• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congress votes to suspend Russia trade status, enact oil ban

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
From the Associated Press:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congress voted overwhelmingly Thursday to suspend normal trade relations with Russia and ban the importation of its oil, ratcheting up the U.S. response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine amid reports of atrocities.

House action came after the Senate approved the two bills with 100-0 votes. The measures now go to President Joe Biden to be signed into law.

...The bill to end normal trade relations with Russia paves the way for Biden to enact higher tariffs on various imports, such as certain steel and aluminum products, further weakening the Russian economy under President Vladimir Putin. It also ensures Belarus receives less favorable tariff treatment. https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...iness-europe-306879c2f7b51472c2ea217d70619ffd

How severe of an impact will this have?

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congress voted overwhelmingly Thursday to suspend normal trade relations with Russia and ban the importation of its oil, ratcheting up the U.S. response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine amid reports of atrocities.

House action came after the Senate approved the two bills with 100-0 votes. The measures now go to President Joe Biden to be signed into law.

...The bill to end normal trade relations with Russia paves the way for Biden to enact higher tariffs on various imports, such as certain steel and aluminum products, further weakening the Russian economy under President Vladimir Putin. It also ensures Belarus receives less favorable tariff treatment. https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...iness-europe-306879c2f7b51472c2ea217d70619ffd

With China helping them now - and who'da ever thunk we'd see that alliance transpire? - it's anyone's guess what the actual impact will be.

My hope is that it will have the impact intended. My fear is that it may end up impacting us more than it does Putin.

Now we get to see how much Americans can endure to save the lives of people who are being slaughtered innocently by trump's genius.

I predict we will cry like babies.

With China helping them now - and who'da ever thunk we'd see that alliance transpire? - it's anyone's guess what the actual impact will be.

My hope is that it will have the impact intended. My fear is that it may end up impacting us more than it does Putin.
I'm concerned about this too.

Now we get to see how much Americans can endure to save the lives of people who are being slaughtered innocently by trump's genius.

I predict we will cry like babies.
Only two posts in, but you had to be needlessly provocative.

Those slaughtering the innocents (and raping women and little girls) are Russian soldiers.

Those slaughtering the innocents (and raping women and little girls) are Russian soldiers.
They are soldiers who have been ordered to kill Ukrainians by the person who our ex president said making a genius move.

So is our ex president correct or not?

I'm concerned about this too.
My hope is that it's just a sign of desperation on both sides. They've been such traditional enemies for so long.

My friend did a missionary trip to Lake Baikal years ago, maybe 10-15 now and they crossed into Russia via Mongolia. At the border he noted what he thought were thousands of tanks parked on the Russian side. The guide told them they were there to prevent any attack or incursion by the Chinese.

Anyway, it's just bizarre to see what's going on right now with them both.

My hope is that it's just a sign of desperation on both sides. They've been such traditional enemies for so long.

My friend did a missionary trip to Lake Baikal years ago, maybe 10-15 now and they crossed into Russia via Mongolia. At the border he noted what he thought were thousands of tanks parked on the Russian side. The guide told them they were there to prevent any attack or incursion by the Chinese.

The cliche is true: Truth is stranger than fiction.

The continued isolation from Russia will , in the long run, have an strong effect on their military. It appears that a lot of their missiles used components that were foreign based, and they are having very much difficulties replacing the parts for new missiles. The funds they aren't getting will also contribute to their inability to pay for new parts.

They are soldiers who have been ordered to kill Ukrainians by the person who our ex president said making a genius move.

So is our ex president correct or not?
This isn't about Trump. Each one of those who has committed a war crime--a crime against humanity--made the individual choice to act. They each bear individual responsibility for choosing, for example, to participate in gang rapes.

The continued isolation from Russia will , in the long run, have an strong effect on their military. It appears that a lot of their missiles used components that were foreign based, and they are having very much difficulties replacing the parts for new missiles. The funds they aren't getting will also contribute to their inability to pay for new parts.
Isn't it also true that some of their equipment has performed very poorly?

Yes - and I suspect for similar reasons - funding hasn't been what it once was for quite some time. It appears the Russian military may be more of an empty shell of its former self than we imagined.

At the border he noted what he thought were thousands of tanks parked on the Russian side. The guide told them they were there to prevent any attack or incursion by the Chinese.

Well China and Russia don't necessarily like each other that much either.

Well China and Russia don't necessarily like each other that much either.
Which is what's generating some concern for me and others. Really strange that they seem to have become bedfellows of sorts here of late.

It's not the equipment that performed very poorly, but the operators. They were conscripts that were poorly trained. That, and when it comes to the tanks, they invaded the Ukraine when they would be bogged down in mud, so they stuck to the roads, which made them easy targets for drones and other anti-tank weapons. There is also the issue that Russia was assuming that there would be no resistance, so they didn't support their tanks with infantry or air support. You need the three pronged attack to keep the tanks safe. The Russians underestimated the resistance and training, overestimated their own training, and therefore did huge tactical mistakes. Their plan was poorly thought and and even worse executed. That, and the fact that the Ukraine supplied all the spare parts, which they no longer are getting, really screwed the Russians over.

The sanctions, and the fact they had been relying on the Ukraine for replacement parts is making sure that Russia will lose the war of attrition.

The problem with any authoritarian dictatorship is that over time, the leaders get surrounded by yes men, and are ego involved. they get poor information, and do poor planning. The people who disagreed with Putin ended up dying in mysterious circumstances, so his inner circle became an echo chamber. That happened in North Korea, and I see it happening in China too. There was also a lot of corruption in Russia, and I bet a large portion of the money reserved for upgrading putin's war toys mysteriously made it into the pockets of oligarchs instead. Someone had to pay for the oligarch's yachts.

The Russians had better toys, but supply chain issues (tanks ran out of gas) and other poor logistics cause them great difficulty. Zelenski said that abandoned tanks from Russia was one of their biggest suppliers for their efforts against Russia.

Which is what's generating some concern for me and others. Really strange that they seem to have become bedfellows of sorts here of late.
They are just both aligned against the West. But China refused to send Russia military equipment and some Chinese companies even pulled out of the Russian market. Not so much bedfellows as China cautiously trying to play both sides.

Yes - and I suspect for similar reasons - funding hasn't been what it once was for quite some time. It appears the Russian military may be more of an empty shell of its former self than we imagined.
and that should worry the people of the US.
we are seeing that a lot of their equipment isn't working well and if anything happens and they get really desperate and they decide to strike back at us they might just skip a conventional war because their equipment doesn't work well and go right for the Nukes.
we have to remember desperate people do desperate things
have a nice day

They are just both aligned against the West. But China refused to send Russia military equipment and some Chinese companies even pulled out of the Russian market. Not so much bedfellows as China cautiously trying to play both sides.
That makes sense.

Would you spare us your whining about provocation when you don't make a peep about the endless supply of nothing but provocative, bullshit right wing trolling that occurs in every single thread. And there as nothing provocative about what was said. It is a fact that people will bitch and whine any sort of sacrifice we would have to make, mostly to be hacks and attack Biden. We have seen how shitty and selfish Americans are throughout the entire pandemic, couldn't even do the smallest of sacrifices like wearing a mask to protect others. That's fact, not provocation. You already see the whining about gas prices and food prices and blaming Biden, and it will continue with each measure that may hit us for doing the right thing.

As I have said before it wouldn't surprise me if China massed a couple of million military personal on their north border and if the time ever became right go in and take a good chunk of Russia and it's oil.
Just saying nothing those two countries do should surprise anybody,
have a nice day

I think the military got looted. Soldiers stealing and selling equipment

Back
Top Bottom