• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Congress: Iraq Pullout Vote Tonight

26 X World Champs said:
Why is it so hard for you all to understand that NO democrats were asking for the IMMEDIATE withdrawal of our troops,

QUOTE]
The above is clearly not the truth read your own quote. Here I'll post it for you read it carefully.

Therefore be it Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of American in Congress assembled, That:

Section 1. The deployment of United States Forces in Iraq, by direction of Congress, is hereby terminated and forces involved are to be redeployed at the earliest practicable date.

Section 2. A quick-reaction U.S. force and an over-the-horizon presence of U.S. Marines shall be deployed in the region.

Section 3. The United States of America shall pursue security and stability in Iraq through diplomacy.
What does herby TERMINATED mean to you? The practicable date is the redeployment. NOT the pullout. You cant RE-deploy unless you have been removed from DEPLOYMENT. Murtha DID ask for immediate pull out.

Murtha said:
"It's time to bring them home," said Rep. John Murtha (news, bio, voting record), a decorated Korean War and Vietnam combat veteran, choking back tears during remarks to reporters. "Our military has accomplished its mission and done its duty."
Sounds immediate to me.

I never said he was senile. And he does have a better working understanding of the upper chain of command of the military. But the majority of the military are the enlisted personnel. Officers manage the military, senior enlisted (E-7) and above lead the military, and the junior enlisted personnel are the heart and soul of the military. You can ask any retired or active duty officer and they will tell you the same thing. I have no doubt Murtha is well connected with the managers, but he does not know the leaders and workers. He himself was an manager (officer).

I will always respect anybody who honorably served his or her country. But that respect does not extend to what they do after they are no longer enlisted.

ANAV said:
I never said he was senile. And he does have a better working understanding of the upper chain of command of the military. But the majority of the military are the enlisted personnel. Officers manage the military, senior enlisted (E-7) and above lead the military, and the junior enlisted personnel are the heart and soul of the military. You can ask any retired or active duty officer and they will tell you the same thing. I have no doubt Murtha is well connected with the managers, but he does not know the leaders and workers. He himself was an manager (officer).

I will always respect anybody who honorably served his or her country. But that respect does not extend to what they do after they are no longer enlisted.
I know it wasn't you who wrote that he was getting senile (it was Navy Pride).

I was also trying to make the point that the DECISION MAKERS in the military are increasingly questioning what we're doing in Iraq but can't do it publicly and that Murtha was speaking for them. In other words, some of the people who decide military strategy at the highest level are not lock step behind Bush and the war at this point.

The "regular" military are not the people who decide whether to deploy or not to deploy. They follow orders from their superiors, and do so amazingly well.

bgdawg said:
What does herby TERMINATED mean to you? The practicable date is the redeployment. NOT the pullout. You cant RE-deploy unless you have been removed from DEPLOYMENT. Murtha DID ask for immediate pull out.

Sounds immediate to me.
:spin: Wow! That is some job of :spin: . It's remarkeable to me that you really believe what you wrote, but c'est la vie or maybe viva la difference!

ANAV said:
I am currently in the military and Murtha does not speak for me. I've been chastised on this forum for generalizing my comments that include a whole. So to say that Murtha is speaking for the military does not fly.

As I posted earlier, cutting and running is nothing new to Murtha. Murtha does not speak for the military because the military does not tuck its tail between its legs and run when the going gets tough. For being a retired war vetran he sure has little faith in the capabilities of the worlds finest military.

cnn.gif

Of course you are right on and with almost 70% of the military voting for the president in 2004 we know where they stand.......

I hate to say it but because of their hatred for this president their are people on the left that pray we fail in Iraq so they can regain political power...Nothing else matters and that is the sad part........

bgdawg said:
26 X World Champs said:
Why is it so hard for you all to understand that NO democrats were asking for the IMMEDIATE withdrawal of our troops,

QUOTE]
The above is clearly not the truth read your own quote. Here I'll post it for you read it carefully.

Murtha said:
Sounds immediate to me.

Posted in error

bgdawg said:
26 X World Champs said:

QUOTE]

Murtha said:
Sounds immediate to me.

BGDAWG Welcome to the forum my friend....Looking forward to your input..........You will find it very frustrating to debate with champs.He is the epitome of a Bush hater and all he will do is resort to insults and name calling.......

26 X World Champs said:
:spin: Wow! That is some job of :spin: . It's remarkeable to me that you really believe what you wrote, but c'est la vie or maybe viva la difference!
Sorry Champs, but that rebuttal sounds a lot like Navy Pride. :2razz:

bgdawg said:
First, being removed from deployment is in fact RE-deployment. Second, when he said the deployment of U.S. Forces in Iraq is hereby terminated, I assume that meant no more troops would be deployed to the region. Third, Murtha's call to start pulling out at the earliest practicable date should echo what Bush has been saying all along: we will pull out when the job is finished. What Bush supporter among us would admit that the President doesn't want to bring our troops home as early as possible too? It seems to me the real debate is whether or not the situation is ready for us to start backing out yet.

