• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Congress: Iraq Pullout Vote Tonight

Regardless of how dana spins it, these are the facts. There were 3 votes to surrender to the enemy, put our tails between our legs and run away, thus screwing the Kurds once again. It failed miserably. So put that in your liberal pipes and smoke it. Cheers.

Re: Republicans tell dems to put up or shut up about cutting and running in Iraq.

Originally posted by KCConservative:
The vote wasn't even close. Turns out that not so many Americans (congressmen included) are interested in surrendering. The Kurds have already been screwed enough. There's no way we're going to let that happen again. The war in Iraq will be over when it's over. Cheers.
First off, are you related to AK_? Secondly, I don't think there is much of a relation between Congress and the American people. The vote of 403-3 shows that all the smoke and fire the Democrats are doing these days is just a bullshit illusion of the truth. They say their opposing Bush and the war, but their actions say the opposite. Both parties are at fault for this and their not fooling anyone. Congress has been pussified and does not have the balls to stand up to the criminal President.

What we did in Iraq is the most cowardly act of war a country could ever do to another country that did nothing to them! And if 403 Congressmen and women think that they are going to get away with this one, just wait and see what happens in the polls next year. Republicans are already dead in the water after Katrina. Democrats are not much better and should pay more attention to the winds of change.

26 X World Champs said:
What a bunch of BS! Take your blinders off!

1. Schmidt was universally condemned for her personal attack and was FORCED to make an apology and have her remarks stricken from the record. Did you miss that or is it inconvenient for you to include this FACT in the debate?

2. The only people naive (aka ignorant) enough to believe that Hunter's non-binding resolution was a Democratic effort are the very same Bushie's that have been blinded all along. The 66% of America who disagree with Bush and his policies are on to Hunter's grandstanding gesture.

3. Murtha's resolution was never brought up for a vote. For anyone to suggest that an altered version introduced by a Republican means $hit then you really would be in LA LA land.

Murtha spoke from his heart this week. Hunter, Schmidt et al spoke from their bag of political tricks. The American public knows the difference.

This last week has been yet another bummer week for Republicans. The dyke is leaking and as each day passes it's every Republican for themselves as evident by the withdrawl of the ANWAR drilling funds and Tax Cuts from the latest spending bill.

I'm enjoying watching the Republicans squirm and the Dems on the offensive. Each day now the country inches towards the Democratic party. Republicans living in denial are GOOD for Democrats because denial also means lack of action, lack of cohesiveness, and lack of a rebuttal.

It's too soon to see the actual results of Hunter's bullshit referendum, but the pictures of the House members yelling at each other, with Republicans getting booed and Dems getting cheered are powerful images. The video of Schmidt calling Murtha a ***** and McLelland comparing Murtha to Moore is free publicity that Dem strategists could not have planned, and the next round of polls should be quite interesting.

Murtha said something really intelligent yesterday, he said that this war cannot be won on the battlefield, that the only way to win is through diplomacy at the negotiating table. So true.

Murtha also reiterated that the Iraq war from day one had NOTHING to do with terrorism or Al Quaeda, and this vital fact is at the core of why America is not buying Bush's bullshit anymore.

Murtha Called for the immediate Surrender of the US military. adding that it would take months to withdraw completely.
how is that different than what the Reps in congress put to a vote

How do you propose Negotiating with terrorists
typical idealogue nonsense
they want nothing but the destruction of our way of life
just what concessions do you propose we offer to appease murderous fanatics

DeeJayH said:
Murtha Called for the immediate Surrender of the US military. adding that it would take months to withdraw completely.

typical idealogue nonsense
they want nothing but the destruction of our way of life
just what concessions do you propose we offer to appease murderous fanatics

No he didnt. From Murtha's speech:
My plan calls:
To immediately redeploy U.S. troops consistent with the safety of U.S. forces.
To create a quick reaction force in the region.
To create an over- the- horizon presence of Marines.
To diplomatically pursue security and stability in Iraq

That is much different than the DIFFERENT version you are attemptnig to attribute to him.

See Murtha's speech here before you buy into the lies which are attempting to change what he said.

