• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conserva-Salesmen LIE about Obamas Trip to India!

And I would agree with you. But that is not the message you are sending with your posts on the subject of Olbermann and the college he attended. You are sending exactly the contrary message.

No. The message I am sending is that his 'Ivy League' education is bogus. The fact he's a sniveling little elitist has nothing to do with his college in my opinion.

Nice try.

But in all seriousness, how can you be the judge and jury on that point? You continue to call someone an elitist at the same time you are smugly looking down your nose at his education - which I would suspect you know you were not there with Mr. Olbermann to really know anything about the experience.

But in all seriousness, how can you be the judge and jury on that point? You continue to call someone an elitist at the same time you are smugly looking down your nose at his education - which I would suspect you know you were not there with Mr. Olbermann to really know anything about the experience.
I wasn't aware that expressing an opinion was frowned upon here.

Perhaps the concept I explained just now eludes you. Let me try again... His education, is not why I consider Olbermann an elitist. Education is not the ONLY criteria that denotes elitism.

I am capable of separating the two issues. You, apparently, are not.

But you are missing the point that you looking down on HIS education certainly paints you as the elitist you accuse him to be.

There is a huge difference between an opinion and passing judgment on someone. A huge difference.

Last edited:
But you are missing the point that you looking down on HIS education certainly paints you as the elitist you accuse him to be.

And you, not very surprisingly, are missing the point that I am not looking down on his education. I'm saying his categorizing it as 'Ivy League' is bogus. I'm sure the aggie college he went to is a fine institution. However, I am not the only one (as I pointed out previously) that thinks it's not 'Ivy league'... including Ivy League schools.

If someone says one flavor of ice cream they love to eat is 'one of the best flavors in the world', and others disagree and say so, are they looking down on his choice? No, they are expressing an opinion about the way that person categorizes said flavor.

Don't you understand that this is exactly the thing that comes off as elitist?

However, I am not the only one (as I pointed out previously) that thinks it's not 'Ivy league'... including Ivy League schools.

and then we have this

If someone says one flavor of ice cream they love to eat is 'one of the best flavors in the world', and others disagree and say so, are they looking down on his choice? No, they are expressing an opinion about the way that person categorizes said flavor.

Disguising an opinion as a fact is a misrepresentation of both. If you claim that the ice cream is one of the best flavors in the world that is not saying that "I like it" or "its good" or "damn that is one tasty cone". Its a statement you are trying to pass off as fact and so because you are saying it. Anyone is then perfectly in their rights to ask you just who are you and what are your qualifications to make such a judgment and based on what?

This isn't a thread about Olbermann, and my goal in life is not to defend Olbermann as some sort of liberal "voice of reason" (because I don't believe that to be the case) - it is simply to instruct the ignorant as to the error of their ways. That said....

Strike 1:The AG school affiliated with Cornell is certainly NOT Ivy League. Not by any real standard.

Cornell has been a member of the Ivy League for decades. Do you dispute this?

Following that, why don't you delineate the real "standards," as you interpret them to be, and explain to us exactly what difference it makes to the Cornell accreditation committee that awards Bachelor's Degrees? Thanks, ever so.

Strike 2:Olbermann did not get in following the strict standards set by Cornell itself, but those lesser standards of the affiliated aggie.

Irrelevant. The guy was accepted - AT THE AGE OF 16, no less - as fully qualified to attend communications courses at CORNELL UNIVERSITY, which were at the time offered at the Agricultural and Life Sciences campus (the original and still-main campus at CORNELL UNIVERSITY). I invite you to prove, in any reasonable or significant way, that a Communications BA from Cornell is somehow lacking from other Bachelor's Degree issued by Cornell University.

Ok.... GO! :2wave:

Strike 3:Even 'real Ivy League schools consider the AG school as 'less' than Ivy League...
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/22/nyregion/22image.html?pagewanted=print

HELL-O!? Didja read the article you linked to? :lamo

Many elite universities also experienced increases in applications this year, but few if any have been as large as Cornell's. Its rate of admissions, while declining, is still higher than the seven other Ivy League universities.

And:

[Cornell] university, whose large lecture classes include a celebrated introductory psychology course that draws as many as 1,500 students to a huge lecture hall.

Gosh. So many people trying to get into Cornell courses! :shock:

I'm guessing these people know something you're not capable of seeing OR admitting: your attempts to paint Cornell as a crap university has a distinct and direct correlation to your bizarro belief that, because Olbermann got his degree there it must be inferior and therefore suspect. How then, I wonder, do you deal with the fact that your heroinne?, Anne Coulter, holds a degree from the same university?

:lamo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom