• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Confession: I have a problem with drinking...

There was recent studies that shows alcohol to be a fairly serious human carcinogen, even in very small quantities. I'll have to find the study, but it was fairly recent.
That would be worthwhile info. And there are studies that say a little alcohol is good for the heart etc too.

I suspect the air we all breathe is quite carcinogenic.

Alcohol is perceived by the human body to be a poison, whereupon it attempts to flush the toxin out. While doing so, it flushes out many other toxins. People who do not consume alcohol do not experience this periodic flushing and toxins tend to build up in their bodies........................

Food does the same thing that is why we poop.

I drink maybe once every couple of months, but I go for broke. Alcohol tastes bad to me, almost universally; I hate beer, wine, and most liquors. For me, drinking without getting drunk is about as fun as licking the backs of stamps. I've been falling down drunk before, but I'm typically just "are my feet still there?" drunk. I like going to bars and chatting up random people; it just goes more smoothly with a little liquid inspiration. I do it for fun, it's as simple as that.

Alcohol is one of the drugs that typically doesn't lead to addiction from physical dependence alone; most people can drink everyday, including to drunkenness, and not become an alcoholic. The real issue is just whether they can stop drinking when it's inappropriate. It's all about "why" they're drinking; if it's a coping mechanism, it will almost certainly lead to addiction. But, "fun" isn't a coping mechanism for most people.

I've noticed a trend that doesn't seem to match the studies, though; although it's often said that kids of alcoholic parents or who drink when they're young, will have a higher chance of becoming drunks. My experience has been the exact opposite; Lots of people that come from "good" families and then have that first drink at 21, have quickly lost control. But, the people that have been drinking since they're 10, have no problems with self-control. Either my experiences have been exceptionally atypical, or these studies aren't correct. I'm guessing that it comes down to how they define "alcoholic". The guy who was drinking from childhood does tend to drink more, but it doesn't turn him into a clown. Mr. Goodboy can have one beer and wake up in jail. Am I wrong, or do these studies seem questionable?

I drink maybe once every couple of months, but I go for broke. Alcohol tastes bad to me, almost universally; I hate beer, wine, and most liquors. For me, drinking without getting drunk is about as fun as licking the backs of stamps. I've been falling down drunk before, but I'm typically just "are my feet still there?" drunk. I like going to bars and chatting up random people; it just goes more smoothly with a little liquid inspiration. I do it for fun, it's as simple as that.

Alcohol is one of the drugs that typically doesn't lead to addiction from physical dependence alone; most people can drink everyday, including to drunkenness, and not become an alcoholic. The real issue is just whether they can stop drinking when it's inappropriate. It's all about "why" they're drinking; if it's a coping mechanism, it will almost certainly lead to addiction. But, "fun" isn't a coping mechanism for most people.

I've noticed a trend that doesn't seem to match the studies, though; although it's often said that kids of alcoholic parents or who drink when they're young, will have a higher chance of becoming drunks. My experience has been the exact opposite; Lots of people that come from "good" families and then have that first drink at 21, have quickly lost control. But, the people that have been drinking since they're 10, have no problems with self-control. Either my experiences have been exceptionally atypical, or these studies aren't correct. I'm guessing that it comes down to how they define "alcoholic". The guy who was drinking from childhood does tend to drink more, but it doesn't turn him into a clown. Mr. Goodboy can have one beer and wake up in jail. Am I wrong, or do these studies seem questionable?

I think learning your limit is very important for young people. I also think if people say they are taking your keys you should be humble.

The culture of overindulgence is sophomoric and childish. Those who overindulge regularly either have an unsolved psychosis or they are in arrested development.
That being said I believe you should get good and drunk at least once a year. It is cathartic and keeps you in touch with who the un-inhibited you really is.
jus'sayin'

Swing and a miss. I don't drink alcohol, at all, and when younger and did I was a cheap drunk more likely to pass out or sit in silence. You must feel something beyond the ordinary about it, otherwise you'd not have started a thread here ranting on about it.

I suppose, since I don't know your gender, you could be just venting and needing us to say, "we understand". In that case, "I understand".

The point was... it's not a political issue. No miss. Neither is it a gender issue.

As for the rest, I've clearly stated my problem with it.

A friend of mine and I had this theoretical discussion a couple of years ago while watching people at a bar. I proposed the two rules of drinking; each just as important as the other.

1. It's the journey, not the destination.

2. Handle your ****.

If you're really slamming them down, you break rule one, and risk breaking two.

