• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Congressman Charles Rangel in a Time Magazine interview

t125eagle

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
In Time Magazine's October 3, 2005 there was an article written by Joe Klein about some things that Congressman Charles Rangel (New York). Congressman Rangel compared George Bush to Bull Conner. Bull Conner was the Police Chief of Burmingham, Alabama when the Civil Rights peacemarchers rode through. He attacked them with pit bulls and water hoses. what did Bush ever do to him??

The article went on to quote Congressman Rangel as saying that what happened in New Orleans and with african americans in general was because of white racism and republican neglect.
The article continues, with Mr. Klein, that some of the Civil Rights generation are "browbeating whites." I'm not quite sure what he means by that. But statistics show that there are 2 times as many poor whites as there are poor blacks. why does no one ever mention this??

But it was suggested that if the Congressional Black Caucus was really interested in ending poverty then they should change their name to the Congressional Anti-poverty caucus and work with congressman, both hispanic and white, who have large numbers of poor in their districts.

and yet the Congressional Black Causus doesn't. why? because I believe they are not really interested in poor if they are not black. they are only interested in helping themselves.

Yes, and many others have agreed, many other black congressmen, and the NAACP thinks he's Hitler, some nuts even believe he blew up the levee's in N.O! This must stop, when are some responsible leaders going to take these welfare w**res to task? How long are we going to live in the days of segregation, race wars, and blind hatred? I'll tell you, as long as these leeches can continue to stir the pot, and keep the meal ticket alive!

The president has spent more on poverty then any other, home ownership is up among blacks, and he vowed to help them own a home in LA, after the rebuilding. Now you tell me, who is the ignorant racist in this scenario, Rangel or Bush?:roll:

Can we get a link?

i read it out of the magazine and took notes. i'm not sure where to find a link to it. sorry.

Deegan said:
The link was a good effort, but unfortunately, its main discussion point it from a FOX News show which is dominated by the conservative Hannity and keeps Colmes in a corner for a few sentences every now and then. So that article may not run well with these super liberal people out there...

However, I still disagree with Rangel, even though I am slightly liberal and a Democrat. I disagree with any crazy claims of racism, and Im generaly sick of the finger pointing racism here, racism there, "white man always keepin' me down" bullshit that some people try to claim. Everything wrong with "certain" groups of blacks is blamed on whites. When is the last time you saw a poor black criminal confess that his problems are his own fault? Now im certain that I'm going to be called a racist through my comments, only because I am not sympathetic towards blacks when it comes to situations like these. Then OJ Simpson was under trial for a murder that he was obviously guilty of... blacks began protesting and ( I BELEIVE) the jury feared an outbreak of crime if he was committed, so they found him not guilty. In this situation, I believe Congressman Rangel is trying to stir up another one of these racial situations in order to damange the Republican party's image amongst blacks. As much as I would like the Republican Party's image to be damaged, this isnt the way to go. I disagree with this tactic because it only causes a more divided america and could cause the country as a whole to take steps backwards all the way to the days of the Black Panthers and KKK and all that stupid bullshit.

Caine said:
The link was a good effort, but unfortunately, its main discussion point it from a FOX News show which is dominated by the conservative Hannity and keeps Colmes in a corner for a few sentences every now and then. So that article may not run well with these super liberal people out there...

However, I still disagree with Rangel, even though I am slightly liberal and a Democrat. I disagree with any crazy claims of racism, and Im generaly sick of the finger pointing racism here, racism there, "white man always keepin' me down" bullshit that some people try to claim. Everything wrong with "certain" groups of blacks is blamed on whites. When is the last time you saw a poor black criminal confess that his problems are his own fault? Now im certain that I'm going to be called a racist through my comments, only because I am not sympathetic towards blacks when it comes to situations like these. Then OJ Simpson was under trial for a murder that he was obviously guilty of... blacks began protesting and ( I BELEIVE) the jury feared an outbreak of crime if he was committed, so they found him not guilty. In this situation, I believe Congressman Rangel is trying to stir up another one of these racial situations in order to damange the Republican party's image amongst blacks. As much as I would like the Republican Party's image to be damaged, this isnt the way to go. I disagree with this tactic because it only causes a more divided america and could cause the country as a whole to take steps backwards all the way to the days of the Black Panthers and KKK and all that stupid bullshit.

Sounds like we agree, even if you are suspicious of FOX!;)

Deegan said:
Sounds like we agree, even if you are suspicious of FOX!;)
I have to be suspicious of any news show that dosen't give the Democratic side a chance to even speak....... Even if they are wrong ( like Congressman Rangel)
:rofl

Caine said:
I have to be suspicious of any news show that dosen't give the Democratic side a chance to even speak....... Even if they are wrong ( like Congressman Rangel)
:rofl

I heard him speak, to the point of nausea, and was certainly given his time, will he regret it, that's the question?;)

Deegan said:
I heard him speak, to the point of nausea, and was certainly given his time, will he regret it, that's the question?;)
If he dosen't he is a frikkin' idiot. Hopefully New York citizens will decide to put someone else in there next time...Its fools like that who make Democrats look like idiots, which, In my opinion, they are not.

