• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Confederate Flag

nefarious_plot said:
How about we leave the Confederate flag and you stay out of the south.

I think you should be the one charged with keeping me out then .... :2razz:

But since no flag seems to represent you, maybe you should find another place to be righteous and rebellious

But since no flag seems to represent you, maybe you should find another place to be righteous and rebellious[/QUOTE]

How very American of You . Throw out whom dont agree with you. Perhaps North Korea or Iraq is more to you liking. Its not supposed to work that way in America.

HTColeman said:
percentage, statistic, number of black troops, something?

http://www.sterlingprice145.org/blackconfed.htm

"It has been estimated that over 65,000 Southern blacks were in the Confederate ranks. Over 13,000 of these, “saw the elephant” also known as meeting the enemy in combat. These Black Confederates included both slave and free. The Confederate Congress did not approve blacks to be officially enlisted as soldiers (except as musicians), until late in the war. But in the ranks it was a different story. Many Confederate officers did not obey the mandates of politicians, they frequently enlisted blacks with the simple criteria, “Will you fight?” Historian Ervin Jordan, explains that “biracial units” were frequently organized “by local Confederate and State militia Commanders in response to immediate threats in the form of Union raids…”. Dr. Leonard Haynes, a African-American professor at Southern University, stated, “When you eliminate the black Confederate soldier, you’ve eliminated the history of the South.”

nefarious_plot said:
But since no flag seems to represent you, maybe you should find another place to be righteous and rebellious

How very American of You . Throw out whom dont agree with you. Perhaps North Korea or Iraq is more to you liking. Its not supposed to work that way in America.[/QUOTE]

No one is throwing you out, just giving you options. Why would you want to live in a country that you don't feel represents you?

nefarious_plot said:

nefarious_plot said:
How very American of You . Throw out whom dont agree with you. Perhaps North Korea or Iraq is more to you liking. Its not supposed to work that way in America.

O well... I think of the amount of people that died and suffered for that flag this country and our ideals. And you sound like you would as soon **** on it then look at it. So my response to you is get the fuk out if you don't like it. Not a hard thing to do. Go elsewhere and find the freedom and oppurtunity tat you find here. Have fun .... don't let the door hit ya were the god lord split ya... If you think thats typical american thats fine. Just do me a favor and think it as your azz is leaving. I am sure those countries you mentioned would love to have someone like that around.

Calm2Chaos said:

O well... I think of the amount of people that died and suffered for that flag this country and our ideals. And you sound like you would as soon **** on it then look at it. So my response to you is get the fuk out if you don't like it. Not a hard thing to do. Go elsewhere and find the freedom and oppurtunity tat you find here. Have fun .... don't let the door hit ya were the god lord split ya... If you think thats typical american thats fine. Just do me a favor and think it as your azz is leaving. I am sure those countries you mentioned would love to have someone like that around.[/QUOTE]

Giving you a very forceful option...

HTColeman said:

No one is throwing you out, just giving you options. Why would you want to live in a country that you don't feel represents you?[/QUOTE]

Your to damm resonable HT.. Ya sure we can't throw him out? Maybe just a little?....LOL

You know what really amazes me, and perhaps someone has drawn this up already, the flag you all are debating over was never the national flag of the confederacy. The "Confederate Flag" was a battle flag, first used by the Army of Northern Virginia (famously commanded by Robert E. Lee). There were three flags that at one time or another were the National Flags of the confederacy.

SBVicks.gif

Used from 1861 to May of 1863

sbr1.gif

May 1863 to March 1865

3natl1.gif

March 1865 until the end of the War (one would think that in March of 1865 the Confederate government had more important things to do than make a new flag).

Though the last two containt the Northern Virginian Battle Flag (which would eventually be adopted by almost all confederate Army units) they are clearly not the flags we think of when one says "Confederate Flag".

NASCAR_dad said:
You know what really amazes me, and perhaps someone has drawn this up already, the flag you all are debating over was never the national flag of the confederacy. The "Confederate Flag" was a battle flag, first used by the Army of Northern Virginia (famously commanded by Robert E. Lee). There were three flags that at one time or another were the National Flags of the confederacy.

SBVicks.gif

Used from 1861 to May of 1863

sbr1.gif

May 1863 to March 1865

3natl1.gif

March 1865 until the end of the War (one would think that in March of 1865 the Confederate government had more important things to do than make a new flag).

Though the last two containt the Northern Virginian Battle Flag (which would eventually be adopted by almost all confederate Army units) they are clearly not the flags we think of when one says "Confederate Flag".

I made that very point

Re: Nazi Flag

26 X World Champs said:
Good point regarding confederate flags. Down South you still see them all the time, they're not necessarily looked down upon despite representing racism.

The whacko logic re confederate flags is that it symbolizes the South. The problem is that the South that it symbolizes were slave owners and bigots and these brilliant people brutalized blacks!

Defending the confederate flag is the same thing as defending racism and segregation.

The confederate flag is a symbol of freedom from tyranny. The belief that the south were the evil slave owners and Lincoln was the liberator is revisionist history at its worst. The Civil war was not about slavery, Lincoln was an outspoken racist and was completely indifferent to it. The war was about the elimination of states right. I should point out that slavery was common in the north.

Last edited:
No one is throwing you out, just giving you options. Why would you want to live in a country that you don't feel represents you?[/QUOTE]

yeah, yeah, Achtung!!!!!!!!