Navy Pride said:
I hate to say it but because of their hatred for this president their are people on the left that pray we fail in Iraq so they can regain political power...Nothing else matters and that is the sad part........
Name them or stop posting lies! You throw out made up stuff in almost every post and then run away when anyone asks you to prove what you write is true.

Tell us who on "the left that pray that we fail in Iraq"? Don't write Ward Chamberlain again! Be specific, for once, don't just write names, show their quotes that prove they want us to fail in Iraq?

Waiting for Godot.

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
bgdawg said:
BGDAWG Welcome to the forum my friend....Looking forward to your input..........You will find it very frustrating to debate with champs.He is the epitome of a Bush hater and all he will do is resort to insults and name calling.......
Thanks for th kind words Navy and a very happy Thanksgiving to you and your crew.

Navy Pride said:
Of course you are right on and with almost 70% of the military voting for the president in 2004 we know where they stand.......
Do you have the actual numbers to back this up? Not a poll or survey.

scottyz said:
Do you have the actual numbers to back this up? Not a poll or survey.

Since you did not go to Civics class as a youngster let me remind you of something. It's impossible to have the final numbers as to how the military actually voted since it's a secret ballot. So polls and surveys are the closest thing you are going to get. Here are links from the Army Times newspaper and USA Today. Both of these polls were taken a month before the election in 2004.

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?s=1-292925-activedutytotal.php
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-10-03-bush-troops_x.htm

I saw a similar survey in the Navy Times and the results were the same. It is a fact that the military is pro Republican/Bush. If polls don't count then why do the posters that left of center on this board post approval ratings?

Happy Thanksgiving!!

cnn.gif

ANAV said:
Since you did not go to Civics class as a youngster let me remind you of something. It's impossible to have the final numbers as to how the military actually voted since it's a secret ballot. So polls and surveys are the closest thing you are going to get. Here are links from the Army Times newspaper and USA Today. Both of these polls were taken a month before the election in 2004.

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?s=1-292925-activedutytotal.php
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-10-03-bush-troops_x.htm

I saw a similar survey in the Navy Times and the results were the same. It is a fact that the military is pro Republican/Bush. If polls don't count then why do the posters that left of center on this board post approval ratings?

Happy Thanksgiving!!

cnn.gif

When it comes to polls our liberal friends only cite them when they favor their position..........

Navy Pride said:
When it comes to polls our liberal friends only cite them when they favor their position..........
When it comes to facts, you only acknowledge them when they favor your position. What's the difference?

Binary_Digit said:
When it comes to facts, you only acknowledge them when they favor your position. What's the difference?
He's the same dude that says polls have no validity...

Give me an H
Give me a Y
Give me a P
Give me an O
Give me a C
Give me a R
Give me an I
Give me a T
Give me a E

What's that spell? REPUBLICANS in Congress!

cnredd said:
Why does Murtha hold more water than everyone else?..]

Well hes talking the talk the left wants to hear right now and the media ran with it like it was money.

Transcript

"the commanders say what they're supposed to say, but I can tell how discouraged they are. "----

Evidently his talents extend to mindreading now. They tell him one thing but he believes another.

Rep. Jack Murtha, D-Pa:" I'll tell you why it's different. It's different because there's no progress at all. "

I guess he has not been keeping up with election events in Iraq lately. "No progress" is quite a stretch.

I noticed he took his poll down from his website when the people polled failed to agree with him.

It was obviously hacked since...

"C. We should maintain current troop levels until Iraq builds an army to defend and stabilize their country, even if that takes years. 6,726 votes, 53.1 percent "
was the most popular answer. ...Finish the job started.
Unlikely?
-Puts on the tinfoil hat-
Presidential staff hackers!! What will the President resort to next?!

This is all really getting out of hand. He did not suggest anything new and nothing that was not already occurring.

Who exactly are these mysterious military people you claim(26) he is speaking for?
How has anything been pushed foreward by JMs actions?
So far all I see is so much wind from both sides.

You do realize that Shinsekis retirement was announced over a year and a half before he well...retired. Murtha is dipping into the same crock of shiite Kerry was reaching into in 2002.

Shinsekis was considering going into politics...

"To go from a high-ranking military position to a political candidate ... you know what it's like in the military, you express the vague thought that a cup of coffee would be nice and five or six people rush to get it," Loomis said. "In the world of politics, anybody with a 40 IQ or more feels free to stand up and call you an idiot."

"Assuming that he could keep that (change) in perspective, and make that transition, I think he'd be a very attractive candidate."

Sounds too stressful for me but whatever floats his boat. I have no idea why he would want to go from be a well respected General to being a ...politician.

Back
Top Bottom