• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congress Targets Teen Driving, Mulls Federal Driver's License Standards

Yes, they can, but the only way it becomes a national issue is if they're engaged in the selling or buying goods commercially across state lines via the Commerce Clause.

But of course, that's only if they go back in time to 1920 or so.

I never said they weren't a bad thing. I'm asking how a FEDERAL STANDARD would make things safer as opposed to the current system of state standards for DL. You want to usurp state power, you better have a damn good reason for doing so. So far, you have not presented a compelling reason the Federal Government is the right solution to this issue.

sure i have, you just won't accept it. some states have standards that are far too lax.

I'm not arguing, I'm telling you, it's your choice whether you want to believe me or not. You can go research and answer questions your asking me. It's very annoying when people ask questions they can answer themselves.

You brought up the assertation so you have to back it up.

sure i have, you just won't accept it. some states have standards that are far too lax.

Wait, so because some unnamed states have too lax laws, the Fed Gov't should step in and take over DL's. Got it.

What are you babbling on about? :confused:

Like The Patriot, you need to learn to read. You also need to catch up on the elections that have featured Democrat v. Republican this year and the results of them.

Like The Patriot, you need to learn to read. You also need to catch up on the elections that have featured Democrat v. Republican this year and the results of them.

/blink

What general elections have been held this year??

A few special elections yes. The GOP Took Hawaii...The dem's kept Murtha's seat...

I remember the Jan 2010 handing of old Teddy's seat to a Republican...

Pray tell, which election do you, Mr. "pro-bipartisan" Moderate refer too? Some local school board elections in your hometown??

Wait, so because some unnamed states have too lax laws, the Fed Gov't should step in and take over DL's. Got it.

thanks once again, mr v, for demonstrating that you don't bother to read links before spewing your vitriol, of course, that's how you roll, right?

from the OP link:

Driver's license laws vary widely from state to state. For example, only eight states and Washington, D.C., require a minimum entry age of 16, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Only 10 states require teenagers to hold a learner's permit for more than six months. Others have less stringent requirements, such as New Hampshire, which doesn't even have a mandatory period for holding a permit.

/blink

What general elections have been held this year??

A few special elections yes. The GOP Took Hawaii...The dem's kept Murtha's seat...

I remember the Jan 2010 handing of old Teddy's seat to a Republican...

Pray tell, which election do you, Mr. "pro-bipartisan" Moderate refer too? Some local school board elections in your hometown??

Actually, I don't know when the local school board election is, thanks for reminding me. I can't wait until the November elections so afterwards I can come back and quote you on how you said Republicans would destory Democrats in the elections.

thanks once again, mr v, for demonstrating that you don't bother to read links before spewing your vitriol, of course, that's how you roll, right?

from the OP link:

Driver's license laws vary widely from state to state. For example, only eight states and Washington, D.C., require a minimum entry age of 16, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Only 10 states require teenagers to hold a learner's permit for more than six months. Others have less stringent requirements, such as New Hampshire, which doesn't even have a mandatory period for holding a permit.

Sorry, thought you were talking about your opinion, not what the OP said. Misread you.

Why do these states not have mandatory Permit Periods? Can you prove they would lower teen accidents?

Last edited:
Actually, I don't know when the local school board election is, thanks for reminding me. I can't wait until the November elections so afterwards I can come back and quote you on how you said Republicans would destory Democrats in the elections.

Change your lean to hard left, you are no moderate.

Also, the GOP is going to take the House back, the Senate... we'll get to within 5 seats or so. 2012, on the coattails of the GOP taking back the WH, we'll get the Senate and more House seats (assuming they don't blow it, but I figure they won't for a FEW years)

Harry Reid for example, unemployed come Nov. How will Nancy P handle giving up the Gavel?

Sorry, thought you were talking about you're opinion, not what the OP said. Misread you.

Why do these states not have mandatory Permit Periods? Can you prove they would lower teen accidents?

of course i can't prove it, but common sense tells us it would. so would other restrictions. and i have no idea why states have the rules they do, that's not the point here.

anyway, i'm finished here.

of course i can't prove it, but common sense tells us it would. so would other restrictions. and i have no idea why states have the rules they do, that's not the point here.

anyway, i'm finished here.

Common Sense, yes, but if it was so obvious why aren't they doing it? That's what I am getting at. While I AGREE it probably wouldn't hurt to have Teens driving with mom and dad for a longer period before getting their licence... how would the Fed Gov't taking over the system make this happen?

Change your lean to hard left, you are no moderate.

Really? You know my position on every issue? (Hint: Just because I think Republicans won't crush in the November elections doesn't mean I'm not a moderate). There is a difference between how I feel on issues and which party I think will win in the November 2010 elections.