Martyr_Machine said:
The confederate flag is a symbol of freedom from tyranny. The belief that the south were the evil slave owners and Lincoln was the liberator is revisionist history at its worst. The Civil war was not about slavery, Lincoln was an outspoken racist and was completely indifferent to it. The war was about the elimination of states right. I should point out that slavery was common in the north.

Good point, Lincoln at one time said he would've preserved slavery to preserve the Union. Slavery just happened to be one the rights that the Southern States were fighting for, there were others too. To say the Civil War was fought over slavery is a gross over-simplification.

Calm2Chaos, I saw your poit shortly after I posted.

26 X World Champs said:
Good point regarding confederate flags. Down South you still see them all the time, they're not necessarily looked down upon despite representing racism.

Actually, I think that most people in the South do not think terribly highly of people who regularly fly the Confederate Flag. We simply are willing to defend it as an expression of free speech.

26x world champs said:
The whacko logic re confederate flags is that it symbolizes the South. The problem is that the South that it symbolizes were slave owners and bigots and these brilliant people brutalized blacks!

As has surely been pointed out, less than 5% of citizens in the South in 1860 owned slaves. So you are painting 95% of the population with a brush that actually fits only 5%. Isn't that a little bigoted and predjudiced on your part? By the way, I am sure you are aware that your much beloved and often defended home city was the site of a huge race riot following the Emancipation Proclamation in which several blacks were lynched. It seems the enlightened and racially conscious citizens of New York objected to the stream of blacks entering their fair city. New York even proposed secceding itself and becoming an open city, so opposed were they to emancipation.

26x world champs said:
Defending the confederate flag is the same thing as defending racism and segregation.

Would defending the American flag be the same as supporting the genocide of the Native Americans? Would supporting the Christian Church be the same as condoning the inquisition?

Will you ever get tired of worrying about what other free citizens are doing and learn to concentrate on your own life?

"Actually, I think that most people in the South do not think terribly highly of people who regularly fly the Confederate Flag. We simply are willing to defend it as an expression of free speech." Quoted from Walrus

This is because everyone in the South has been taught that the flag is a symbol of racism, segregation and bigotry. The real history of the flag is not taught without the :spin: of the new writers of history. If more Southerners were taught history as it happened and not what makes the North and the government at the time look good, more would be proud of their Southern Heritage.
More people should realize that organizations like the KKK use the United States flag in their teaching of racism and isolation. They switched to the Confederate flag because of the fact that people are taught that it is and was a symbol of racism and want to hop onto the bandwagon of ignorance. It is free publicity and explanation of their goals.

HTColeman said:
???Huh????

Any way you want to word your statemnts and the others. It was thee same as the hilbillys that tell people they are anti-american for not agreeing with war.

nefarious_plot said:
No one is throwing you out, just giving you options. Why would you want to live in a country that you don't feel represents you?

yeah, yeah, Achtung!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Whatever just say it as your leaving my friggin country. You don't **** about what people have sacrificed for you to have the right to sh it on them. If you don't feel represented then get out, go away, skip, bolt, scram, go bitch about another country in another country. Honestly.....If you don't like it leave....:2wave: :2wave: :2wave: :2wave:

nefarious_plot said:
Any way you want to word your statemnts and the others. It was thee same as the hilbillys that tell people they are anti-american for not agreeing with war.

You out there one the line with your sign screaming about how horrible this war and country is? Ya I do believe you are. You would rather give the terrorist something to build on then our own soldiers.:rofl

Martyr_Machine said:
I don't think Lincoln was an outspoken racist. He just cared more about saving the Union than freeing slaves. Maybe you can show me where he said he was for slavery?

As for the bold statement, slavery most definitely was what sparked the war. I honestly have no idea if Lincoln overstepped his bounds, but regardless, the issue was slavery. I'm not saying that was the only reason or even the biggest reason, but you can't deny it was the spark that set off the war.

Fieeing on Ft Sumter Sparked the war. The events that led to that had nothing to do with Slavery. The conflicts surroundung States Rights was the issue.

rudy0908 said:
I don't think Lincoln was an outspoken racist.

I strongly beg to differ...

I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.

I will say that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters and jurors of the Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with the white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they can not so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.

As for the bold statement, slavery most definitely was what sparked the war.

No, it wasnt. Slavery didnt become a issue until half way through the war, when Lincoln found he could use the issue to gain support. The war began when Lincoln stationed military personel on southern land: Fort Sumter.

Martyr_Machine said:
I strongly beg to differ...
OK. Thats why I said "I think...". I wasn't sure.

Martyr_Machine said:
No, it wasnt. Slavery didnt become a issue until half way through the war, when Lincoln found he could use the issue to gain support. The war began when Lincoln stationed military personel on southern land: Fort Sumter.
Thats his right. He's the freakin president, he ruled the north and the south, so he can put the US military anywhere on US lands. What is your point there? That he shouldn't be able to place troops on southern land?

People keep saying it was about states rights. Maybe, but what was the issue that pushed it over the edge? Slavery. Southern states knew that when Lincoln won the election, he would probably (whether in his rights or not) try to impose northern will on southern states on the issue of slavery. It was this single issue that pushed the South over the edge.

Liberals and blacks love to change history.Even if it changes what Lincoln realy intended. The southern states out of frustration and stupidity attempted to overthrow the Republic. Thats what started the war of the Rebellion.
Slavery stayed legal in the Union until the constitution was amended.Lincoln wanted it to die on the vine so to speak.The Union that's what was important ! Now and forever the Federal Union.

Back
Top Bottom