I enjoy drinking as a social lubricant and an anxiety reducer because I have OCD and significant social anxiety. That being said, I make a real effort to follow the rules and to not be annoying.

The culture of overindulgence is sophomoric and childish. Those who overindulge regularly either have an unsolved psychosis or they are in arrested development.
That being said I believe you should get good and drunk at least once a year. It is cathartic and keeps you in touch with who the un-inhibited you really is.
jus'sayin'

See, I just don't get this. I've been drunk a few times... never have I felt that I was anymore un-inhibited than I was before. It seems to me to be just an excuse to be un-inhibited. Just my two cents...

Let's see how quickly this thread dies...

No, I don't have a drinking problem... I have a problem with people who drink past the point of light enjoyment or for health benefits. Here is my problem... Drinking past this point turns every person I've ever known (or not known) into idiots. Considering the dumbed down state of our citizenry already... do we really need idiots acting even more idiotic than normal?

I'm so tired of hearing the excuse "I'm sorry, I was drunk at the time". Now, I don't hang out with folks that need to say that, but just relating it to news stories, sit-coms, entertainers... forum posters... etc.

Disclosure: As a rule, I don't drink aside from an occasional glass of wine for the ol' ticker.

Anyone else share this view?

Anyone have a reason why drinking to excess is acceptable?

I begrudge no one a drink or two, or even three... or four if they can keep their schtick together and not start acting like a jackass.

I like a drink or two now and then myself.... but I gave up the whole staggering-drunk routine by the time I was 21. There's a limit to how many times that is fun.

I don't really like dealing with people who are REALLY drunk. I will typically avoid them if at all possible; I'll make my excuses and leave, etc. You just never know what idiotic thing someone who is shoatally titfaced is going to do, and I'm not interested in dealing with the fallout. I like things a lot quieter these days.

I have this buddy... he's a great guy mostly, but once in a while he drinks a little too much (not drunk drunk, but about half lit) and starts LOUDLY telling stories about his Army days... and they usually involve strippers or hookers or something like that, and I've heard him doing it with his wife in earshot. It is embarrassing to me, for him and her both, and I don't like it, so I tend to avoid him on those rare occasions he overindulges in libation.

I begrudge no one a drink or two, or even three... or four if they can keep their schtick together and not start acting like a jackass.

I like a drink or two now and then myself.... but I gave up the whole staggering-drunk routine by the time I was 21. There's a limit to how many times that is fun.

I don't really like dealing with people who are REALLY drunk. I will typically avoid them if at all possible; I'll make my excuses and leave, etc. You just never know what idiotic thing someone who is shoatally titfaced is going to do, and I'm not interested in dealing with the fallout. I like things a lot quieter these days.

I have this buddy... he's a great guy mostly, but once in a while he drinks a little too much (not drunk drunk, but about half lit) and starts LOUDLY telling stories about his Army days... and they usually involve strippers or hookers or something like that, and I've heard him doing it with his wife in earshot. It is embarrassing to me, for him and her both, and I don't like it, so I tend to avoid him on those rare occasions he overindulges in libation.

Exactly what I'm talking about.

See, I just don't get this. I've been drunk a few times... never have I felt that I was anymore un-inhibited than I was before. It seems to me to be just an excuse to be un-inhibited. Just my two cents...

Or just an excuse to help the ol' ticker. ;)

My patience grows thin with people who can't control their alcohol buzz.

In my younger days, I went over the line a few times myself. I thought I was funny and cool. That made one of us who thought that way. I was never mean spirited or anything like that. Never irresponsible. Just stupid.

But I am no longer a child and I have put those childish things away. I do enjoy a beer or two or three still. And I don't use the "medicinal" excuse to do it. That is so cliche. But my body gives out before I get a chance to hurt myself or get stupid. I can't drink like I used to. Makes me ill.

I don't hang around drunk and stupid people either. I politely take my leave. People that drink and drive really piss me off.

My patience grows thin with people who can't control their alcohol buzz.

In my younger days, I went over the line a few times myself. I thought I was funny and cool. That made one of us who thought that way. I was never mean spirited or anything like that. Never irresponsible. Just stupid.

But I am no longer a child and I have put those childish things away. I do enjoy a beer or two or three still. And I don't use the "medicinal" excuse to do it. That is so cliche. But my body gives out before I get a chance to hurt myself or get stupid. I can't drink like I used to. Makes me ill.

I don't hang around drunk and stupid people either. I politely take my leave. People that drink and drive really piss me off.

