• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Confession: I have a problem with drinking...

Occam's Razor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Let's see how quickly this thread dies...

No, I don't have a drinking problem... I have a problem with people who drink past the point of light enjoyment or for health benefits. Here is my problem... Drinking past this point turns every person I've ever known (or not known) into idiots. Considering the dumbed down state of our citizenry already... do we really need idiots acting even more idiotic than normal?

I'm so tired of hearing the excuse "I'm sorry, I was drunk at the time". Now, I don't hang out with folks that need to say that, but just relating it to news stories, sit-coms, entertainers... forum posters... etc.

Disclosure: As a rule, I don't drink aside from an occasional glass of wine for the ol' ticker.

Anyone else share this view?

Anyone have a reason why drinking to excess is acceptable?

I have a problem with binge drinking. So I don't drink at all unless there is company over. Having a few beers on my nights off almost always leads to drinking about 8 beers or so. So I don't have a few on my nights off, unless friends are over.

For some reason, stopping after 4 or so is MUCH easier with company.

No, I don't have a drinking problem... I have a problem with people who drink past the point of light enjoyment or for health benefits. Here is my problem... Drinking past this point turns every person I've ever known (or not known) into idiots. Considering the dumbed down state of our citizenry already... do we really need idiots acting even more idiotic than normal?

I'm so tired of hearing the excuse "I'm sorry, I was drunk at the time". Now, I don't hang out with folks that need to say that, but just relating it to news stories, sit-coms, entertainers... forum posters... etc.

Disclosure: As a rule, I don't drink aside from an occasional glass of wine for the ol' ticker.

Yes, I have a reason why it's acceptable. If it doesn't hurt anyone else? It's acceptable.

While it's the worst fate in the world to be the only sober person at the party, those at the party are having a good time. It lowers inhibitions and alters one's state of consciousness. And, unless someone's an ugly drunk, the only one paying the price is the imbiber...the next day.

Nasty drunks and drunk drivers need not apply.

Edit: Oh, and pukers. No pukers allowed either.

Last edited:

As long as they are a fun drunk, I don't care. If they are a weepy, needy drunk, trip them down a flight of stairs and hope they break a jaw or a neck or something.

Let's just have the government regulate how high we can be. Maybe if you're a good liberal they'll put you on the judging committee. :mrgreen:

For the record, people tell me I'm an awesome drunk, lol. Even my wife thinks I'm hilarious. I guess it's because booze removes all filtering action between the old noodle and my mouth.

Let's just have the government regulate how high we can be. Maybe if you're a good liberal they'll put you on the judging committee. :mrgreen:

Sorry, but this is retarded. It's not a right or left issue. Step down from the soap box for a minute for god's sake. If you choose to be an idiot, be an idiot as long as it doesn't hurt others. I just have a personal intolerance for idiocy, induced or otherwise. No gov't involvement required. If you have no self control, that's your problem alone.

Having lost about 5 years worth of memories to drinking I can understand your position. It's no fun being sober and trying to deal with someone who can hardly stand up.

I don't mind a cocktail or two from time to time but at this point I'm much more inclined toward quality rather than quantity.

Although I can understand your view, there is a wide array of reasons why people drink to excess. Some do it to drown their sorrows, or combat their anxieties and/or depression. Some drink excessively just because they like to lose some of their inhibitions that they have in a sober state of mind. Some people drink just because they like to have a light buzz, and de-stress a little at the end of a work day. As for my judging them, as long as they aren't harming someone else in the process, I'm pretty inclined to keep my personal opinions to myself. We all have our coping mechanisms.

As long as it isn't hurting anyone else....

What is that threshold? Physically injured? Emotionally injured? Annoying nuisance? Embarrassment?

We recently had a storm rip apart our neighborhood... in about 4.5 minutes flat. Happened around midnight. Of course the neighbors all came out and assed the damage, made sure everyone was alright.. but that's about all we could do until morning, and after a short while, all returned to their darkened homes. Two of the neighbors were nurses that stated they had to be at work in four hours and needed their sleep.

About an hour and a half later another neighbor arrives home from the bar (thankfully driven by someone else), sees the damage and begins yelling at the top of his lungs about how inept the city was for not cutting down the tree that was now blocking his driveway... and the street. This went on for about ten minutes... No question that he had woken anyone not dead, including the nurses. Now, he didn't "hurt" any of them... but is this okay?

What if those sleep deprived ER folks, dealing with trauma from the storm, patients thrown into crisis due to lost power (oxy dependent, etc) risked not getting the proper care.. would you ever know harm was done? Or potentially done? Drunks rarely realize that there may be far ranging effects on others they simply can't comprehend.... but hey.... IT'S FUN! Right?

