• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Connecticut now legal, Rhode Island working on it.

The difference with MJ as opposed to alcohol (since most laws governing it's detection and use are compared to it) is that rather than causing a potentially dangerous loss of function and responsible decision making, it tends to make users aware of their functional limitations. It does not result in a severe deficit in decision making capacity or loss of motor function; someone high on MJ would tend to be more careful when driving or partaking in dangerous activities, or avoid rather than attempt potentially risky activities if they are at the point of impairment.

In some instances, it actually enhances cognitive abilities; spending several decades in IT, a notable population of top-end computer programmers gain focus and comprehension of complex processes and solutions when high. Many employers in Silicon Valley type businesses understand this, and overlook drug testing and use for just that reason. MJ is a completely different animal, and those who have actually experienced these effects understand that.
Citation?

Last I checked, pot impairs reflexes, reaction time, and cognitive ability.

You claim otherwise...prove it.

Yeah, we legalized it late at night, in the 11th hour.

The issue we have...that we're ALL going to have, is 2 fold.

1. Employment. Employers are, without state aid, going to have to develop their own policies regarding pot, which means that, while legal, lots of folks still won't be able to partake, due to likely a variety of different company policies on it.

2. Operating cars, fire arms, or other dangerous equipment, while under the influence. How are police officers to enforce it?

1. Here in CO, employers can still fire you for off duty use, because THC stays in your system for so long that you really can't tell if you had it 3 weeks ago or 3 hours ago. But what has happened over time is that a lot of employers seem to have stopped testing for it, unless its an industry where any drug use can be dangerous. A company I had worked for did pre-hire testing for weed, and they had considered random testing, but decided they would lose too many of their good employees.

2. This one's trickier for sure. There is no test yet, that I'm aware of, that shows a level of impairment for weed. When someone is stopped for being under the influence or has an crash, various things are tested for now, but I'm not clear on how they determine how much weed is actually in your system.

Says the child resorting to personal attacks. But ok, I guess since you dont want to discuss the topic and just wanted to share sommething you liked on the internet, Ill move on to a thread of substance. You should probably go try twitter.🐀🌛

Maybe this entire website is not where you'd be happiest? There are numerous posts and topics that don't require debate. Do the food threads require debate? The tech help threads? You will be a lot happier in life, I would imagine, if everything doesn't have to be a long discussion on the merits of an observation or a debate on everything.

The difference with MJ as opposed to alcohol (since most laws governing it's detection and use are compared to it) is that rather than causing a potentially dangerous loss of function and responsible decision making, it tends to make users aware of their functional limitations. It does not result in a severe deficit in decision making capacity or loss of motor function; someone high on MJ would tend to be more careful when driving or partaking in dangerous activities, or avoid rather than attempt potentially risky activities if they are at the point of impairment.

In some instances, it actually enhances cognitive abilities; spending several decades in IT, a notable population of top-end computer programmers gain focus and comprehension of complex processes and solutions when high. Many employers in Silicon Valley type businesses understand this, and overlook drug testing and use for just that reason. MJ is a completely different animal, and those who have actually experienced these effects understand that.

Agreed. When you're high, you are fully aware that you're impaired. When you're drunk you think you're invincible.

So we seem to all be in agreement that this thread has no substance?
was your response to my having written:
Some posters here on Debate Politics actually do post about topics other than those meant for debate.

What I said was that some posters here post about topics others than those meant for debate. Not all subjects "not meant for debate", lack substance. Therefore we are not all in agreement that this thread has no substance. My belief is that the difficulty we are having is due to you having no grasp of logic.

Citation?

Last I checked, pot impairs reflexes, reaction time, and cognitive ability.

You claim otherwise...prove it.
You claim I claim otherwise; prove it.

Maybe this entire website is not where you'd be happiest? There are numerous posts and topics that don't require debate. Do the food threads require debate? The tech help threads? You will be a lot happier in life, I would imagine, if everything doesn't have to be a long discussion on the merits of an observation or a debate on everything.

