• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Confession: I have a problem with drinking...

Is it really fun to get drunk?
If it were your child getting drunk, how would you feel?
My step son and I drink together.
Go to the bar after work, have a few beers, a shot, something to eat, hang out with some friends and family.

I have no problem with adults who know their limits, and stop before they reach them.

I don't really have a problem with teens/young adults who drink beyond their limits, because that's when you learn where your limits are. I don't necessarily want to be around them though.

I can't stand adults who drink more than they can handle.

I have no problem with adults who know their limits, and stop before they reach them.

I don't really have a problem with teens/young adults who drink beyond their limits, because that's when you learn where your limits are. I don't necessarily want to be around them though.

I can't stand adults who drink more than they can handle.

I drink coca cola when I go to the pub...everyone who is drunk looks like the ''Joker'':cool:

Anyone have a reason why drinking to excess is acceptable?

Because it's none of your damn business what someone else does with their own time. It's called freedom.

About an hour and a half later another neighbor arrives home from the bar (thankfully driven by someone else), sees the damage and begins yelling at the top of his lungs about how inept the city was for not cutting down the tree that was now blocking his driveway... and the street. This went on for about ten minutes... No question that he had woken anyone not dead, including the nurses. Now, he didn't "hurt" any of them... but is this okay?

Being an obnoxious ****wit is not ok. The logical error you are making is equivocating drinking and being an obnoxious ****wit. They are not the same. One can drink and not be an obnoxious ****wit, and one can be an obnoxious ****wit without drinking. That is where your argument fails.

My step son and I drink together.
Go to the bar after work, have a few beers, a shot, something to eat, hang out with some friends and family.

Clearly, you're a terrible person.

Is it really fun to get drunk?
If it were your child getting drunk, how would you feel?

The first dozen times, it kinda is, as long as nothing goes sideways.... which is always the worry when your judgment is shot to ****. I got tired of it pretty quickly. (I was 19-20 at the time.)

I don't advocate it; I have religious reservations about drunkenness, as well as common-sense ones about drinking to the point where your normal abilities and judgment are seriously impaired.

My child is almost an adult. We've had a number of conversations on the subject; he knows I pretty much abstained from all alcohol from age 22 to age 44... at which point I began drinking in moderation again. We've discussed the risks and the mistakes commonly made by many people with alcohol. I've advised him that it is best to leave it alone entirely unless you're SURE you can handle it, and that "handling it" means NOT drinking every day, and rarely if ever having more than one or two at a sitting, and not doing anything risky like driving for at least an hour afterward.

At this point in time he professes no interest in alcohol. I let him taste a beer at home not long ago, and he found it hideously nasty... as I expected. :)
Had he had his first sip of beer among peers who were drinking, he might have felt socially obligated to pretend he liked it. Here at home with just me he felt free to proclaim it nasty and unfit for consumption and avow his disinclination to drink anything he found so foul.

Which of course, was the whole purpose of the exercise... clever, crafty Daddy.... :mrgreen:

Let's see how quickly this thread dies...

No, I don't have a drinking problem... I have a problem with people who drink past the point of light enjoyment or for health benefits. Here is my problem... Drinking past this point turns every person I've ever known (or not known) into idiots. Considering the dumbed down state of our citizenry already... do we really need idiots acting even more idiotic than normal?

I'm so tired of hearing the excuse "I'm sorry, I was drunk at the time". Now, I don't hang out with folks that need to say that, but just relating it to news stories, sit-coms, entertainers... forum posters... etc.

Disclosure: As a rule, I don't drink aside from an occasional glass of wine for the ol' ticker.

Anyone else share this view?

Anyone have a reason why drinking to excess is acceptable?

I have a problem with authoritarians (you) who believe they have the right to tell others how to conduct themselves.

Because it's none of your damn business what someone else does with their own time. It's called freedom.

It's my business when they inflict their drunken stupidity onto me in any way. Until then, of course, you are free to be as drunk and stupid as you like.