Such a spineless bunch of snakes, the Democrats. It is no wonder they have been abandoned in so many circles, you can't even find anyone who admits to being one today, it's sad. The left has done it's damage, and it has hurt us all, I hope they wake up soon, our country is being torn in half.

Deegan said:
Such a spineless bunch of snakes, the Democrats. It is no wonder they have been abandoned in so many circles, you can't even find anyone who admits to being one today, it's sad. The left has done it's damage, and it has hurt us all, I hope they wake up soon, our country is being torn in half.

I agree with you Deegan, but it takes 2 to tango and tear a nation apart. Dont put it all on the Democrats. The GOP has done more than their share of the same thing, and in spades, last night.

Here is the text of the Murtha Resolution:

Therefore be it Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of American in Congress assembled, That:

Section 1. The deployment of United States Forces in Iraq, by direction of Congress, is hereby terminated and forces involved are to be redeployed at the earliest practicable date.

Section 2. A quick-reaction U.S. force and an over-the-horizon presence of U.S. Marines shall be deployed in the region.

Section 3. The United States of America shall pursue security and stability in Iraq through diplomacy.

Now the text of the resolution the Republicans replaced it with:
Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the deployment of United States forces in Iraq be terminated immediately.

1 Resolved, That it is the sense of the House of Representatives that the deployment of United States forces in Iraq be terminated immediately.

Now you and I have been knocking heads for over a year now, but I know you are not a dumb guy. In fact, I would say you are pretty smart. So tell me, you dont see what happened here with the substitution of the GOP resolution, and their attempt to credit that substitution to Murtha? I dont know what you think, but I think it is disgusting.

danarhea said:
I agree with you Deegan, but it takes 2 to tango and tear a nation apart. Dont put it all on the Democrats. The GOP has done more than their share of the same thing, and in spades, last night.

Here is the text of the Murtha Resolution:

Now the text of the resolution the Republicans replaced it with:

Now you and I have been knocking heads for over a year now, but I know you are not a dumb guy. In fact, I would say you are pretty smart. So tell me, you dont see what happened here with the substitution of the GOP resolution, and their attempt to credit that substitution to Murtha? I dont know what you think, but I think it is disgusting.

Oh, I agree, it's just that the Republicans character defects have been front and center for 5 years, it's time that Dem's admit a few mistakes. I would much rather have a unified nation, and not what we so frequently see today. If we could come together, so many good things could be possible, but sadly, America seems to take a backseat to everything these days.:doh

Deegan said:
Oh, I agree, it's just that the Republicans character defects have been front and center for 5 years, it's time that Dem's admit a few mistakes. I would much rather have a unified nation, and not what we so frequently see today. If we could come together, so many good things could be possible, but sadly, America seems to take a backseat to everything these days.:doh

Coming together will never happen, because of all the different views of Americans, but what makes it worse is that the GOP tends to call everyone who disagrees with them traitors. That is reprehensible, but I also understand that the Democrats were also demogogues when they had the power. Again, a case of it takes 2 - Democrats and Republicans. I faced the fact long ago that, as long as either party is in power, nothing will be done for America, but for the special interests which are at war to control this nation. I would say that there are traitorous elements in both parties which put their own personal fortunes ahead of what is right for America, and it will continue unless We the People wake up and throw every damn one of them, Democrats and Republicans, out on their ears. But with the typical American's unwillingness to get up from the reality TV shows he or she watches just long enough to go out and vote, I dont see that happening soon. It is going to take a real crisis or calamity to wake them up, and should that happen, then God help the politicians, who sell us out everyday, in the face of the wrath of the American people.

KCConservative said:
Regardless of how dana spins it, these are the facts. There were 3 votes to surrender to the enemy, put our tails between our legs and run away, thus screwing the Kurds once again. It failed miserably. So put that in your liberal pipes and smoke it. Cheers.
Do you have a comprehension issue? The referendum that failed was a bullshit REPUBLICAN draft not endorsed by anyone and only truly blind, deaf and dumb Bush loyalists are ignorant enough to think anything else.

