• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congressman who once feared Guam could capsize compares Jewish settlers to 'termites'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
[FONT=&quot]A Democratic member of the House Armed Services Committee compared Jewish Israeli settlers to termites on Monday while speaking at an event sponsored by an anti-Israel organization that supports boycotts of the Jewish state.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Rep. Hank Johnson, D- Ga., launched into a tirade against Israel and its policies toward the Palestinians, comparing Jewish people who live in disputed territories to “termites” that destroy homes. Johnson also compared Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman to Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, a remark that drew vocal agreement from those in the room.[/FONT]
Congressman who once feared Guam could capsize compares Jewish settlers to 'termites' | Fox News
What a class act this moron is.

Re: Congressman who once feared Guam could capsize compares Jewish settlers to 'termi

Johnson is such an idiot. I've met him, and he's worse in person when he doesn't have his staffers to help him prepare before he speaks. I suppose, though, that he truly represents the best of his constituency and that he represents them well.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain

Re: Congressman who once feared Guam could capsize compares Jewish settlers to 'termi

What astounds, and distresses, me is that the Guam tipping over and sinking fiasco was six years ago and the fool is still in Congress. Something is seriously wrong.

What astounds, and distresses, me is that the Guam tipping over and sinking fiasco was six years ago and the fool is still in Congress. Something is seriously wrong.
He's from Cynthia McKinney's district.

The rhetoric is unfortunate, but the settlers in the West Bank tend to be extreme orthodox Jews who genuinely believe that God gave them all of Israel (including the West Bank) and remain there in spite of the full knowledge of how their presence destabilizes the region. I do not hold a high opinion of them. I do not a hold a high opinion of the Palestinians who would happily purge all of Israel of every last Jew regardless, but that is another topic.

The rhetoric is unfortunate, but the settlers in the West Bank tend to be extreme orthodox Jews who genuinely believe that God gave them all of Israel (including the West Bank) and remain there in spite of the full knowledge of how their presence destabilizes the region. I do not hold a high opinion of them. I do not a hold a high opinion of the Palestinians who would happily purge all of Israel of every last Jew regardless, but that is another topic.

Wrong forum for such, not going there, his idiocy knows no bounds.

Wrong forum for such, not going there, his idiocy knows no bounds.

I only say the latter because it so easy to assume the opposite from such a post. However, in spite of the (as I said, "unfortunate") rhetoric, there is clear reason to not hold the settlers in high regard. They really are problematic.

I only say the latter because it so easy to assume the opposite from such a post. However, in spite of the (as I said, "unfortunate") rhetoric, there is clear reason to not hold the settlers in high regard. They really are problematic.

Start a thread in the right place and I will disagree or agree with you there. This thread was placed here to discuss the idiots idiocy, not the subject of his views. And yeah, I nearly put it down there but I didn't want to have a thread about the ME instead of his stupidity.

Start a thread in the right place and I will disagree or agree with you there. This thread was placed here to discuss the idiots idiocy, not the subject of his views. And yeah, I nearly put it down there but I didn't want to have a thread about the ME instead of his stupidity.

If you feel my comments are off topic then report me. Otherwise, how about you actually form a cogent argument for why his comments were idiocy. That his comments were stupid is a conclusion, not an argument.

What do you think the response would have been had this been a republican congressman who said this?
1) Calls for his immediate resignation
2) Demands that every republican denounce and disavow what he had said
3) Charges that this 'dog-whistle' exposes the anti-Semitic feelings of everyone on the right

What do you think the response would have been had this been a republican congressman who said this?
3) Charges that this 'dog-whistle' exposes the anti-Semitic feelings of everyone on the right

Chances are if a Republican said this he'd get a very poor reception from the GOP and the media would eat him alive.

Well, they'd just treat him the same way people treat Louie Gohmert or Steve King. They'll all just laugh at him.

Moderator's Warning:
Thread closed as the OP mentions specifics relating to the I/P conflict specifically Jewish Settlers/ Disputed Territories/ Palestinians and this is not the ME Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom