• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congressional Lawmakers Given Green Light to Sue Trump for Incitement of Insurrection

The AntiDonald

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

Civil lawsuits seeking to hold Donald Trump accountable for the January 6 insurrection can move forward in court, and the ex-President doesn't have absolute immunity from litigation, a federal judge ruled Friday.

The hits just keep on coming at Trump. The judge seems to think Trump was responsible for the riot at the capitol. I am sure it won't proceed quickly but will be interesting.

Civil lawsuits seeking to hold Donald Trump accountable for the January 6 insurrection can move forward in court, and the ex-President doesn't have absolute immunity from litigation, a federal judge ruled Friday.

The hits just keep on coming at Trump. The judge seems to think Trump was responsible for the riot at the capitol. I am sure it won't proceed quickly but will be interesting.

He's having such a bad week!

It's about time the hens came home to roost, or whatever the correct coloquialism. When a career criminal starts getting his ass in trouble it renews, to some degree, your faith in the system.

About time indeed. I'm glad he's out of office for so many reasons - one being that no one is likely now to feel that they can't charge him.

I wonder if all the small business owners, that Trump didn't pay/cheated out of money/put out of business, are ever so slowly starting to smile.

Good for America:

"“After all, the President’s actions here do not relate to his duties of faithfully executing the laws, conducting foreign affairs, commanding the armed forces, or managing the Executive Branch,” [Judge] Mehta added. “They entirely concern his efforts to remain in office for a second term. These are unofficial acts, so the separation-of-powers concerns that justify the President’s broad immunity are not present here.”"

They're waiting for marching orders, but I'd assume those orders will be along the lines of "political witch hunt!"

Nevermind that we have juries for reasons, and that is actually one of many of them.

I liked this part the best.

1645232533842.png
In a written opinion that ran over 100 pages, Judge Amit Mehta rejected the former president's claims that he is entitled to broad immunity from multiple lawsuits blaming him for the riot. Mehta reasoned that some of Trump's actions on January 6 were "plausibly words of incitement not protected by the First Amendment" or by presidential immunity.

More depositions for Trump. He'll get a lot of practice for taking the 5th in the NY suit. He should be ready to go.
Funny thing. In civil cases, pleading the 5th can be used against you.

Back
Top Bottom