• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Congressman Murtha has said the U.S. Military is broken. Do you believe that?

Congressman Murtha says the U.S. Military is broken. Do you believe that?

• Yes

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
Navy Pride said:
No I would never do that to a man that served his country in the Military like Murtha did..........I just think he has sold out his conservative beliefs to a liberal like Pelosi and that is sad..........
So why has he never sold out his "conservative" beliefs to liberals like Pelosi before? He has a consistent record of going against the tide in the Democratic party.

TimmyBoy said:
The US military is overstretched but I wouldn't say it is "broken." In order to break the US military you have to break it's heart and soul and this simply hasn't happenned nor will it ever happen. The heart and soul of the US military has never been broken and never will be.
I think this is more along the lines of what Murtha is trying to say. Logistically things could be going much better. It seems like poor logistics have plagued this entire war, and Bush has been consistent in his refusal to listen to the advice of many experienced ex-generals who have been there and done that.

Pacridge said:
I take it that's a- no, you don't have an actual quote of him saying it. People saying he said it isn't exactly the same thing as him saying it... is it?

No I don't have a quote I just have what I posted and there are probably more references to it if you google it.. And like I said 2 Congressmen debated in tonight on Hannity and Coolmes and there was not any debate as to whether he said it or not but the debate was about whether it was true or not..........

Oh and the USA Today newspaper is hardly a bastion for republicans or conservatives so you believe what you like......

M14 Shooter said:
The US military is, presently, doing everything it is supposed to be doing as wll as it could be reasonably expected to do it.

Given that, there's no basis for the argument that it is broken.

Murta, like so many Democrats before him, has sold his soul for political gain.

What does this political gain of Murtha's entail?

Our Military is not broke no matter how you on the left try and spin it.......

Quit bull********. This isn't the first time that I've seen you accuse your beloved republican partys political opponents of using propaganda. Can't you think of anything more creative?

And by the way whats with the ****ing................things? Its as........though.............you...........think..........this...........is............gonna..........make.........your.........opinions.......have..........more.........weight

I mean seriously I could understand the occasional . . . but seriously when you do it a thousand times I mean thats enough right? We get the point already theres a dramatic pause!

What does this political gain of Murtha's entail?

Who knows what his true motivations are? It seems to me that he's taking a serious risk and he seems to actually be honest.

People have such short memories. It would be an outrage for the Republicans to attack this guy since he's a war veteran after all but after awhile it starts to become acceptable. Just the same as how outrageous it was to attack the son of a dead soldier and then afterwhile they'll wait and when they are most vulnerable to criticism, they'll pounce. And people don't give a **** if Bush and the other senators don't say jack **** because those ****ing semi-"intellectuals" on conservative radio shows feed give them the courage to stand up to the sons of dead soldiers and the war veterans who are now considered traitors. Bush doesn't need to do anything. He has all the support he needs from them. His supporters will feed the flock while he gets to remain untouchable. I don't care what you think of the War in Iraq. Its so obvious its blinding. And its not just the Republicans either. Its the democrats too. Democrats don't give a **** as much as Republicans don't. I sometimes wonder why they all flock to seperate sides. Maybe they should all just join up together and rule this country and get over it.

God I feel sick.

What i heard on the sound bite that was replayed on TV was not the word "broken" but the word "TIRED". I'd have to hear the whole speech now since this has become such a problem. I can't see this man saying "The United States Military is "BROKEN". That's just not his personality. But in any event now i want to HEAR the whole speech.

Part of the argument also goes to the idea that all the service personnel who have been interviewed have supported the war. Hell when i was in the service everyone who was on active duty, if asked, supported the war and those who did not (the were very few) were draftees and their life was made miserable. The protesters who were military we EX-military and disabled vets. The situation is probably not different today. I am sure there are a lot of people in the service who are not for this war. But today the military is totally volunteer. Anyone who would actively protest or even complain about the situation is F""king with their career and had better to be ready for civilian life and another career.

FinnMacCool said:
Who knows what his true motivations are? It seems to me that he's taking a serious risk and he seems to actually be honest.

People have such short memories. It would be an outrage for the Republicans to attack this guy since he's a war veteran after all but after awhile it starts to become acceptable. Just the same as how outrageous it was to attack the son of a dead soldier and then afterwhile they'll wait and when they are most vulnerable to criticism, they'll pounce. And people don't give a **** if Bush and the other senators don't say jack **** because those ****ing semi-"intellectuals" on conservative radio shows feed give them the courage to stand up to the sons of dead soldiers and the war veterans who are now considered traitors. Bush doesn't need to do anything. He has all the support he needs from them. His supporters will feed the flock while he gets to remain untouchable. I don't care what you think of the War in Iraq. Its so obvious its blinding. And its not just the Republicans either. Its the democrats too. Democrats don't give a **** as much as Republicans don't. I sometimes wonder why they all flock to seperate sides. Maybe they should all just join up together and rule this country and get over it.