Lol, youre stuck on food. THIS forum is about debating politics. The rules says when you start a thread to post original thoughts. Thats all I asked. Why cant you just follow the rules?

was your response to my having written:

What I said was that some posters here post about topics others than those meant for debate. Not all subjects "not meant for debate", lack substance. Therefore we are not all in agreement that this thread has no substance. My belief is that the difficulty we are having is due to you having no grasp of logic.

Many posters post here about topics other than those meant for debate. THATS THE PROBLEM.

Read the ****ing rules. And since this thread is going nowhere, ill go find one that actually is more than just sharing links and personal shit.

17. Starting a Thread - When starting a thread it is best to express your own thoughts in your own words. Threads w/o original content may be summarily closed.

Sometimes anecdotal evidence is vastly more accurate than compiled 3rd person data lacking experience. For instance, reading a report on the experience of skydiving with hundreds of datasets compiled from various professional and non-professional 'inexperienced' sources is anemic to what one experiences when your feet actually swing out the airplane and you climb out on 'the step' at 10,000 feet. Regardless how much a skydiver reads and studies the experience, actually doing it wipes out everything you thought was true.

Back in the 1980's I professionally road raced motorcycles; besides being a regular party'er and pothead, I knew I would not be as on-my-game if I attempted to race while stoned. But...another excelent racer and good friend in one of my run-groups found the mindset he achieved racing high was to his advantage. He encouraged me to try myself, but respected my decision not to. At the season finals at Daytona racing the high-bank, my friend rode up while I was putting on my leathers since we were next, flipped up his face shield, and had a burning roach clenched between his teeth! He took a big hit, blew the left over smoke in my face (not a shot-gun, but just for example), and handed me the roach while smiling and roared off to the grid. Well, as usually happened (he was always a top-3 finisher), I chased him around the 3.65 mile track for 30 miles, and managed to win the race ahead of the 39 other riders chasing him in a gutsy last-turn pass of the now second place finisher. An actual record of his pass and finish is now posted on Youtube, so I saw his winning pass as copied from the 16mm film MotoWorld shot. Yea, MJ does help some complete complex tasks that require the ultimate concentration and coordination.

As all my friends and acquaintances know, rather than be an armchair expert, I believe on putting myself out there; I experienced most all that life offers, and at least try most anything I figure I'll survive. Seeing life from 10,000 feet up, at 200mph, from the bottom of the ocean, and behind the glasses of 'drug' induced Schedule 1 through 3 chemistry I deemed non-lethal (I really didn't like much besides 'shrooms, acid, and MJ), I will die knowing I truly have experienced life, and not just read about it - no regrets, my bucket list has all but one entry crossed off; that will be the ultimate adventure.

Last edited:
Many posters post here about topics other than those meant for debate. THATS THE PROBLEM.

Read the ****ing rules. And since this thread is going nowhere, ill go find one that actually is more than just sharing links and personal shit.

17. Starting a Thread - When starting a thread it is best to express your own thoughts in your own words. Threads w/o original content may be summarily closed.

I'll bet you're fun at parties.

Lol, youre stuck on food. THIS forum is about debating politics. The rules says when you start a thread to post original thoughts. Thats all I asked. Why cant you just follow the rules?

Get back to me when you're a mod

You claim I claim otherwise; prove it.
The Old Soul said:

In some instances, it actually enhances cognitive abilities
; spending several decades in IT, a notable population of top-end computer programmers gain focus and comprehension of complex processes and solutions when high. Many employers in Silicon Valley type businesses understand this, and overlook drug testing and use for just that reason. MJ is a completely different animal, and those who have actually experienced these effects understand that.

This is a very interesting topic, with lots of potential to discuss and observe a very complex issue. Unfortunately some spoilers incapable of analysis and grasping labyrinthine concepts, turn valid subject matter into closed minded, dead end arguments; basically, a form of imposed censure.

Back
Top Bottom