• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congress is going to make marijuana moves

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/416781-congress-is-going-to-make-marijuana-moves

Despite majority public support in favor of marijuana legalization, and super-majority support in favor of medical cannabis access, members of Congress have nonetheless been reticent to move forward with any significant changes to federal pot policy. That is, until now.

Following last week’s midterm election results, legislative leaders in both the House and Senate appear ready to take on the cannabis issue.
==================================
With Sessions gone the road to MJ legalization on a Federal level looks a lot straighter. And one major reason that could be driving this engine is $$$ from the MJ industry. All politicians need $$$.

This will happen when the government kickbacks from big marijuana are greater than the kickbacks from big pharma and the alcohol industry, not before.

This will happen when the government kickbacks from big marijuana are greater than the kickbacks from big pharma and the alcohol industry, not before.

I think a doobie is better for you than a Prozac.

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/416781-congress-is-going-to-make-marijuana-moves

Despite majority public support in favor of marijuana legalization, and super-majority support in favor of medical cannabis access, members of Congress have nonetheless been reticent to move forward with any significant changes to federal pot policy. That is, until now.

Following last week’s midterm election results, legislative leaders in both the House and Senate appear ready to take on the cannabis issue.
With Sessions gone the road to MJ legalization on a Federal level looks a lot straighter. And one major reason that could be driving this engine is $$$ from the MJ industry. All politicians need $$$.

If Christie is appointed AG you can expect a crackdown on cannabis.

Not entirely. They can't get kickbacks if they arent in office. Theyll settle for less if we demand it properly.

Not entirely. They can't get kickbacks if they arent in office. Theyll settle for less if we demand it properly.

Keep believing that, and you'll keep being disappointed. So many people believe, "If we can just get the right people to own me, I'll stop being a slave."

Keep believing that, and you'll keep being disappointed. So many people believe, "If we can just get the right people to own me, I'll stop being a slave."
I'm of the mind that they the public servants, aka we own them.

It's a shame that most people dont realize the power we have and let our servants rule us instead. It's as simple as being educated and demanding answers. An idiot king who has all the power but let's others feed him false propaganda to do their bidding.

If I understand your position correctly, that is what I believe is foolish. If your solution is to not participate, you arent taking away their power but conceding the power you you may have had

I'm of the mind that they the public servants, aka we own them.

It's a shame that most people dont realize the power we have and let our servants rule us instead.

I agree, but not in the way you might imagine. If people stopped supporting government, they'd have no power.

It's as simple as being educated and demanding answers. An idiot king who has all the power but let's others feed him false propaganda to do their bidding.

I've lived long enough to learn that being educated and rational are two different things. And, if you think you can "demand" anything of people that you have given authority over you to, that's irrational. You do not understand the nature of authority, and will be perpetually disappointed, as you are now. That idiot king doesn't care about you, and never will, other than as shepherd cares for the sheep he fleeces and slaughters. You may be lucky enough to learn someday that you don't need a shepherd. In fact, you don't even have to be a sheep.

If I understand your position correctly, that is what I believe is foolish. If your solution is to not participate, you arent taking away their power but conceding the power you you may have had

I think it's obvious we have different perspectives. I view "participation" with your masters as legitimizing their authority...and, so do they. If you disagree, just ask yourself what would happen if on the next election, everyone decided not to vote.

I think it would be a very interesting day.

Congress is so broken I just don't see a Federal Framework ever being realized, was doing a bit of reading tonight, this seems really complicated.

Evangelicals among other groups will **** the ****ing bed when it comes to legalization.

As recent as 2016, the DEA refused to reschedule the drug, it's in the same category as heroin for christsakes, that is how unbelievably stupid the American government is.

So, as I understand it, the Attorney General could potentially do an administrative action that could reschedule it, but not take it off completely, meaning perhaps medical marijuana could be legal in all jurisdictions

Then you've got the problem of all the international treaties that deal with Marijuana prohibition (decent amount of which, I'm sure were Americas brainchild).

Congress can intervene in drug scheduling but the only problem is many of their aforementioned constituents believing Marijuana and playing records backwards summon the devil, if Republicans don't play ball, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I would be happy if anyone has more in depth knowledge than the mish mash of what I've read tonight presented here.

Congress is so broken I just don't see a Federal Framework ever being realized, was doing a bit of reading tonight, this seems really complicated.

Evangelicals among other groups will **** the ****ing bed when it comes to legalization.

As recent as 2016, the DEA refused to reschedule the drug, it's in the same category as heroin for christsakes, that is how unbelievably stupid the American government is.

So, as I understand it, the Attorney General could potentially do an administrative action that could reschedule it, but not take it off completely, meaning perhaps medical marijuana could be legal in all jurisdictions

Then you've got the problem of all the international treaties that deal with Marijuana prohibition (decent amount of which, I'm sure were Americas brainchild).

