• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congress now interested in that other Trump Tower once planned for Russia

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/co...other-trump-tower-once-planned-russia-n954801

Two Congressional aides told NBC News Trump's proposed Moscow development with Aras Agalarov is drawing new scrutiny from House and Senate investigators.

WASHINGTON — Before Donald Trump's lawyer was pitching the Kremlin on building a Trump Tower in Moscow, the future president was negotiating to put his name on a building in a separate glitzy real estate development outside the Russian capital.

The Russians dubbed the proposed suburban development "Manhattan," and a "Trump Tower" would have been its centerpiece, according to congressional testimony and news reports.
=================================================
Trump's partner in this earlier project was Aras Agalarov. He is an oligarch with close ties to V. Putin. And he is the same man whose promise of dirt on Hillary Clinton set in motion the infamous June 2016 meeting at the original Trump Tower in New York. And Trump kept proclaiming that he had no business involvement in Russia.

The Trump administration & its precursors: corruption piled on top of more corruption.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/co...other-trump-tower-once-planned-russia-n954801

Two Congressional aides told NBC News Trump's proposed Moscow development with Aras Agalarov is drawing new scrutiny from House and Senate investigators.

WASHINGTON — Before Donald Trump's lawyer was pitching the Kremlin on building a Trump Tower in Moscow, the future president was negotiating to put his name on a building in a separate glitzy real estate development outside the Russian capital.

The Russians dubbed the proposed suburban development "Manhattan," and a "Trump Tower" would have been its centerpiece, according to congressional testimony and news reports.
Trump's partner in this earlier project was Aras Agalarov. He is an oligarch with close ties to V. Putin. And he is the same man whose promise of dirt on Hillary Clinton set in motion the infamous June 2016 meeting at the original Trump Tower in New York. And Trump kept proclaiming that he had no business involvement in Russia.

The Trump administration & its precursors: corruption piled on top of more corruption.
You want fries with your nothingburger? Did either project ever produce a contract?

"For the record, I have ZERO investments in Russia," Trump tweeted in July 2016.
It wasn't for lack of trying. The Agalarov deal was one of five ultimately unsuccessful efforts to put the Trump name on a building in Russia, dating back to his first trip there in 1987, as he laid out in his memoir, "The Art of the Deal." A second attempt in 1996 fizzled, as did a 2005 plan with Felix Sater, the same Russian-born businessman who partnered with Cohen in another attempt in 2015 — one that wasn't abandoned until Trump had all but secured the Republican nomination for president

Last edited:
You want fries with your nothingburger? Did either project ever produce a contract?

Trump lied, in public, on TV. I have no idea what screwed up his project but he was heavily involved in it during the campaign while at the same time proclaiming that he had no Russian business.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/810173/trump-new-version-business-deals-russia-during-2016-campaign

Trump has a new version of his business deals with Russia during the 2016 campaign

President Trump laid out a breezy new version of his interactions with Russia during the 2016 presidential election, following revelations from longtime lawyer Michael Cohen that Trump's company was negotiating the construction of a Trump Tower Moscow until mid-June 2016, that Cohen had updated him regularly on the progress of those talks, and reports that Cohen had proposed to Kremlin officials gifting Russian President Vladimir Putin a $50 million penthouse in the building.

Last edited:

From your own link:
"For the record, I have ZERO investments in Russia," Trump tweeted in July 2016.
It wasn't for lack of trying. The Agalarov deal was one of five ultimately unsuccessful efforts to put the Trump name on a building in Russia, dating back to his first trip there in 1987, as he laid out in his memoir, "The Art of the Deal." A second attempt in 1996 fizzled, as did a 2005 plan with Felix Sater, the same Russian-born businessman who partnered with Cohen in another attempt in 2015 — one that wasn't abandoned until Trump had all but secured the Republican nomination for president
You want fries with your nothingburger?

Congress isnt interested. The democratic party is interested if there is anything there than can damage him politically.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

See post #3 in this thread. I'm not talking about investments. I'm talking about his statements that he had no business dealings in Russia when he actively did.

Why are you trying to defend a liar?

And . . .?

Trump is a habitual liar. That's easy to prove by his own recorded statements, like having no business in Russia when he did. And you helped elect him president? Sorry for you & sorry for all of us. I hope the country survives 2 more years of him.

Trump is a habitual liar. That's easy to prove by his own recorded statements, like having no business in Russia when he did. And you helped elect him president? Sorry for you & sorry for all of us. I hope the country survives 2 more years of him.
yadda, yadda, liar. You guys need a new mantra.

See post #3 in this thread. I'm not talking about investments. I'm talking about his statements that he had no business dealings in Russia when he actively did.

Why are you trying to defend a liar?
which deals were those? Has he built anything or put his name on anything. What I can see is he tried several times but nothing came to fruition.

Congress isnt interested. The democratic party is interested if there is anything there than can damage him politically.