Murtha's plan had merit, and it deserves to be debated without a time deadline, and with some considered thought. Maybe some of you Republicans are incapable of having an honest debate (lots of proof of that in this community) but the majority of Americans want a frank discussion on this subject and will get it, sooner or later.

Republicans are so petrified these days they're resorting to tactics so transparent that even Stevie Wonder can see what they're doing. As with most things they're doing these days this too will lower America's opinion of the GOP.

DeeJayH said:
Your post is totally and completely untrue! Surrender of the US Military! How can anyone debate with you when you post such idiotic words? Do you really not understand or are you simply trying to post stupid nonsense?
DeeJayH said:
typical idealogue nonsensethey want nothing but the destruction of our way of life just what concessions do you propose we offer to appease murderous fanatics
Terrorists? Iraqis are terrorists? Negotiating means getting the three major groups to compromise for the best interests of Iraq. You're never going to defeat them militarily so what other recourse is there? We need to make the election next month work, then solowly pull back while empowering the new government to defend themselves. Murtha's plan to pull back into neighboring countries and to maintain a quick strike force is ingenious, and it is the sane solution.

So please stop writing bullshit posts that contain blatant untruths about Rep. Murtha's remarks and his ideas. At the very least get the facts right and THEN debate them, but to make up lies is just not the way debates are conducted.

This was a calculated risk by the democrats..They figured they would get a hawk like Murtha to start whinning about cutting and running and the republicans would not atack a decorated war veteran but the republicans stuck it to them and it backfired......The republicans did not attack Murtha on his military service or war record but they attacked his cut and run position.........They called for that vote and only 2 democrats stood on principle and said to cut and run.........The rest although they wanted to cut and run were to cowardly to put it in writing...........

Navy Pride said:
This was a calculated risk by the democrats..They figured they would get a hawk like Murtha to start whinning about cutting and running and the republicans would not atack a decorated war veteran but the republicans stuck it to them and it backfired......The republicans did not attack Murtha on his military service or war record but they attacked his cut and run position.........They called for that vote and only 2 democrats stood on principle and said to cut and run.........The rest although they wanted to cut and run were to cowardly to put it in writing...........
Why don't you address the point that Murtha's plan was NOT TO CUT AND RUN?

Republicans are really feeling the heat these days, what a pleasure to see their come upance.

Yes.... as the vote passed 403-3

Looks like the dems are more for keeping the troops there than liberals would like to believe. So, when do all y'all start villifying them, too?

Binary_Digit said:

Murtha's plan:
My plan calls:
-To immediately redeploy U.S. troops consistent with the safety of U.S. forces.
-To create a quick reaction force in the region.
-To create an over- the- horizon presence of Marines.
-To diplomatically pursue security and stability in Iraq

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/pa12_murtha/pr051117iraq.html

So, which part isnt cutting, and which part isn't running?

M14 Shooter said:
Yes.... as the vote passed 403-3

Looks like the dems are more for keeping the troops there than liberals would like to believe. So, when do all y'all start villifying them, too?
Maybe if you stopped playing with guns you would have understood that the vote was absolutely meaningless, except to the Bushies who are already part of the decreasing minority.

There's no reason for you to agree with me since you never will, nor will you ever change your mind, it is permanently poisoned.

Fortunately the rest of the country isn't as blind and they have already begun to shift away from the failures of the Bush Administration.

Let's see what the Sunday editorials and Sunday talk shows have to say?

schorr0614058iu.gif

26 X World Champs said:
Maybe if you stopped playing with guns you would have understood that the vote was absolutely meaningless,
You say that because you lost. If it was meaningless the dems could have abstained from voting rahter than voting NO.

except to the Bushies who are already part of the decreasing minority.

Wistling in the dark champs?
There's no reason for you to agree with me since you never will, nor will you ever change your mind, it is permanently poisoned.
This coming from the guy who posts pictures of monkeys and then claims he didn't. Want me to repost the several times I caught and proved you lying champs? "The Great Monkey Fiasco". Remember?

Fortunately the rest of the country isn't as blind and they have already begun to shift away from the failures of the Bush Administration.

You sound just like Micheal Moore. Blanket statements champs. But hey, if it makes you feel better. I'm on your ignore list, ain't I?