Congress can intervene in drug scheduling but the only problem is many of their aforementioned constituents believing Marijuana and playing records backwards summon the devil, if Republicans don't play ball, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I would be happy if anyone has more in depth knowledge than the mish mash of what I've read tonight presented here.

All that stuff is a political problem until it isnt.

All that stuff is a political problem until it isnt.

Fair enough but how you undo decades of misinformation and scare mongering when it comes to Marijuana is something even the spin masters at Fox and the Right Wing Blogosphere are gonna struggle selling to their crowd.

Fair enough but how you undo decades of misinformation and scare mongering when it comes to Marijuana is something even the spin masters at Fox and the Right Wing Blogosphere are gonna struggle selling to their crowd.

Not a problem, look at the other stuff that crowd buys.

Luckily it has been very successful on a state level. Something like 33 states have some level of legal pot available (some with limited THC). 21 states have decriminalized. 10 states even just let you use it for recreation.

As these states fail to implode from such concessions, it will become easier and easier to get the right wing on board for the federal level.

I agree, but not in the way you might imagine. If people stopped supporting government, they'd have no power.

I've lived long enough to learn that being educated and rational are two different things. And, if you think you can "demand" anything of people that you have given authority over you to, that's irrational. You do not understand the nature of authority, and will be perpetually disappointed, as you are now. That idiot king doesn't care about you, and never will, other than as shepherd cares for the sheep he fleeces and slaughters. You may be lucky enough to learn someday that you don't need a shepherd. In fact, you don't even have to be a sheep.

I think it's obvious we have different perspectives. I view "participation" with your masters as legitimizing their authority...and, so do they. If you disagree, just ask yourself what would happen if on the next election, everyone decided not to vote.

I think it would be a very interesting day.
What is your alternative then. Anarchy? Tribes? Direct democracy? Communism?

Why does everyone demand an alternative? Why isn't it enough to just stop doing wrong?
I didnt mean an alternative system, I meant your alternative vision.

What exactly do you want to stop?
And what do you see taking its place?

Maybe he wants to stop the harm being done to all of society, users and non-users both, done by prohibition?

Maybe he wants to stop the obscene spending done on prisons and enforcement apparatus, on the Billions level years ago?

I'd like for people to stop believing they have authority over me, that they own me. I'd like them to stop their initiation of force.

Nothing should replace their aggression. When you cut out a cancerous tumor, you don't replace it with anything.

I didnt mean an alternative system...

...And what do you see taking its place?

Try to realize how you've just contradicted yourself. You do this because you've been brainwashed to believe that the system must exist, that it is necessary. If it disappears, your instinct is that something must replace it. I'd suggest trying to unlearn this untruth.

The US is signatory to the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs. That treaty defines the various drug schedules are and what drugs are on them. The treaty also defines how to reschedule drugs and that is done by the Commission on Narcotic Drugs. The only thing a signatory can do is request and scheduling change. So no I don't believe the DEA or the AG or even Congress can reschedule marijuana ( for your reference the schedule provisions of the treaty are here: https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/commissions/CND/Mandate_Functions/Mandate-and-Functions_Scheduling.html)

I recall reading somewhere last year that there are ways to stay on the right side of the treaty and legalize marijuana at the same time but I really don't remember where I read it or what they are though it was in the context of the Canadian legalization movement. It seems that Canada just decided to violate the treaty because there really isn't much of an enforcement mechanism there and aside from potential reputational damage a treaty that can't be enforced really isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Christians oppose mind altering recreational substances. The ungodly do not. Guess which party supports the ungodly position?

Try to realize how you've just contradicted yourself. You do this because you've been brainwashed to believe that the system must exist, that it is necessary. If it disappears, your instinct is that something must replace it. I'd suggest trying to unlearn this untruth.
Just because you dont replace the tumor doesnt mean it remains a void. New tissue comes in and grows in the area. Sometimes it is replaced by a perfect replacement, sometimes it is replaced by scar tissue, sometimes more cancer comes back.... Your belief that it will remain a void is the brainwashing.

You want to tear down all government? Does that include just federal? Or city and state? How will policing work? Will we be able to sustain large scale industry? Will we be enjoying the freedom of lawlessness and 3rd world poverty?

My question is, what exactly you want to stop, and how do you believe it will look 1 year later, because I think you have a very simple, idealistic, but not well thought out, scenario.

Maybe he wants to stop the harm being done to all of society, users and non-users both, done by prohibition?

Maybe he wants to stop the obscene spending done on prisons and enforcement apparatus, on the Billions level years ago?
No, I think you should follow the reply chain to see what is being discussed.

We both probably agree with your claim, but it isnt at all what we are talking about atm.

Back
Top Bottom