• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congressional term limits

Would you support this amendment to the US Constitution?

• Total voters
That's not the voter's judgement, it's the government's. And it results in an increase in the power and rights of the people, not a decrease.

So? Who are you to say that an increase in the power/rights of the people is inherently a good thing, if they want to elect someone who promises the exact opposite? Is it written down in a document somewhere? Perhaps the same one I'm seeking to amend with my term limits proposal?

misterman said:
Fine, I won't call it anti-democratic. I'll call it taking away part of the rights of voters.

Potato, po-tah-to. Telling a democratically-elected president he can't censor the press is taking away part of the rights of voters as well.

misterman said:
As someone noted above, everyone loves their congressman and hates everyone else's. Incumbency rate is determined by voters in each district; while approval rate is about the whole Congress.

That's one of the problems, and is why we need to shake up Congress more often. If there was some new blood in Congress every now and then, perhaps the institution would not be so perennially unpopular.

Last edited:
My brother uses the main argument I've been using, but puts it in an economic context.

Sophistpundit: The Case for Congressional Term Limits

Of course the problem with this is that even though I may not like a particular senator or congressman, it does not mean that I will happen to be one of his constituents.

Yes, it is a problem when you want to pick someone else's representative!

The arrogance surrounding this issue is amazing sometimes.

So? Who are you to say that an increase in the power/rights of the people is inherently a good thing, if they want to elect someone who promises the exact opposite? Is it written down in a document somewhere?

Yes - the Declaration of Independence. Look up "inalienable rights."

Potato, po-tah-to. Telling a democratically-elected president he can't censor the press is taking away part of the rights of voters as well.

Well, no, it's not.

That's one of the problems, and is why we need to shake up Congress more often. If there was some new blood in Congress every now and then, perhaps the institution would not be so perennially unpopular.

Perhaps. Now all you have to do is go convince the voters of that. (Using your inalienable right to freedom of speech by the way).

As I understand it, there is supposed to be a 3-way balance of power between the Presidency, Congress, and the Court system.

Don't believe all that, if I remember correctly there is nothing in The Constitution about the three branches being balanced.

Congress naturally has the most power, there are just three branches with differential powers.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…