Yea, you go there and latch onto to anyone who agrees with you and go ahead and feel validated. I'm sure Elanore Clift agrees with you. The rest of us can stand on our own on this site.

The people like you in congress last night proved they don't have the balls to vote to back up their weak, Bush hating, we lost the election and we are sore losers, partisan rhetoric. The Democrates lost major face last night. Now much of their anti-war rhetoric will mean nothing. It has been exposed for the partisan bullshit it is.

Binary_Digit said:

There is no point to address it was a postion to cut and run.........

The dems and Murtha just made a huge miscalculation.........They were totally out foxed by the republicans........

Teacher I don't know why you even try and debate with him.....He never addresses the topic.........He just insults other posters who disagree with him.......Why bother?

Navy Pride said:
Teacher I don't know why you even try and debate with him.....He never addresses the topic.........He just insults other posters who disagree with him.......Why bother?
:rofl I prove you wrong in almost every post that you write and you never have the balls to defend yourself. You run and hide. Your modus operandi is to write stuff that is NEVER right and then when I or others prove that you're wrong you completely ignore that you've been proven to be wrong.

You never debate, you write two sentence posts that always say the same $hit, i.e. "You lefties this" of "You lefties that" or "Book it".

I can't think of anyone in this community who posts come close to being wrong as often as your posts do. Statistically it's amazing that any one person's posts can be wrong so much of the time, but there are exceptions to every rule.

What warms my heart is knowing that YOU believe that this sham of a vote is good for Bush, because, like George Costanza, the opposite of what you post almost always comes true. Therefore if you believe as you posted that Murtha said we should "cut and run" and that the vote was a slap in the face of Democrats then we Dems have a lot to be optimistic about.

Navy, you know how you love that Howard Dean is the DNC chairmen, you write all the time that it's the best thing for Republicans? I feel the same way about your posts. I think that if you think something is good for the Republicans that you're wrong and that brighter days are ahead for Progressives and for the USA.

:notlook: :clap: :2bow:

Navy Pride said:

One of the first things I did when I came to this site is expose champs as a liar. I proved it. You can see it in the top ten thread, posts #57-59. Notice I don't often write to him. He's done. Emasculated. Beaten. Once in a while I just like to remind him I'm still here. Notice he never responds to me. Either because I'm on his ignore list. Which is the cowards way out. Or he knows if he bucks up that I go for the throat with logic and facts.

26 X World Champs said:

schorr0614058iu.gif

What an insightful illustration. replace the figures with every leader this nation has ever had and the name of the deployment and you have successfully defined our society. Way to suggest that Bush is exclusive.:roll:

I have an illustration that shows troops wading in water walking in one direction. They look up and read a sign that say's, "You are now leaving Somalia...welcome to Haiti." I kept it and I have it in a portfolio, as it personally hit home. I love being used by politicians, reporters, and the general masses for their political BS.

This is how one can tell the agendized debater with the diverse debater.

Last edited:
teacher said:
One of the first things I did when I came to this site is expose champs as a liar. I proved it. You can see it in the top ten thread, posts #57-59. Notice I don't often write to him. He's done. Emasculated. Beaten. Once in a while I just like to remind him I'm still here. Notice he never responds to me. Either because I'm on his ignore list. Which is the cowards way out. Or he knows if he bucks up that I go for the throat with logic and facts.

He can't debate, he just attacks the messenger with name calling and insults.......

I very seldom respond to his tripe because I know what will happen..........

Murtha expressed his opinion on the matter, and the Republicans are trying to spin this into seeming that his position is the position of the entire Democratic party. This is inaccurate, and serves only to prove that the Republicans will do everything in their power to continue to mislead the American people.

The majority of the Democrats in the House and Senate have simply called for an exit strategy, which this administration has yet to provide. I personally think it is wrong to get a very specific timeline, but we should at least get some idea of when the troops we have there are going to be replaced with Iraqi troops. It was demanded of Clinton after only one month of combat in 1999, so why is it so difficult for this administration to provide one after two years?

The American people deserve to know what victory is in this war. Oh, and just saying, "We're staying until the job is done." doesn't cut it.

Back
Top Bottom