There is substantial evidence that a few ounces a day is beneficial, especially red wine. If you have circulation issues, any will do. That's not an excuse. Big difference. Even so, I would say I consume two average bottles of wine a year... if that. Sadly, not enough to benefit from.

I think there is an element of loosening inhibitions in excessive drink... but I think the real central issue is that a lot of people get drunk in order to give themselves an EXCUSE to behave in the manner they really wanted to anyway.

In fact I'm pretty sure this is 80% of the reason Japanese men tie one on.... they live in such a stratified, structured and heirarchial society where acting the least bit "off" can usually get you in big trouble... but being drunk is the universal excuse for non-standard behavior, so much so that it seems to almost be a ritual (that IMO keeps them from exploding in sheer frustration).

But in America, most people just use it as an excuse to be a jackass, a dick, or indulge in some bimbo-scapades....

There is substantial evidence that a few ounces a day is beneficial, especially red wine. If you have circulation issues, any will do. That's not an excuse. Big difference. Even so, I would say I consume two average bottles of wine a year... if that. Sadly, not enough to benefit from.

I'm sure it does sir. But I actually had someone else in mind when I wrote that. There is a difference between a glass of red wine and a fifth of cheap whiskey. Which my grandfather drank. For medicinal purposes, of course. ;)

Sure enough, at 97 that rotgut killed him deader than hell.

I think there is an element of loosening inhibitions in excessive drink... but I think the real central issue is that a lot of people get drunk in order to give themselves an EXCUSE to behave in the manner they really wanted to anyway.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!

EXACTLY.... thank you!!!!

I'm sure it does sir. But I actually had someone else in mind when I wrote that. There is a difference between a glass of red wine and a fifth of cheap whiskey. Which my grandfather drank. For medicinal purposes, of course. ;)

That's too funny! My father always called his Beam and Jack "medicine".

He never drank a fifth at a time, both parents were "unwinders" and social drinkers

I drink ... at home. Don't drive drunk, and try not to drink too much at company functions when I'm staying in a hotel... now, when I get back to my room after the function, all bets are off.

Each to their own; do what works for you ; but if you can't show up for work the next day, there's a problem.

Reminds me of an older relative... she was mid-90s ... every day she had to have her "cocktail"... somehow, we didn't think THAT was what was going to kill her!

That's too funny! My father always called his Beam and Jack "medicine".

He never drank a fifth at a time, both parents were "unwinders" and social drinkers

Ironically, I never once witnessed my grandfather take a sip. But he drank at least 2-3 bottles of Old Forester a week.

I never knew my own father ever had a drink in his life until I came home on leave one summer. Come to find out the ol' coot had his "hot tottie" nightly for over 30 years.

I drink ... at home. Don't drive drunk, and try not to drink too much at company functions when I'm staying in a hotel... now, when I get back to my room after the function, all bets are off.

Each to their own; do what works for you ; but if you can't show up for work the next day, there's a problem.

It boils down to responsibility. That threshold varies from person to person. One must know one's limits or something very good can quickly turn very bad. There is no room for error. Mr. Good Judgement can NEVER get drunk.

Ironically, I never once witnessed my grandfather take a sip. But he drank at least 2-3 bottles of Old Forester a week.

I never knew my own father ever had a drink in his life until I came home on leave one summer. Come to find out the ol' coot had his "hot tottie" nightly for over 30 years.

I knew my parents drank; no secret. But imagine my surprise... I had picked up tequila during a college vacation; had friends over, did margaritas. Went back to school; next time home - found out my dad had been drinking my tequila! yes, in a total disruption of social norms, my DAD stole MY liquor instead of the other way around!

ok, he had raised me all those years and was helping with college..couldn't complain too much.... but thought that was funny.

Let's see how quickly this thread dies...

No, I don't have a drinking problem... I have a problem with people who drink past the point of light enjoyment or for health benefits. Here is my problem... Drinking past this point turns every person I've ever known (or not known) into idiots. Considering the dumbed down state of our citizenry already... do we really need idiots acting even more idiotic than normal?

I'm so tired of hearing the excuse "I'm sorry, I was drunk at the time". Now, I don't hang out with folks that need to say that, but just relating it to news stories, sit-coms, entertainers... forum posters... etc.

Disclosure: As a rule, I don't drink aside from an occasional glass of wine for the ol' ticker.

Anyone else share this view?

Anyone have a reason why drinking to excess is acceptable?

Then dont hangout with drinkers.
I have never understood why people crab about what other do, that they dont have to be around.

Is it really fun to get drunk?
If it were your child getting drunk, how would you feel?

Back
Top Bottom