• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Congress plays with baseball

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: USATODAY

WASHINGTON — The battle lines were drawn early in Thursday's House hearing on steroids in baseball when ranking minority member Henry Waxman, D-Calif., produced a chronology of 30 years of baseball, saying it couldn't regulate a steroids problem that was identified as serious as early as 1974.
"As we now know from 30 years of history, baseball failed to regulate itself," Waxman said in his opening statement.

Later in the day, players union chief Donald Fehr shot back, saying, "The players association does not condone or support the use of any unlawful substance. I can't put it any more plainly."

Legislators also expressed frustration with Major League Baseball and its new steroid testing policy.

"I've sat here for eight or nine hours," said Elijah Cummings, D-Md. "I'm not clear what the policy is."

Said Mark Souder, R-Ind., "It doesn't matter if you're a Democrat or Republican or a conservative or liberal, we're upset."

Should congress be involved in this?

vauge said:
Should congress be involved in this?
In my opinion, no. It's a HUGE waste of time.

In legal standing, they have every right to be.

(Here's a thread about it a bit back)

shuamort said:
Normally Congress wouldn't get involved, HOWEVER, and this is a dumb but pertinent "however". The MLB has an antitrust exemption granted by congress and if MLB doesn't cooperate, congress can dismantle it. Fun.

In Federal Baseball Club of Baltimore v. National League of Baseball Clubs, the Supreme Court decided that baseball was not subject to the antitrust laws because professional baseball games were purely local exhibitions, not interstate commerce, and thus were not subject to federal regulation. The decision made little sense in 1922, when it was rendered, and it is absurd on its face as applied to the multi-billion dollar business that baseball has become. The Supreme Court has recognized that the decision is an anomaly, but has stated that it is now such a long-standing anomaly that it's up to Congress, not the courts, to correct it.

Of course, one thing not mentioned before, was that Bush kind of got the ball rolling in his January '05 State of the Union address:

President Bush said:
To help children make right choices, they need good examples. Athletics play such an important role in our society, but, unfortunately, some in professional sports are not setting much of an example. The use of performance-enhancing drugs like steroids in baseball, football, and other sports is dangerous, and it sends the wrong message that there are shortcuts to accomplishment, and that performance is more important than character. So tonight I call on team owners, union representatives, coaches, and players to take the lead, to send the right signal, to get tough, and to get rid of steroids now.

Apparently, I've got a bit of time and a lot of links. :D

Here's the letter from Tom Davis (R-VA) telling MLB that they have to testify in congress.
In this case, the Committee is clearly acting within its jurisdiction on a matter of important federal policy. The Committee has properly issued subpoenas. Any American citizen under these circumstances would be required to comply with the Committee’s request. Major League Baseball and baseball players are no different.
:rolleyes:

President Bush used to own a baseball team -
"What did he know and when did he know it?"
How long before this becomes a bigger circus than it already is?

I admire Mark McQuire for how he handled his appearance before Congress.

It was a no-win situation for him...If he admits steroid use, he's screwed, if he denies steroid use, people will dub him a liar. So what does he do?

He acts just like a politician and neither confirms nor denys usage.

These stupid Senators and Congressmen have alot of nerve wasteing the taxpayers money on this investigation! They were all huffing and puffing and trying to corner Mr. McQuire, but he handled himself like the champion he is.

Steroids were not illegal in the past when Mr. McQuire supposedly came in contact!

I'd love to have these politicians under oath and ask them if they had any youthful indescretions? Do any drugs you regret? Ever have one too many drinks before casting a vote? Ever use your power and influence to get in the pants of some intern?

We have far more important things for Congress to be dealing with then this baseball/steroid business, which to me, is just another way to take the public's mind off the real issues.

We have far more important things for Congress to be dealing with then this baseball/steroid business, which to me, is just another way to take the public's mind off the real issues.
McCain was the only one putting the spot light on it, so your claim is bogus.

Squawker said:
McCain was the only one putting the spot light on it, so your claim is bogus.