I have a problem with authoritarians (you) who believe they have the right to tell others how to conduct themselves.

Where, anywhere in this thread have I said others should conduct themselves in any way? I just said I hate induced stupidity. It's my personal opinion formed from personal experience, nothing more.

Kneejerk much?

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think Occam's Razor is advocating making it ILLEGAL, at least not in any post I've read.... the only thing I've seen him say is he doesn't like it, thinks it is dumb, and doesn't want to be around it. THAT is simply personal opinion and preference, and there's nothing wrong with someone having their preferences as long as they aren't trying to impose them on society coercively. Right?

Did I say, "there oughta be a law?" no.

Did I say people shouldn't do that? no.

Did I say that you don't have a right to violate my sensibilities or views? No.

They are just opinions. Deal with it. Do whatever you like... just do it away from me. Thanks.

Where, anywhere in this thread have I said others should conduct themselves in any way? I just said I hate induced stupidity. It's my personal opinion formed from personal experience, nothing more.

Kneejerk much?

Agreed.

Considering that most people are brainwashed how do you expect me to take a casual comment?

9/10 times I'm talking to zombies.

It's my business when they inflict their drunken stupidity onto me in any way. Until then, of course, you are free to be as drunk and stupid as you like.

I've already addressed this. Read my other post. You're making a logical error by mistaking being an obnoxious ****wit for drinking.

Did I say, "there oughta be a law?" no.

Did I say people shouldn't do that? no.

Did I say that you don't have a right to violate my sensibilities or views? No.

They are just opinions. Deal with it. Do whatever you like... just do it away from me. Thanks.

Agreed once again.

Agreed.

Considering that most people are brainwashed how do you expect me to take a casual comment?

9/10 times I'm talking to zombies.

And yet, it is pretty rude to just make that assumption, that you're in conversation with a 'zombie', without some reason for such an assumption.

Bud, you need a beer. :)

I've already addressed this. Read my other post. You're making a logical error by mistaking being an obnoxious ****wit for drinking.

He didn't say "drinking". He said drinking to excess, and strongly implied he was mainly talking about people who get shoatally titfaced. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think Occam's Razor is advocating making it ILLEGAL, at least not in any post I've read.... the only thing I've seen him say is he doesn't like it, thinks it is dumb, and doesn't want to be around it. THAT is simply personal opinion and preference, and there's nothing wrong with someone having their preferences as long as they aren't trying to impose them on society coercively. Right?

No he didn't and I certainly appreciate those who hold such perspectives.

I don't know what I said but apparently I misjudged an individual..

I suppose it's difficult to say what you mean and mean what you say given our choice of words.

He didn't say "drinking". He said drinking to excess, and strongly implied he was mainly talking about people who get shoatally titfaced. :)

That doesn't matter. It's still possible to drink to "excess" and not bother anyone. That's the mistake you keep making - asserting that being drunk necessarily means you're going to harm someone. That's simply false.

And yet, it is pretty rude to just make that assumption, that you're in conversation with a 'zombie', without some reason for such an assumption.

Zombies do exist - I call them democrats and RINO's.

That doesn't matter. It's still possible to drink to "excess" and not bother anyone. That's the mistake you keep making - asserting that being drunk necessarily means you're going to harm someone. That's simply false.

I didn't say you were going to harm anyone, and I don't think O.R. said that either. He said he doesn't like it and doesn't want to be around people doing it.

Now he DID assert that most people who get falling-down drunk proceed to act like assholes... and while I might quibble a little I don't entirely disagree. The majority of people, when seriously drunk, become somewhere between annoying and pain-in-the-ass to those who are relatively sober. Not all, necessarily... but most.

Even a happy drunk can start getting annoying the 5th time he bursts into hysterical giggles because the dog looked at him funny.

Once I understand an individual I can say whatever the **** I want...

I suppose in this case I didn't follow my own rules.

Funny how I can own up to my own self that I was wrong yet democrats and progressives can't.

Back
Top Bottom