• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congress prepares to punt, spend the fall campaigning

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
WASHINGTON — Congress is deadlocked over virtually every major issue still pending this year, including key economic matters such as a detailed federal spending plan and extending Bush-era tax cuts, yet lawmakers still hope to leave Washington by Friday and not return until mid-November.

Chances are they'll approve a stopgap budget to keep the government running, maybe vote on extending the Bush administration tax cuts and call it a day. This desire to punt on the day's biggest issue could be one more reason for voters to turn against incumbents of both parties in November.

Congress prepares to punt, spend the fall campaigning | McClatchy

Spineless, Weak, Lying, Shiftless, Thieves. These are but a few of the adjectives I would use to describe those in charge of congress today. And I have stronger terms in mind, but I wouldn't want to offend.

What say you all, is this the Hope, and Change thing you all expected?

j-mac

Spineless, Weak, Lying, Shiftless, Thieves. These are but a few of the adjectives I would use to describe those in charge of congress today. And I have stronger terms in mind, but I wouldn't want to offend.

It's nice to see that you are as much against the obstructionism being pursued by the Republicans and the conservative Democrats in the House and Senate as the liberal, independent, and moderate voters all over the United States are.

It's nice to see that you are as much against the obstructionism being pursued by the Republicans and the conservative Democrats in the House and Senate as the liberal, independent, and moderate voters all over the United States are.

How can the Republicans obstruct anything?

Obstructionism is a two way street. I could just as easily say that demo's in charge were obstructing bringing their tax proposal to the floor for a vote, because they know it would go down in flames, in a bipartisan fashion before the elections. Therefore playing politics with the welfare of this nation.

I bristle at your use of calling progressives in the congress making the calls now as some how "moderate". They are not.

j-mac

We should be happy. Both Democrats and Republicans have finally come to a bi-partisan agreement to focus on winning elections at the expense of actually doing their jobs.

I bristle at your use of calling progressives in the congress making the calls now as some how "moderate". They are not.

I don't know why you bristle since I never said the progressives in Congress were moderate. Why bristle at something I didn't say?

How can the Republicans obstruct anything?

In the Senate: the filibuster, with the help of conservative Democrats
In the House: with the help of conservative Democrats

So in other words, nothing. On their own right now they are neutered without the help of demo's. Seems the problems in Congress now stem from the inner battles demo's have with themselves, not what repubs are against.

j-mac

j-mac

Yes....... :mrgreen:

It's not obstructionism...... it's called voting your conscience and your beliefs.

Why are the dems so adamant on changing the country into a 3rd world cesspool?

See how that works?

What you are saying is that the far left doesn't have the support of the people or their own party...... thanx for clearing that up.

What you are saying is that the far left doesn't have the support of the people or their own party...... thanx for clearing that up.

The Democrats don't have 60 seats in the senate. If the GOP wants to stop any bill, they're capable of doing so.

This article is a bit of a surprise because I thought the extension of the under-250k tax cuts was basically a done deal, since Boehner came out and said he'd vote for that and Obama said they were ready to do it "this week." (sigh)

The Democrats are spineless and incompetent, and the Republicans are vindictive, obstructionist assholes. The federal government needs a "mass-recall election" option.

Yeah, because too many of those in the Republican and Democratic parties are too beholden to specific interests who bribe them for their votes via campaign donations. You're welcome for my clearing that up.

Yeah, because too many of those in the Republican and Democratic parties are too beholden to specific interests who bribe them for their votes via campaign donations. You're welcome for my clearing that up.

Yeah, that pesky 1st Amendment.

j-mac

j-mac

I wish more Americans were educated on our political system and how lifelong politicians float through their career on our dime. Their work ethic is non-existant. This has been going on for decades.

On a side not, Obama didn't appoint congress so his campaign slogan of "change we can beleive in" isn't relevant here.

I wish more Americans were educated on our political system and how lifelong politicians float through their career on our dime. Their work ethic is non-existant. This has been going on for decades.

On a side not, Obama didn't appoint congress so his campaign slogan of "change we can beleive in" isn't relevant here.

Maybe but his campaign rhetoric was predicated on his administration being the third leg in complete control of all three branches of government....He got that, and still failed.

j-mac

Yeah, that pesky 1st Amendment.

So if you defend open bribery of our Senators and Congressmen why are you getting pissed at the results of it?

So if you defend open bribery of our Senators and Congressmen why are you getting pissed at the results of it?

I could care less that there are organizations out there that wish to lobby the congress of the US. It is what the corrupt bastards do when presented with corrupt schemes, and then lie to the public that pisses me off.

j-mac

1. the only economic constant created by this incompetent cabal is UNCERTAINTY

2. very few presidents have enjoyed filibuster proof senates, they're still able to get things done thru prudent, popular and powerful leadership

3. this crew, in contrast, is a joke

4. temporary pelosi only needs 219, why won't SHE move?

5. republicans vote no out of CONVICTION, they are REWARDED for it

6. the BRIBES they seek and receive are the VOTES of the american electorate

7. the senate, the house, the gubs, the state assemblies---all are blushing deep RED with embarrassment for this inept president and his keystone cabal

8. what does expert witness stephen colbert have to say about all this?

9. party on?

Last edited:
I could care less that there are organizations out there that wish to lobby the congress of the US. It is what the corrupt bastards do when presented with corrupt schemes, and then lie to the public that pisses me off.

But the reason why the bastards are corrupt and enact corrupt schemes is because of all the lobbies that throw money at them.

And the people that elect them, keep sending them back.

Yes, because they are influenced so much by tv and radio ads that they pay for with their campaign donations.

Yes, because they are influenced so much by tv and radio ads that they pay for with their campaign donations.

It's easy to manipulate people without those things though, before the advent of tv and radio, appeals to emotion were still used widely.

Just look at the propaganda posters from WW2, all sides used it heavily.

People are rationally ignorant, they have no need to research policy, other than the short bites and quips they are fed.
It's one of the problems with democratic elections and majority representation.

Back
Top Bottom