Caine said:
If he dosen't he is a frikkin' idiot. Hopefully New York citizens will decide to put someone else in there next time...Its fools like that who make Democrats look like idiots, which, In my opinion, they are not.

I agree, you have some fine Senators, and congressmen, but you are correct, these fools will only cause you to continue to slide.

t125eagle said:
In Time Magazine's October 3, 2005 there was an article written by Joe Klein about some things that Congressman Charles Rangel (New York). Congressman Rangel compared George Bush to Bull Conner. Bull Conner was the Police Chief of Burmingham, Alabama when the Civil Rights peacemarchers rode through. He attacked them with pit bulls and water hoses. what did Bush ever do to him??

The article went on to quote Congressman Rangel as saying that what happened in New Orleans and with african americans in general was because of white racism and republican neglect.
The article continues, with Mr. Klein, that some of the Civil Rights generation are "browbeating whites." I'm not quite sure what he means by that. But statistics show that there are 2 times as many poor whites as there are poor blacks. why does no one ever mention this??

But it was suggested that if the Congressional Black Caucus was really interested in ending poverty then they should change their name to the Congressional Anti-poverty caucus and work with congressman, both hispanic and white, who have large numbers of poor in their districts.

Mr. Rangel suffers from selective amnesia. Here's a good one:

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0524,hentoff,64873,6.html

and

http://www.iitsllc.com/fa/blacks.htm

Caine said:
Im not sure if I agree with the conclusions of that 2nd link...
Again, for those always ready to attack, this dosen't mean I agree with the Congressman himself, I just don't agree with those opinions of him.
If that makes any sense in a Black and White world (metaphor)

That's the point, it's not a black and white world, it's a rich and poor. And the poor need to do more to pull themselves up by the boot straps, and we should continue to help them do that very thing. Just declaring that all these folks are poor, and the only thing we can do is throw money at the problem, is IMO absurd.

Deegan said:
That's the point, it's not a black and white world, it's a rich and poor. And the poor need to do more to pull themselves up by the boot straps, and we should continue to help them do that very thing. Just declaring that all these folks are poor, and the only thing we can do is throw money at the problem, is IMO absurd.

When I said my black and white reference was a metaphor, I meant that with that 2nd link, whoever wrote it generalized an opinion of him based off of him supporting Fidel, they made it like this...
Support for Fidel = Support for any of Fidel's government decisions
That support = Support for Oppression of Afro-Cubans

Support for Fidel = Support for Dictatorship in General
That support = Support for Dictatorship in USA.

That type of thinking is ignorant. Who knows why he supports Fidel, but im certain these generalizations are wrong... and again.. I don't agree with the Congressman at all, But I hate this sort of generalizing opinions of people based on one thing.

And yes, Poor people should get off of thier asses and support themselves. I think the Federal government is taking too much blame for something that should have been the Local and State government's responsibility prior to the Declaration of Disaster by the President. In NC, we have never required the Federal Government to tell us what to do before a Hurricane, and we get lots of hurricanes, even if they aren't as powerful and devastating as Katrina and Rita and stuff. We've been able to handle our own actions pretty well.

And this opinion comming from someone who dislikes our current Federal Government, namely the President.

i wonder how the poor would do without the federal government's help, like before Roosevelt's new deal? i wonder if there was no welfare, how would things work...

i agree with you all. i'm a republican and democrats are and can be smart but congressman rangel makes it out like every democrat is a crazed anti white zealot.

t125eagle said:
i wonder how the poor would do without the federal government's help, like before Roosevelt's new deal? i wonder if there was no welfare, how would things work...

i agree with you all. i'm a republican and democrats are and can be smart but congressman rangel makes it out like every democrat is a crazed anti white zealot.

Every side has that one guy who makes the whole group look bad, like with Tom DeLay.

But as for your comment about the Poor. If the government didn't help the poor, I believe crime rates would be up by at least 30% more than they already are, especially in metro areas.

HOw do you suppose people come to the conclusion,that he's hitler lol
or that he blew the levees up lol
and why is crazy people suicide bombing america

after you have come across so many whys you must ask yourself why
ARE all these people crazy.
OR is there something hideous really going down and there really is something to some of the whys?.
Delay doesnt make them look that bad next BUSH
Bush makes the world laugh, he's a regular comedian.

Canuck said:
HOw do you suppose people come to the conclusion,that he's hitler lol
or that he blew the levees up lol
and why is crazy people suicide bombing america

after you have come across so many whys you must ask yourself why
ARE all these people crazy.
OR is there something hideous really going down and there really is something to some of the whys?.
Delay doesnt make them look that bad next BUSH
Bush makes the world laugh, he's a regular comedian.

The threadkiller has struck!...I see we forgot to put blood above the door of the forum again....

hmm. lol. i know cpr, so if need be i can try and bring it back!

Back
Top Bottom