• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congress must pass legislation to protect Jewish students from anti-semitic harassmen

Lord Tammerlain

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Congress must pass legislation to protect Jewish students from anti-semitic harassment - The Hill's Congress Blog

^
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 requires that colleges and universities redress racial and ethnic discrimination, or risk losing their federal funding. Thus, if African American or Hispanic students are harassed on campus, they can complain to the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR), which is mandated to enforce Title VI and ensure that their schools fix the problem. But Title VI does not clearly protect Jewish students, as we found out after the Zionist Organization of America filed a Title VI complaint with OCR on behalf of Jewish students at the University of California, Irvine (UCI

To correct this problem, Senator Arlen Specter (D-PA) and Congressman Brad Sherman (D-CA) introduced legislation last week that would require that Jewish students be protected from harassment and intimidation on their campuses. The legislation would add protection from religious discrimination to Title VI, which presently prohibits discrimination based on “race, color, or national origin.” The Specter-Sherman bill will fill a legal loophole that, right now, effectively permits colleges and universities to ignore when Jewish students are harassed or discriminated against. Lawmakers should enact this bill quickly, so that Jewish students are assured a campus environment that is safe and conducive to learning, which all students deserve.

Interesting, I wonder how much support it will get among congress

Re: Congress must pass legislation to protect Jewish students from anti-semitic haras

I'd think Muslim students would want in on this as well.

Re: Congress must pass legislation to protect Jewish students from anti-semitic haras

I'd think Muslim students would want in on this as well.

I think so as well,

Which would if it had support among the more religous right conservatives in the US congress be an unintended consequence I believe. Libertarians I would expect be against this entirely (the entire concept of Title 6 really)

What are the Jewish students going through?

What are the Jewish students going through?

The many troubling incidents of campus anti-Semitism highlight the need for this amendment. For example, at UC Berkeley last March, a Jewish student was holding a sign at a pro-Israel campus rally, which said “Israel Wants Peace.” She was rammed from behind with a filled shopping cart. The attack was unprovoked and the victim required medical attention.

At UCI, a Holocaust memorial was destroyed, and swastikas have defaced campus property. Posters have depicted women in traditional Muslim garb saying, “God bless Hitler.” A Jewish student was told to “go back to Russia where you came from.” Jewish students have been threatened and physically assaulted. The campus regularly hosts one to two-week-long events that demonize Israel and Jews. At the May 2009 event, a speaker compared Jews to Satan. Last May, this speaker referred to Jews as “the new Nazis.”

Is what the website listed,

I just don't think we need to micro-manage rights and discrimination. If someone destroys property, arrest the offender and put them in jail. If someone gets assaulted, arrrest the offender and put them in jail. As far as people calling names, I don't think we need laws against that. A lot of people and groups get demonized because we have free speech. We can't and shouldn't stop that. Criticism and action against mistreatment of Jews or any other group needs to come from the people. For the most part I think society stands with Jews against such nonsense. Freedom of religion is already a well established principle in the United States.

We already have laws in place that handles all of that, why do we need any more? I'm so sick and tired of people whining because they're so weak-minded that they can't handle being called names. Grow the hell up and deal with it. Let me know when someone actually harms you. Making you feel bad isn't a crime.

We already have laws in place that handles all of that, why do we need any more? I'm so sick and tired of people whining because they're so weak-minded that they can't handle being called names. Grow the hell up and deal with it. Let me know when someone actually harms you. Making you feel bad isn't a crime.

Defacement of property and violence seem like much more than being called names.

....wait, so could we no longer say "quit being such a jew"?

Defacement of property and violence seem like much more than being called names.

And we already have laws on the books to handle that. We don't need new laws to cover it.

Instead of adding more hate crime bull****, how enforcing the laws we have on the books.

And we already have laws on the books to handle that. We don't need new laws to cover it.

I'm not saying we need new laws, but telling people to grow up doesn't excuse what is happening.

Instead of adding more hate crime bull****, how enforcing the laws we have on the books.
Agreed.

Lol. I had to visit Berkely a few years back and observe their n-dopa silicon CCD process.

God what a leftist hellhole that place is.

I thought we already had laws against assault and the defacement of property?

I thought we already had laws against assault and the defacement of property?

We do. I'm just expressing my outrage at what's going on, not lobbying for the law.

I'm not saying we need new laws, but telling people to grow up doesn't excuse what is happening.

If what is happening is an actual crime, if property is being destroyed or people are being harmed, then fine. We have laws on the books to handle all of those things. If it's just a matter of people getting their precious little feelings hurt, they do need to grow up. Someone's insecurity is not a reason for creating new laws.

Agreed.

Lol. I had to visit Berkely a few years back and observe their n-dopa silicon CCD process.

God what a leftist hellhole that place is.

Berkely is a bizarre island of insanity. So many hippies...

I think so as well,

Which would if it had support among the more religous right conservatives in the US congress be an unintended consequence I believe. Libertarians I would expect be against this entirely (the entire concept of Title 6 really)

i'm against discrimination from public institutions; privates ones are free to commit economic suicide if they want to.

that being said, we should stop attacks; which aren't the same thing as stopping offenses. if you assault someone, you should spend time in prison irrespective of whether or not you also happen to disagree with them politically; and if you ditto if you deface or destroy property.

:) putting the G20 protestors to three years of hard labor, for example, would likely have done no end of good explaining to them the error of their ways.

Last edited:

....wait, so could we no longer say "quit being such a jew"?

Who is we?

You must hang with a remarkably ignorant crowd.

Back
Top Bottom