Does anyone question Trump's interest in doing business with Russia? Whether he did or did not do business, why so much interest in Russia? After all, the rest of the world was open to him to do business.

Russia is our enemy and has always been. Sanctions against Russia had been imposed. Putin was recognized as an autocrat and a killer and Russia has not ever been considered a great place to do business in. Trump owns no hotels in Germany, or France, or China, or Japan or in many other nations where a Trump hotel could be placed that would have a better chance of being successful economically.

Why so much interest in a Hotel in Russia?

Putinlove.jpg

Last edited:
From your own link: You want fries with your nothingburger?

In an interview with NBC news Trump stated:
"I have had dealings over the years where I sold a house to a very wealthy Russian many years ago. I had the Miss Universe pageant — which I owned for quite a while — I had it in Moscow a long time ago. But other than that, I have nothing to do with Russia," Trump said.

If you are trying to split hairs for Trump, claiming he denied having "investments" in Russia, here are his own words, stated on television, denying anything to do with Russia.

So you are happy to have elected a president who lies consistently?
On the range of global importance what Trump said or didn't say about his failed efforts to do business in Russia is so far down the list I could not care less. Honestly the vast majority of the "lies" you guys have nuclear panty-twisting attacks over are so minor or trivial I just ignore them.

which deals were those? Has he built anything or put his name on anything. What I can see is he tried several times but nothing came to fruition.

I posted the link about his business dealings in Russia. So what if nothing came from it. That's life. The point is he lied about it to the American people to help get himself elected. He's a phony & a fraud as well as a liar.

I posted the link about his business dealings in Russia. So what if nothing came from it. That's life. The point is he lied about ot to the American people to help get himself elected. He's a phony & a fraud as well as a liar.
Business dealing entail the exchange of money and services, e.g. doing BUSINESS. Talks and meetings are not. But "Trump!':twisted:" right? And I seriously doubt what he said about his discussions or meetings with Russian changed one vote.

Business dealing entail the exchange of money and services, e.g. doing BUSINESS. Talks and meetings are not. But "Trump!':twisted:" right? And I seriously doubt what he said about his discussions or meetings with Russian changed one vote.

Boy, you can twist yourself into knots trying to convince yourself that you didn't vote for this head case.

Are talks and meetings the same as "nothing to do with Russia?" Because Trump claimed that except for long long ago, he had NOTHING to do with Russia.

Boy, you can twist yourself into knots trying to convince yourself that you didn't vote for this head case.
I won't argue for a millisecond that I didn't vote for him. I'm just not interested in parsing every single thing he says when most of it I is trivial bull**** or nonsensical blather. When he starts lying at the level Obama did during he ACA period where he intentional tells lies to influence public opinion on serious public issue that ends punishing millions of people then I may call him on it.

Are talks and meetings the same as "nothing to do with Russia?" Because Trump claimed that except for long long ago, he had NOTHING to do with Russia.
I'm not interested in wasting my time playing word games over trivial BS.

Does anyone question Trump's interest in doing business with Russia? Whether he did or did not do business, why so much interest in Russia? After all, the rest of the world was open to him to do business.

Russia is our enemy and has always been. Sanctions against Russia had been imposed. Putin was recognized as an autocrat and a killer and Russia has not ever been considered a great place to do business in. Trump owns no hotels in Germany, or France, or China, or Japan or in many other nations where a Trump hotel could be placed that would have a better chance of being successful economically.

Why so much interest in a Hotel in Russia?

View attachment 67247920
You seem to know more about his holdings than I do.

It does not say anything about a Russian hotel

Business projects of Donald Trump in Russia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Donald Trump has pursued business deals in Russia since 1987, and has sometimes traveled there to explore potential business opportunities. In 1996, Trump trademark applications were submitted for potential Russian real estate development deals. Trump's partners and children have repeatedly visited Moscow, connecting with developers and government officials to explore joint venture opportunities. Trump was never able to successfully conclude any real estate deals in Russia. However, individual Russians have invested heavily in Trump properties, and following Trump's bankruptcies in the 1990s he borrowed money from Russian sources. In 2008 his son Donald Trump Jr. said that Russia was an important source of money for the Trump businesses.

In January 2017, BuzzFeed reported the existence of the unverified Trump–Russia dossier (also called the Steele dossier), which alleges connections between Trump associates and Russia. Trump responded the next day, and again at a February news conference, that he has no financial connections to Russia. In response to ongoing questions, White House press secretary Sean Spicer reiterated in May that Trump has no business connections to Russia. Also in May, Trump's tax lawyers sent a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee saying Trump had not received any income from Russian sources over the past 10 years "with a few exceptions".

Trump's pre-Presidential business dealings with Russia are reportedly being scrutinized by the special counsel.[1]

In July 2018, The Daily Beast reported on a search engine optimization project intended to minimize public awareness of Trump's connections to an associate who worked on these projects with him.[2]

Back
Top Bottom