• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Connection between being bisexual and having bipolar disorder?

Connection between being bisexual and having bipolar disorder?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I think there is. Being bisexual or even biracial can lead these people to becoming bipolar.

Studies suggest that bisexuals have higher rates of mental illness compared to heterosexuals however I would guess bisexuals have a higher rate of mental illness than gays or lesbians. I kind of view this as a behavioral cognitive dissonance.

What says you?

I think there is. Being bisexual or even biracial can lead these people to becoming bipolar.

Studies suggest that bisexuals have higher rates of mental illness compared to heterosexuals however I would guess bisexuals have a higher rate of mental illness than gays or lesbians. I kind of view this as a behavioral cognitive dissonance.

What says you?
Your source for this?

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Your source for this?

Here is a recent study:

Bisexual women and lesbians experienced more emotional stress as teenagers than did heterosexual women. Bisexual women were more than twice as likely to have had an eating disorder compared to lesbians. If a bisexual woman reported being out she was twice as likely to have had an eating disorder compared to a heterosexual woman. Lesbians who were not out and bisexual women who were out were 2-2.5 times more likely to experience suicidal ideation in the past 12 months. Lesbians and bisexual women who were not out were more likely to have had a suicide attempt compared to heterosexual women. Lesbians used psychotherapy for depression more commonly than did heterosexual or bisexual women. This is one of the few studies that compares lesbians, bisexual and heterosexual women. The implications of these findings are discussed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16893825

I think this has to do a lot with identity. A gay man or woman has a straight-line identity. Those that are in the closet or bisexuals.....not so much. A lot of biracial people as well may lack a true identity.

biracial:

Are you white? Are you black? What side do you identify with more?

bisexual?

I am not sure but I doubt most bisexuals are on a 50-50 split between men and women. Are you 60% bisexual? 70%? How is this determined?

Here is a recent study:

I think this has to do a lot with identity. A gay man or woman has a straight-line identity. Those that are in the closet or bisexuals.....not so much. A lot of biracial people as well may lack a true identity.

biracial:

bisexual?

I am not sure but I doubt most bisexuals are on a 50-50 split between men and women. Are you 60% bisexual? 70%? How is this determined?
Interesting. I'll try to find time to look at the article as a whole.

Do you know if they try to distinguish between such people having given disorders and those who have high stresses from either bullying, family/friends rejection or other outside issues?

I've frequently read that bisexuals take heat from gays and lesbians as well as straights. I've not experienced that in my local community but that's just one community. But that could certainly account for a higher rate of incidence for bisexuals over lesbians or gays.

Here is a recent study:

biracial:

bisexual?

The abstract does not refer to bipolar disorder or to biracial people.

To the abstract, of course those who don't conform to sexual "norms" are going to experience higher rates of emotional distress than heterosexuals. The pressure from family and society because they are outside the "norms", can be enormous. They could face rejection or worse. That's pretty stressful and not exactly "breaking news".

Interesting. I'll try to find time to look at the article as a whole.

Do you know if they try to distinguish between such people having given disorders and those who have high stresses from either bullying, family/friends rejection or other outside issues?

I've frequently read that bisexuals take heat from gays and lesbians as well as straights. I've not experienced that in my local community but that's just one community. But that could certainly account for a higher rate of incidence for bisexuals over lesbians or gays.

I am not trying to be controversial. I'll give you another interesting result of a study.

Those that are ambidextrous are more likely to have mental health problems than right-handed or left-handed people.

I would assume there could be some confusion being ambidextrous. I myself have trouble determining what is left and what is right when driving.

It can be mentally exhausting writing with your left hand, throwing with your right hand, etc...

(Sigh)

From your own study:

This study examines mental health issues among women of different sexual orientations. An anonymous survey was administered at 33 health care sites across the United States; the sample (N = 1304) included lesbians (n = 524), bisexual (n = 143) and heterosexual women (n = 637). Not only did sexual orientation influence the probability of experiencing emotional stress, but also whether a bisexual woman or lesbian had disclosed her sexual orientation (was "out") impacted the likelihood of having or having had mental health problems. Bisexual women and lesbians experienced more emotional stress as teenagers than did heterosexual women.

1. This is a study of women, not men and women.

2. Of course lesbian and bisexual women would experience greater stress due to their sexuality causing conflicts not only with the heterosexual majority, but also between the two groups themselves.

3. Lesbians (and IMO homosexuals) have many issues with those who identify as bi-sexual due to a commonly held view that bisexuals are "choosing" not to accept that they are "really" gay or lesbian.

4. Normal stresses can lead to issues with mental health, but sexual identity and relationship roles are an essential part of social interaction and thus are major stressors.

That does not mean bisexuals are inherently more susceptible to mental health problems, it means they may face greater pressures from both heterosexuals, and homosexuals/lesbians who don't know how to deal with them.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. Sexuality and mental illness have nothing to do with each other. Being bipolar shows incidence of mania and depression, idk what that would have to do with sexual preferences.

I am not trying to be controversial. I'll give you another interesting result of a study.

Those that are ambidextrous are more likely to have mental health problems than right-handed or left-handed people.

I would assume there could be some confusion being ambidextrous. I myself have trouble determining what is left and what is right when driving.

It can be mentally exhausting writing with your left hand, throwing with your right hand, etc...
Again, source?

Absolutely not. Sexuality and mental illness have nothing to do with each other. Being bipolar shows incidence of mania and depression, idk what that would have to do with sexual preferences.
Sickle cell anemia is way more prevelent in blacks than other races. This doesn't mean that it is caused by being black or is isolated to blacks. Similar to sickle cell anemia, it may be that the factors that cause homosexuality and bisexuality also contribute to the probably or other things. This kind of link is not uncommon. It doesn't mean that being homosexual or bisexual causes mania and depression. But it could mean that the same factors can increase the likelihood.

I've not seen anything in the abstract that indicates that those doing the study feel that being other than heterosexual is wrong. Just that it could be possible that being other than heterosexual could cause other issues. Of course they need a way to ensure that the bullying/rejection factor is accounted for to determine if this is only physical.

I like how the OP slips in "racial mixing is bad" like no one would notice.

The hedge isn't blocking all of the hat.

I like how the OP slips in "racial mixing is bad" like no one would notice.

The hedge isn't blocking all of the hat.

I am just stating the facts.

I am just stating the facts.
And exactly how are these supposed facts supported?

Quoting...

Being bisexual or even biracial can lead these people to becoming bipolar.

...and then some.
Being confused isn't the right way to go.

Back
Top Bottom