I enjoy an adult beverage more then I should. Whether I'm drinking away my feelings or out with a co-worker. I work 50-60 hours a week, cutting loose on the weekends actually helps me to perform better M-F. @Occam's Razor, google your own name in regards to such a convoluted hypothesis.

Sorry, but this is retarded. It's not a right or left issue. Step down from the soap box for a minute for god's sake. If you choose to be an idiot, be an idiot as long as it doesn't hurt others. I just have a personal intolerance for idiocy, induced or otherwise. No gov't involvement required. If you have no self control, that's your problem alone.

Swing and a miss. I don't drink alcohol, at all, and when younger and did I was a cheap drunk more likely to pass out or sit in silence. You must feel something beyond the ordinary about it, otherwise you'd not have started a thread here ranting on about it.

I suppose, since I don't know your gender, you could be just venting and needing us to say, "we understand". In that case, "I understand".

Oh, I don't know.

I really couldn't care less if a person chooses to drink in excess, as long as they are responsible about it - not alcoholic, no drunk driving, etc...

Personally, I did my time hanging with various party crowds. I've long outgrown that and while I will have a few drinks on occasion, and MAY get a buzz (I'm a lightweight any more) I don't care to be around what I would call "drunks".

Whether they are happy go lucky drunks or poor me drunks....or violent assholes drunk, it's annoying and irritating. Most times they make asses out of themselves and it's embarrassing to witness.

I am the kind of person though, that I'm not going to force my personal choices on to someone else.

Live and let live.

Hmmmmmmm...not so sure I would buy this study...for a lot of reasons.

I'm safe though. I was drunk for 25 yrs...and sober that long...so now, I'm just glad to be alive. But based on the study...not sure how that would work with me.

The study is from a peer reviewed journal for scholarly studies on alcoholism. Hardly the kind of place you would expect to find information favoring the consumption of alcohol:

But a new paper in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research suggests that — for reasons that aren't entirely clear — abstaining from alcohol does tend to increase one's risk of dying, even when you exclude former problem drinkers. The most shocking part? Abstainers' mortality rates are higher than those of heavy drinkers.

Sorry, your anecdotal story doesn't square with hard research. And this isn't the first study to come to this conclusion.

Live and let live, as long as they are not driving or in public making an ass of themselves, who cares.

I had my days of heavy drinking. Those are long long gone. It's pretty rare now to even have a beer, but when I do it's not the crap American beer, and it is for the enjoyment of the flavor. So I understand just having an occasional drink for the joy of the flavor (whatever it be), and I understand those that are still young out of control, or old and just alcoholics.

The study is from a peer reviewed journal for scholarly studies on alcoholism. Hardly the kind of place you would expect to find information favoring the consumption of alcohol:

Sorry, your anecdotal story doesn't square with hard research. And this isn't the first study to come to this conclusion.

There was recent studies that shows alcohol to be a fairly serious human carcinogen, even in very small quantities. I'll have to find the study, but it was fairly recent.

Oh, Dezaad...I bet alcohol related vehicle deaths are way more than Dr. Pepper or the like related deaths.... ;)

I can it being "red eyed" drunk. That is beyond being drunk. A person's eyes turns almost fiery red - and that person is essentially insane - and dangerously so to everyone including him/herself. There is no rationality level, only raw confused emotional responses and action at the basest level of humanity. "I was drunk" or "on drugs" is no excuse for anything unless the person was literally deceptively drugged.

That would be an extremely difficult case - it proven someone was drugged with LSD without the person knowing, and under that influence that person killed and assaulted people. Guilty? Not guilty by reason of temporary insanity beyond the person's control? Is that a clever air-tight defense? Or no excuse at all?

There was recent studies that shows alcohol to be a fairly serious human carcinogen, even in very small quantities. I'll have to find the study, but it was fairly recent.

This study encompasses any such risks, so even if your information is correct, people who drink still live longer than those who do not. Period.

Oh, Dezaad...I bet alcohol related vehicle deaths are way more than Dr. Pepper or the like related deaths.... ;)

This doesn't happen often enough to mitigate the fact that people who consume alcohol live longer than those who don't.

I fairly often would get drunk, never red-eyed drunk, never on the job and certainly wouldn't drive.

Alcohol is perceived by the human body to be a poison, whereupon it attempts to flush the toxin out. While doing so, it flushes out many other toxins. People who do not consume alcohol do not experience this periodic flushing and toxins tend to build up in their bodies........................

Back
Top Bottom