancement of the white race. Helper was a virulent racist, but a widely influentual Abolitionist who scored himself an Ambassadorship in the Lincoln Administration. Post war, helper called for the expulsion of all black people and wrote books like "Negros in Negroland; The Negroes in America; and Negroes Generally;Also the Several Races of of White Men, Considered as the Involuntary and Predestined Supplanters of the Black Races"

We like to tell this story that all of the Abolitioninsts were like John Brown ( who himself was a terrifying religious nutcase accelerationist... but happened to be right) but the history is waaaaaay more messy than that.

Back
Top Bottom