God I feel sick.

Hey I salute the man for his military record......I just don't think our military is broke......................

Navy Pride said:
Hey I salute the man for his military record......I just don't think our military is broke......................

I am with Navy Pride on this one. The military is overstretched but it is not "broken." It takes alot more than troops, money and excellent equipment to make a strong military. It takes heart and spirit and the heart and spirit is something that cannot be "broken."

TimmyBoy said:
I am with Navy Pride on this one. The military is overstretched but it is not "broken." It takes alot more than troops, money and excellent equipment to make a strong military. It takes heart and spirit and the heart and spirit is something that cannot be "broken."

A few words spoken in sincere dissidence do little to damper the service record of this esteemed patriot. Spare us your, and NavyPrides rhetoric.

Hey I salute the man for his military record. I just don't think our military is broke.

Not trying to flame but who cares what you think? This is how it always starts. Pretty soon he's gonna say another thing that people are going to throw around and then, after awhile, the fact that he's a war veteran will completely be begone from the eyes of the republicans and then we will all go back to doing the same **** we were doing. Hopefully the democrats will prevent the masses from forgetting this though ulitimately, it won't be good for either side. I am beginning to realize that while I supported the democrats because ulitmately anything bad against him is good for us but all politicians are two faced and I support neither of them either. Besides Bush isn't gonna have a second term so why bother trying to be popular?

Conflict said:
A few words spoken in sincere dissidence do little to damper the service record of this esteemed patriot. Spare us your, and NavyPrides rhetoric.

What the hell are you talking about? No one is criticizing Murtha's military record.........

But why in the world does anyone care what he thinks? This stuff will only get publicity because people are gonna somehow spin it into making Murtha look like some evil frankenstein so they can discredit him about his criticism of the War in Iraq.

BTW does anyone have a transcript for this?

FinnMacCool said:
But why in the world does anyone care what he thinks? This stuff will only get publicity because people are gonna somehow spin it into making Murtha look like some evil frankenstein so they can discredit him about his criticism of the War in Iraq.

Becasue he was once a conservative democratic hawk and now has did a 180and become a democratic liberal dove............

Just seems kind of strange wouldn't you say? Maybe not..........:roll:

26 X World Champs said:
I believe that the meaning of his words is that he is concerned that our Army personnel do not have the proper equipment to do their jobs and that endangers them.

And then how does the military get/repair/refurbish the equipment it needs?

By spending money.

So, we have Murtha arguing that we need to do something that so many here argue we cannot afford to do - spend more money on the war.

So... what's it going to be?

Navy Pride said:
What the hell are you talking about? No one is criticizing Murtha's military record.........

I am saying that if anybody has a legitimate dissenting opinion.... it is someone like Murtha. I'm not saying that you are attacking his character but others have. Forgive me as this is an issue that is personal to me in a sense. I'm tired of people attacking Murtha and perhaps i've become a bit overbearing in defending him.

M14 Shooter said:
And then how does the military get/repair/refurbish the equipment it needs?

By spending money.

So, we have Murtha arguing that we need to do something that so many here argue we cannot afford to do - spend more money on the war.

So... what's it going to be?

Spend more money on supporting our troops... if you quasi-patriots insist that they stay there. Don't pay it all out to halliburton for rebuilding the infrastructure that our bombers destroyed. :shock:

Becasue he was once a conservative democratic hawk and now has did a 180and become a democratic liberal dove............

Just seems kind of strange wouldn't you say? Maybe not..........

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. You just proved my point.

Conflict said:
I am saying that if anybody has a legitimate dissenting opinion.... it is someone like Murtha. I'm not saying that you are attacking his character but others have. Forgive me as this is an issue that is personal to me in a sense. I'm tired of people attacking Murtha and perhaps i've become a bit overbearing in defending him.

So you can't disagree with him because he is a military veteran.give me a break..........Using your logic I am 21 year military veteran so you had better agree with me then............

FinnMacCool said:
See this is exactly what I'm talking about. You just proved my point.

I think people just wonder how he can do a 180 on his thinking........That is the same as me changing from a conservative to a liberal.It ain't gonna happen........

So you can't disagree with him because he is a military veteran.give me a break..........Using your logic I am 21 year military veteran so you had better agree with me then............

When someone tells you they served in the military, do you feel you respect them more because of it?

I think people just wonder how he can do a 180 on his thinking........That is the same as me changing from a conservative to a liberal.It ain't gonna happen........

See you did it again. Keep it up.

FinnMacCool said:
When someone tells you they served in the military, do you feel you respect them more because of it?

What he did in the military has nothing to do with his politics now........

Navy Pride said:

He's not only a veteran... he's a congressman.. and he is going against the grain of the detrimental will of his peers. I think he is a very sincere, very educated individual. I think he knows a lot of things that Bush and his administration do not and for good reason. Do you dispute that? The term veteran is not just a word... it holds value in empirical education that cannot be obtained by dodging.

Back
Top Bottom