The committee, House Government Reform, is chaired by Reps. Tom Davis, a Virginia Republican, and Henry Waxman, a California Democrat. They're the guys that put this together, they're the ones that insisted the players show up and testify. So why do you think McCain is the guy putting the spot light on this issue?

26 X World Champs said:
McCain is a SENATOR. The hearing was in the House of Representatives!

:shoot

Yeah, I don't get it how is McCain responsible for this? McCain seems to be the neo-cons favorite GOP whipping boy of late. Something bads comes up and you can't pin it on Clinton- blame McCain. I'm surprised he didn't single handedly somehow cause the UN food for oil mess too. Who knows- maybe he also helped Saddam hide a bunch of WMD's too.

Pacridge said:
Yeah, I don't get it how is McCain responsible for this? McCain seems to be the neo-cons favorite GOP whipping boy of late. Something bads comes up and you can't pin it on Clinton- blame McCain. I'm surprised he didn't single handedly somehow cause the UN food for oil mess too. Who knows- maybe he also helped Saddam hide a bunch of WMD's too.

I think you're right. Of all the Republicans out there I have more respect for McCain. He speaks his mind based on what he believes, not on what is necessarily politically correct. I certainly do not agree with his politics, but I do believe he is sincere, and is not one to do what someone else tells him to do (Karl Rove) because it will get him votes.

I still wouldn't vote for him, but if he were President I do not think I would have the same dislike for him that I do have for Bush.

McCain started his campaign long before this but, I just did a quick search.
Saturday, December 4, 2004
McCain threatens baseball with legislation if they don't act on steroids
By Dana Milbank and Thomas Heath / The Washington Post

WASHINGTON -- As Major League Baseball's steroids scandal widened to include the sport's most prolific current home run hitter, Senate Commerce Committee Chairman John McCain, R-Ariz., said Friday that he will introduce legislation imposing drug-testing standards on professional athletes if baseball players and owners do not adopt a stringent crackdown on steroids by January.
Source

26 X World Champs said:
I think you're right. Of all the Republicans out there I have more respect for McCain. He speaks his mind based on what he believes, not on what is necessarily politically correct. I certainly do not agree with his politics, but I do believe he is sincere, and is not one to do what someone else tells him to do (Karl Rove) because it will get him votes.

I still wouldn't vote for him, but if he were President I do not think I would have the same dislike for him that I do have for Bush.

For some reason the conservative media outlets seem to have it out for him. Whenever I watch FNC anymore they're really hammering away at him. If they're not making him sound like an as*hole- they're making Martha Stewart sound like a complete bi*ch (wonder what she ever did to them?). I think they hate McCain and Stewart just as much as Clinton.

For some reason the conservative media outlets seem to have it out for him. Whenever I watch FNC anymore they're really hammering away at him. If they're not making him sound like an as*hole- they're making Martha Stewart sound like a complete bi*ch (wonder what she ever did to them?). I think they hate McCain and Stewart just as much as Clinton.
That just isn't true about Fox, Pac. I don't know what show you are hearing any such thing. Please enlighten me.

Squawker said:
That just isn't true about Fox, Pac. I don't know what show you are hearing any such thing. Please enlighten me.

Really, I watch the POTUS news confer. the other morning and right after it they went on Martha slam. Martha- "she did all this bad stuff yet gets to live like a queen- if you and I did this we wouldn't get to live in a mansion while on house arrest." Martha- "did criminal things but because she's rich she gets pampered." They went on and on about Martha, it was completely negative. I never hear FNC speak that way in regards to "Kenny Boy" Hell when ever I hear them speak about Lay he almost sounds like the victim. The way they speak about Martha you'd think she was involved in stealing thousands of peoples retirement.

Does anyone really believe that the folks who run 'baseball' have ever taken a practical approach to the use of illegal drugs by players?

Every time they institute controls, they include allowances for unlimited repeat offenses.

Until they get tough and apply the "Pete Rose" type of penalties, the situation will never improve.

Back
Top Bottom