• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congress orders Trump admin to investigate Saudi crown prince's role in Khashoggi murder

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From CBS News

Congress orders Trump admin to investigate Saudi crown prince's role in Khashoggi murder

President Donald Trump cast doubt Tuesday on whether the U.S. could ever know the extent of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's involvement in the murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi. But now, Congress is demanding his administration provides an answer.

The top Republican and Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., and Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., sent a letter to the White House Tuesday evening to officially trigger an investigation into whether the young crown prince ordered the plot.

The move sets up a showdown between Capitol Hill and the White House as members of both parties in Congress call on Trump to be tougher on Saudi Arabia.

"It is a delicate situation when we have a longtime ally that we've had for decades, but we have a crown prince that I believe ordered the killing of a journalist," Corker told ABC Chattanooga, Tennessee, affiliate WTVC.

COMMENT:-

Now if Congress had the power to order that a FULL investigation, including actual reviews of evidence, be conducted, that might be interesting. However, since the President is the person who has the constitutional authority to ADMINISTER the laws of the United States of America then the "investigation demand" would be fully complied with if Mr. Trump asks Ivanka Trump whether or not MbS ordered the murder and, upon receiving here "I don't know, I wasn't there." response he can tell Congress that the results of the "investigation" were "inconclusive" and that "since the results of the investigation were inconclusive MbS is entitled to be presumed innocent".

Now that might not happen unless the Saudis spend a whole lot more money in the US (or, possibly, keep the price of oil down), but what do you think the odds are that it won't?

From CBS News

President Donald Trump cast doubt Tuesday on whether the U.S. could ever know the extent of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's involvement in the murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi. But now, Congress is demanding his administration provides an answer.

The top Republican and Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., and Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., sent a letter to the White House Tuesday evening to officially trigger an investigation into whether the young crown prince ordered the plot.

The move sets up a showdown between Capitol Hill and the White House as members of both parties in Congress call on Trump to be tougher on Saudi Arabia.

"It is a delicate situation when we have a longtime ally that we've had for decades, but we have a crown prince that I believe ordered the killing of a journalist," Corker told ABC Chattanooga, Tennessee, affiliate WTVC.

COMMENT:-

Now if Congress had the power to order that a FULL investigation, including actual reviews of evidence, be conducted, that might be interesting. However, since the President is the person who has the constitutional authority to ADMINISTER the laws of the United States of America then the "investigation demand" would be fully complied with if Mr. Trump asks Ivanka Trump whether or not MbS ordered the murder and, upon receiving here "I don't know, I wasn't there." response he can tell Congress that the results of the "investigation" were "inconclusive" and that "since the results of the investigation were inconclusive MbS is entitled to be presumed innocent".

Now that might not happen unless the Saudis spend a whole lot more money in the US (or, possibly, keep the price of oil down), but what do you think the odds are that it won't?
Interestingly the Congress ordered Trump not to investigate Obama and Clinton crimes and got their collective panties in a wad that he even discussed it with White House counsel.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Interestingly the Congress ordered Trump not to investigate Obama and Clinton crimes and got their collective panties in a wad that he even discussed it with White House counsel.

Link?

This should be good.

Did they?

Please provide me with a link to a reputable source that contains information that can be verified.

All thanks that are due, in advance, because I have perfect faith in your ability to do just that.

Ordered as in the way ordered was used in the OP. Bloviate works too.

I must need to brush up on the Constitution, because I did not know that the Congress had the power to order the President of the United States to investigate a foreign county's actions on foreign soil regarding a foreign national. Shows what I know.

I must need to brush up on the Constitution, because I did not know that the Congress had the power to order the President of the United States to investigate a foreign county's actions on foreign soil regarding a foreign national. Shows what I know.
Same thing I was thinking.

In 2016 the Magnitsky Act was passed that DOES allow Congress to investigate certain kinds of cases and it looks like this one is such a case. This would, however, be the first time it has been used and thus hasn’t yet faced judicial examination.

Back
Top Bottom