• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congratulations, you're the new Commissioner (Overlord) of MLB

Velvet Elvis

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
The other day, someone asked me, "If you had total control over MLB baseball, what would you do to better the game?"
I thought it'd be fun to list what people would do.

As acting Overlord of MLB...

1) There will be a clear, and defined list of illegal substances. It will be dynamic, as it changes with modern sciences. If any contracted player is caught in the possession of anything from this list, your contract is immediately voided and you have a 1-year ban. In the off-season, when free-agency commences, your cheating ass is free to negotiate a new contract. If you get caught a second time, contract voided and lifetime ban without reprieve.

2) Outfield fences are moved back ten feet. Home runs are too commonplace now. Without steroids, the game needs to move more towards the "Average Joe" type player, and not the "musclebound freak." It is easier for fans to relate to players who look like normal guys (Ozzie Smith, George Brett, Andre Dawson, or anyone prior to 1980). Not to mention, it's not the home run that's the most exciting...it's the stolen base.

3) Revision of the uniforms. This is professional baseball. Dress professionally. Fitted uniforms (no Livan Hernandez pajamas) and stirrups. Leave the jewelry in the locker room.

4) 40% price reduction on concessions, and a minimum of 10% reduction on tickets. Baseball has become too expensive for fans to watch in person. This has to be fixed.

5) Interleague play? Dead. It was more interesting when you had teams in the World Series who'd never seen each other.

6) The All-Star Game is played the weekend before the beginning of the season, when the players are itching to play, and the fans are antsy to see baseball played. (I was going to ban Tim McCarver, but he's getting out before he feels my wrath).

What are your ideas for a better MLB?

Either encourage all forms of PED's. Or outright ban (in the Pete Rose sense) every player caught using them, and erase all their records and sue them for all the money they earned. One or the other. I perfer the ban.

1: Same as the above. Stop cheaters dead.

2: NL must adopt the DH rule.

3: All star game goes to the end of the season, and it is meaningless. The team with the best record will have home field advantage in the World Series.

4: Instant replay on a challenge type system. Each team can challenge 1 play a game. Use it wisely.

5: More doubleheaders, enough to cut 2 weeks off the schedule. Doubleheaders are fun for fans, a good challenge for managers.

6: Salary cap with a ceiling and a floor.

The other day, someone asked me, "If you had total control over MLB baseball, what would you do to better the game?"
I thought it'd be fun to list what people would do.

As acting Overlord of MLB...

1) There will be a clear, and defined list of illegal substances. It will be dynamic, as it changes with modern sciences. If any contracted player is caught in the possession of anything from this list, your contract is immediately voided and you have a 1-year ban. In the off-season, when free-agency commences, your cheating ass is free to negotiate a new contract. If you get caught a second time, contract voided and lifetime ban without reprieve.

2) Outfield fences are moved back ten feet. Home runs are too commonplace now. Without steroids, the game needs to move more towards the "Average Joe" type player, and not the "musclebound freak." It is easier for fans to relate to players who look like normal guys (Ozzie Smith, George Brett, Andre Dawson, or anyone prior to 1980). Not to mention, it's not the home run that's the most exciting...it's the stolen base.

3) Revision of the uniforms. This is professional baseball. Dress professionally. Fitted uniforms (no Livan Hernandez pajamas) and stirrups. Leave the jewelry in the locker room.

4) 40% price reduction on concessions, and a minimum of 10% reduction on tickets. Baseball has become too expensive for fans to watch in person. This has to be fixed.

5) Interleague play? Dead. It was more interesting when you had teams in the World Series who'd never seen each other.

6) The All-Star Game is played the weekend before the beginning of the season, when the players are itching to play, and the fans are antsy to see baseball played. (I was going to ban Tim McCarver, but he's getting out before he feels my wrath).

What are your ideas for a better MLB?

Why fitted uniforms and stirrups? That's so 1970s-80s. I can understand banning jewelry and the pants that go down past your heels, but the classic baseball uniform is like what Babe Ruth wore, IMO, and players then wore baggy pants and didn't wear stirrups.

Hate him all we want, but I actually think the way Arod wears his uniform is the classic, professional baseball look, not those queer looking things from the 70s and 80s.

Last edited:
Why fitted uniforms and stirrups? That's so 1970s-80s. I can understand banning jewelry and the pants that go down past your heels, but the classic baseball uniform is like what Babe Ruth wore, IMO, and players then wore baggy pants and didn't wear stirrups.

Well, OK...I guess when I mean "fitted," I mean "the size they actually wear." For instance, if Manny Ramirez (another offender) is an XL, he wears an XL. Not an XXXXXL, where the sleeves are at his wrists, and it looks like he's wearing a mu-mu.

As far as the All-Star Game, hell yes it means nothing! Best team record should have home field advantage. The DH, however...I'm not a fan. If you can't play the field, you can't play the game. Not only that, but there's far less strategy in a DH baseball game.

Back
Top Bottom