• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Congressional Term Limits

P

press

I am one of the minority who opposes Congressional term limits. Many argue that term limits would make Congressmen more responsive to the people. I, though logic, think otherwise.

Imagine if this amendment gets passed. A Congressman on his last term probably wouldn't give a rat's ass what his constituents think because he won't have to answer to them anymore. For all the people have the power to do, the Congressman could declare himself a communist. Imagine if two-thirds of Congress were on their last term! They could pass an amendment stripping us of the first amendment. I would leave the country for Canada before I let this happen.

I'm sorry, majority, but I cannot support Congressional term limits.

One possible hole in your argument:

Have presidents spontaneously declared themselves "communists" in their second term? Do we see this problem with congressmen and senators who are about to retire?

Also congressmen whose term limits are up might want to go on to a different office. They might want to be senator, governor, president, or they might become a state senator or a mayor. In this case, they would certainly have to listen to their consituents.

Also, they cannot take away the first ammendment - that is required to go to the states.

I not saying that your wrong neccisarily, but those are just some thoughts to throw out there.

I said probably. No no one has ever done that, but who's to say that, because no one has ever done that, that no one will ever do that?:mrgreen:

press said:
I am one of the minority who opposes Congressional term limits. Many argue that term limits would make Congressmen more responsive to the people. I, though logic, think otherwise.

Imagine if this amendment gets passed. A Congressman on his last term probably wouldn't give a rat's ass what his constituents think because he won't have to answer to them anymore. For all the people have the power to do, the Congressman could declare himself a communist. Imagine if two-thirds of Congress were on their last term! They could pass an amendment stripping us of the first amendment. I would leave the country for Canada before I let this happen.

What you are suggesting could never happen.

galenrox said:
I'm opposed to congressional term limits, because then it leaves the judgement of whether or not someone is out of touch with their constituents to the actual constituents.
Although I think it's important to keep things changing in Washington, lest we fall into political stagnation, I think that since congresspeople are elected on a more local basis, some local areas don't change much over time, and it shouldn't be forced upon them. It gets more complicated as you get to wider areas of constituents, senators and the president.

But when it comes to congressmen, here in Iowa City we have Jim Leach. He'll be running for his 16th term next year, and ******* do I hope he's around for 16 more. I think we will never find a man who will more accurately represent this district. Forcing him out would be an extreme disservice to the people of my district, and I can assume the same applies elsewhere.
That's another good reason to support my claim. I live in Arkansas now, but I used to live in southern Mississippi (hey! I'm a southerner! Sue me!). In that district, we had a Congressman called Gene Taylor (click here. He is by far the best Congressman that I've seen in my life. He's serving his 8th term, and he's answered to the people of South Mississippi on so many occasions. When Katrina hit, according to a relative who still lives there, he didn't fly up to Washington where he had another residence, but stayed in South Mississppi to help tend to local matters. He worked alongside the Red Cross, putting his own misery aside (he lost a home in the hurricane) to generously and selflessly think of his constituents. He even [/i]went to New Orleans to help[/i]!!!!!!!!!!!:shock:

I hope he stays in office until he dies, and then I hope his son takes his place (if he has a son, that is:mrgreen: ).

galenrox said:
I'm opposed to congressional term limits, because then it leaves the judgement of whether or not someone is out of touch with their constituents to the actual constituents.
Although I think it's important to keep things changing in Washington, lest we fall into political stagnation, I think that since congresspeople are elected on a more local basis, some local areas don't change much over time, and it shouldn't be forced upon them. It gets more complicated as you get to wider areas of constituents, senators and the president.

But when it comes to congressmen, here in Iowa City we have Jim Leach. He'll be running for his 16th term next year, and ******* do I hope he's around for 16 more. I think we will never find a man who will more accurately represent this district. Forcing him out would be an extreme disservice to the people of my district, and I can assume the same applies elsewhere.
Given that there are 535 members of Congress and given the reelection rate for incumbents is better than 90%, and given the moaning, groaning, and complaining by the populace about the overall job done by the experienced Senators and Representatives, it would seem that the best way to improve things is to remove the nearly "life" tenure that goes with incumbency.

I can't imagine that a Iowan of equal or superior qualifications is not waiting in the wings in the event that Jim Leach should meet with some misfortune.

In the history of this country, there has always been someone who stepped into the breach, as it were, and performed admirably. It has been proven time and again that no one is indispensable.

Fantasea said:
I can't imagine that a Iowan of equal or superior qualifications is not waiting in the wings in the event that Jim Leach should meet with some misfortune.
If that is true, then may this mystery person make himself known, but what if there isn't someone better than Leach? We'd be forcing someone out of office who deserves to stay.

press said:
If that is true, then may this mystery person make himself known, but what if there isn't someone better than Leach? We'd be forcing someone out of office who deserves to stay.
I am familiar with Representative Leach and I have great respect for him. Perhaps he could do even more good if you put him in the state house as governor.

You responded to the second paragraph. How about a response to the first and to the third?

press said:

So I guess the same could be said about Presidential term limits.

The problem with Congress is they ARE unresponsive to the people now.
Try writing your Congressman to see if you get anything save a form
letter which may or may not address your concern.

Congress has written the rules to reflect longevity equates to power.
You want to make a real difference in Congress then give everyone
equal power. Place a lifetime limit on the number of terms any Senator
or Representative could serve on any committee. Then you'd see some
real change in Congress.

Have a good time. I recommend the Prince Edward Island area, it's
quite gorgeous this time of year.

yes. I oppose Presidential term limits as well.

And as for Congress being irresponsive to the people, that's the people's fault for not voting the bad Congressman out of office. The people already have the power to limit terms. An amendment is not needed for that. It's just a matter of the people using that power.

Back
Top Bottom