• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congressmen: SWAT told to 'stand down' at Navy yard

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I hope a full investigation will be launched into this incident.

A congressman has confirmed a “stand down” order was given to a rescue team that could have responded almost immediately to the shooter running amok at the Washington Navy Yard more than a week ago.

In an interview with Jake Tapper of CNN, Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, said his information came from a member of the rescue team.

Read more at Congressman: SWAT told ‘stand down’ at Navy Yard

Ugh, WND? That site is just brutal with the pop-up ads ... pop-up blocker at work doesn't catch half of them.

Yes, lets spend oodles of time asking why the Capitol Police eat breakfast. I mean, who really wants to know the answers to important questions like why the loon was given security clearance to enter this facility.

A congressman has confirmed a “stand down” order was given to a rescue team that could have responded almost immediately to the shooter running amok at the Washington Navy Yard more than a week ago.

In an interview with Jake Tapper of CNN, Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, said his information came from a member of the rescue team.

Why do you think they were told to stand down?

Well I mean either this SWAT team member told the congressmen this or not.

In the heat of crisis, I tend to give the in-the-field decision makers the benefit of the doubt. IIRC, there were early reports that a gunman was "down." If that information had been relayed to a SWAT team leader, the "stand down" order might seem to make sense.

In the heat of crisis, I tend to give the in-the-field decision makers the benefit of the doubt. IIRC, there were early reports that a gunman was "down." If that information had been relayed to a SWAT team leader, the "stand down" order might seem to make sense.

If the team leader received a false report, we need to find out why he received a false report and attempt to prevent the same situation in the future.

WND?

I feel sorry for you.

Why do you think they were told to stand down?

I think their may have been good reason for it depending on what other agencies were on site or on the way. If local police or other security personel were on site I wouldn't want the SWAT team busting in and mistaking the good guys for bad guys. I don't know what the real reasons were but that would make sense to me.

Who is responsible for giving such an order, and more importantly...WHY! :2mad:

Greetings, apdst. :2wave:

Who knows? I think an investigation should be conducted to find out.

If the team leader received a false report, we need to find out why he received a false report and attempt to prevent the same situation in the future.

Yes, obviously. But getting Congress involves just turns it into a partisan witch hunt. Somehow I suspect the Representative from Texas is more interest in making this stick to Democrats than actually saving lives in the future.

Who is responsible for giving such an order, and more importantly...WHY! :2mad:

Greetings, apdst. :2wave:

It is not out of the ordinary. SWAT does not charge in like the cavalry. They come in with a prepared plan. Yes, that means that they will hold back in an ongoing incident rather than charging in like rambo and find a proper moment to come in. Yes, that is even if people are being brutally killed while they sit and wait. That is not out of the ordinary at all, and i am not surprised to hear they did that.

Sounds like BS to me

Some unnamed cop says they received a stand down order? This cop tells the media and a congressperson, but doesn't say who gave the stand down order?

What, is there some sort of ambiguity about the chain of command there?

Looks like stand down orders from unnamed commanders is the new boogieman of the wingnuts

It is not out of the ordinary. SWAT does not charge in like the cavalry. They come in with a prepared plan. Yes, that means that they will hold back in an ongoing incident rather than charging in like rambo and find a proper moment to come in. Yes, that is even if people are being brutally killed while they sit and wait. That is not out of the ordinary at all, and i am not surprised to hear they did that.

In view of the fact that SWAT usually does come in like the cavalry, and we expect them to do so and get the messes cleaned up, exactly when might we expect to be told what plans they might have for future problems? For you to state that it's reasonable for them to stand down and watch while people are being slaughtered doesn't even make sense! Has it become "every man for himself, because I was told to stand down?" My God! There are grieving families involved here...what if it was your son or another member of your family? Shades of Benghazi becoming the norm! I hope I misunderstood your post! :wow:

Greetings, tererun. :2wave:

Yes, obviously. But getting Congress involves just turns it into a partisan witch hunt. Somehow I suspect the Representative from Texas is more interest in making this stick to Democrats than actually saving lives in the future.

And any Democrat that gets involved will be more interested in protecting Obama's messianic image than saving lives.

Even while people are being killed??

Even while people are being killed??

Yes, even while people are being killed because more people may get killed if they don't have enough information on what exactly is going on.

In fact, we don't have enough info right now to even judge this situation. We have no clue why they were told to stand down, but it isn't something that should be of interest to Congress unless there is some credible evidence that it was someone in the actual government, not the chain of command of the SWAT team that gave the order to stand down. Who gave the order and why exactly should be found out before sending this up needlessly to Congress or any other upper agency.

In view of the fact that SWAT usually does come in like the cavalry, and we expect them to do so and get the messes cleaned up, exactly when might we expect to be told what plans they might have for future problems? For you to state that it's reasonable for them to stand down and watch while people are being slaughtered doesn't even make sense! Has it become "every man for himself, because I was told to stand down?" My God! There are grieving families involved here...what if it was your son or another member of your family? Shades of Benghazi becoming the norm! I hope I misunderstood your post! :wow:

Greetings, tererun. :2wave:

You are thinking of the movie view of SWAT teams. The only time a SWAt team would mocve right in on a situation is if they already had a plan to come in. In other words if they already had a planned raid they had worked out for a while. This was not a planned raid. Yes, it is cruel and horrible that people will die because of this, but it is also how they work. It is the tactical part of their nasme to employ tactics and strategy and not charge in like a bunch of squids and hope things go their way. Because of that they need recon, a plan, an idea of how many people they are facing, an idea of how many innocents are there, maps, floor plans, an account of weapons that might be laying around that the bad guys might now have, and tons of other preparation. That is how they work. Yes, that means when someone is itching to charge in without any of that stuff they would be told to stand down until the team is ready to go in.

Yes, even while people are being killed because more people may get killed if they don't have enough information on what exactly is going on.

You don't have any idea what, "stand down", means. Do you?

In fact, we don't have enough info right now to even judge this situation. We have no clue why they were told to stand down, but it isn't something that should be of interest to Congress unless there is some credible evidence that it was someone in the actual government, not the chain of command of the SWAT team that gave the order to stand down. Who gave the order and why exactly should be found out before sending this up needlessly to Congress or any other upper agency.

Exactly, which is why there needs to be an investigation to find out why there was an order given to stand down, in the middle of a hot situation.

Then how do you explain Benghazi?

Back
Top Bottom