Harry Reid for example, unemployed come Nov. How will Nancy P handle giving up the Gavel?

Harry Reid is ahead in the polls in Nevada as voters realize how terrible the GOP candidates are. Pelosi has no chance of losing her district and no chance of losing the House to the Republicans. Not one political science would agree with you on this one.

Really? You know my position on every issue? (Hint: Just because I think Republicans won't crush in the November elections doesn't mean I'm not a moderate). There is a difference between how I feel on issues and which party I think will win in the November 2010 elections.

Apparently some people think that if you hold a specific political philosophy, you must therefore drink the kool aid and believe that your party can never lose or do no wrong.

Harry Reid is ahead in the polls in Nevada as voters realize how terrible the GOP candidates are. Pelosi has no chance of losing her district and no chance of losing the House to the Republicans. Not one political science would agree with you on this one.

Right oh, Well it's Jun, you have 5 months to live in lala land till reality smacks you oh... about Wednesday morning, first week of November.

Right oh, Well it's Jun, you have 5 months to live in lala land till reality smacks you oh... about Wednesday morning, first week of November.

So you make judgements without evidence and when evidence contridicts your judgement you claim it's wrong? That makes sense...

Common Sense, yes, but if it was so obvious why aren't they doing it? That's what I am getting at. While I AGREE it probably wouldn't hurt to have Teens driving with mom and dad for a longer period before getting their licence... how would the Fed Gov't taking over the system make this happen?

Thank you !!! No what the government does or doesn't do, parents have the final say...... at least in my house that's the way it works! There is no way I'm giving free reign to my 16 yr old male horomone machine! 2 Knoxville Tennessee kids got killed in Southern Georgia yesterday. 17 and 16 years old. No WAY am I turning my sons loose too early !!!

You need to learn to read.

I did read what you said and so far I see nothing to back up your claims that the US has 'awful drivers education'. I, and many other folks, are waiting for you to produce this proof in the form of flow charts and bulleted points. You made the statement so you have to back it up. I've already backed up my position with the Constitution of the United States and all you have given is empty rhetoric.

I did read what you said and so far I see nothing to back up your claims that the US has 'awful drivers education'. I, and many other folks, are waiting for you to produce this proof in the form of flow charts and bulleted points. You made the statement so you have to back it up. I've already backed up my position with the Constitution of the United States and all you have given is empty rhetoric.

Sorry I must have missed that post and it seems vital to your arguement so what post # is it? And also, why would I create flow charts and bulleted points? Paragraphs aren't acceptable? You need to learn something, just because you tell me to do something doesn't mean I will do it. I'm not waiting to serve you hand and foot and to contruct arguements the way you want me to. Go back and re-read all my posts. If you still haven't figured out my point I will say it again.

Sorry I must have missed that post and it seems vital to your arguement so what post # is it? And also, why would I create flow charts and bulleted points? Paragraphs aren't acceptable? You need to learn something, just because you tell me to do something doesn't mean I will do it. I'm not waiting to serve you hand and foot and to contruct arguements the way you want me to. Go back and re-read all my posts. If you still haven't figured out my point I will say it again.

In short, you'll toss around empty rhetoric and opinion as facts and we're supposed to believe you. I don't drink the kool aid, so I'm waiting for proof to back up your wild claims.

Check out post #3, post #8, and post #19. Where's your proof that the 'US has awful drivers education'?

In short, you'll toss around empty rhetoric and opinion as facts and we're supposed to believe you. I don't drink the kool aid, so I'm waiting for proof to back up your wild claims.

Check out post #3, post #8, and post #19. Where's your proof that the 'US has awful drivers education'?

Thanks for providing the post information. Now I will rebuttle each post's main point:

post #3 (Congress Targets Teen Driving, Mulls Federal Driver's License Standards): "Congress lacks the authority to mandate such a law since this isn't a delegated power to the federal government under the Constitution of the United States"- No, Congress has the power to make laws providing for the general welfare for the United States (Article I Section VIII), which is an exception to the 10th Amendment since it is a delegated power.

post #8 (Congress Targets Teen Driving, Mulls Federal Driver's License Standards): This post is completely irrelevant to anything I have ever posted. My previous point though voids your statement in this post though since it is a delegated power.

post #19 (Congress Targets Teen Driving, Mulls Federal Driver's License Standards): Again, my delegated power arguement is my rebuttle.

And my point about having you going back and re-reading all my posts is so you would realize I'm not going to do something you can do yourself.

Great Idea for the issue at hand, I LOVE IT!
:applaud

Back
Top Bottom