• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Confederate Flag

JOHNYJ said:
the south started the Insurrection for dumb reasons. They held at least 22 seats in the senate and because of seniority had control of many of the machinery of the Congress.Lincoln had no intention of abolishing slavery in the south. Itwas arogance they lead them to treason.

Not to defend what the South did, but politically, their position was untenable. The Republican Party didn't even put Lincoln's name on the ballot in most Southern States, and he STILL won despite the fact that he didn't carry a single Southern State. They also knew that they would NEVER been able to have a majority in either house again because the compromises that kept the balance in the Senate died away in the late 1850s.

"I say ban the flag period. Do we really need to express our southerness by flying a flag with so much controversy associated with it?"

um... YES. if you dont want to stir things up so you find another way to express your pride, so be it... but dont force your personal opinion on others by a law.

im not southern, but ill go ahead and say that people offended at the sight of the confederate battle standard may be a bit in the deep end. it means nothing significant to the person flying it except what he believes it does. and it means nothing significant to the person offended except what he believes it does.

if we want to get into the actual meaning of flags, i believe someone above pointed it out... slavery existed for 4 years in the CSA and several centuries under both the US Flag and under the flags of hte colonies that gave birth to the Union.

so if we ban the confederate flag because of its historical meaning, we need to ban our own flag as well.

i have an American flag in my bedroom. i am saying 'I am proud to be American. Yes, Americans have made mistakes but i remain proud of who i am'

there are many people, particularly in the part of the world i currently reside, who interpret my flag to mean 'i am an evil imperialist infedel and i hate everyone'

but guesse what? i still fly it. and its still flying high and proud on a pole outside my embassy despite the meaning some choose to attribute to it.

proud to be southern? fly your flag.
proud to be mexican? fly your flag.
and so on.

dont like southerners? to bad.
dont like mexicans? to bad.
and so on.

earthpig said:
"I say ban the flag period. Do we really need to express our southerness by flying a flag with so much controversy associated with it?"

um... YES. if you dont want to stir things up so you find another way to express your pride, so be it... but dont force your personal opinion on others by a law.

im not southern, but ill go ahead and say that people offended at the sight of the confederate battle standard may be a bit in the deep end. it means nothing significant to the person flying it except what he believes it does. and it means nothing significant to the person offended except what he believes it does.

if we want to get into the actual meaning of flags, i believe someone above pointed it out... slavery existed for 4 years in the CSA and several centuries under both the US Flag and under the flags of hte colonies that gave birth to the Union.

so if we ban the confederate flag because of its historical meaning, we need to ban our own flag as well.

i have an American flag in my bedroom. i am saying 'I am proud to be American. Yes, Americans have made mistakes but i remain proud of who i am'

there are many people, particularly in the part of the world i currently reside, who interpret my flag to mean 'i am an evil imperialist infedel and i hate everyone'

but guesse what? i still fly it. and its still flying high and proud on a pole outside my embassy despite the meaning some choose to attribute to it.

and so on.

and so on.

We call it "Freedom of Expression". You can fly your Nazi flag, your Soviet Union flag, I just wouldn't recommend it.

Duke

Re: Nazi Flag

if people can burn the American flag under the right to free speech, then people have the same right to fly the Confederate flag.

Its that simple.

Re: Nazi Flag

M14 Shooter said:
if people can burn the American flag under the right to free speech, then people have the same right to fly the Confederate flag.

Its that simple.

No, it is the freedom of expression act, which encompasses both.

Duke

earthpig said:

I agree that you should be able to wave the flag if you want to, but I disagree that it means whatever you believe it means, it is a symbol. Fact of the matter is, the flag was created to symbolize a nation of states who believed in their right to secede in order to preserve their slavery based economy.

The American flag was created to symbolize freedom, liberty, blasé, blasé. It was to represent the 50 states that wanted a free country with 'free' citizens. It has alot of history of oppression under that flag, but you can't simply look at that, in history that oppression (slavery for instance) did not last it led to freedom (civil rights), so the American flag still stands for freedom. The Confederate flag, was created to represent the slave states, if it had some other history behind it in the south, it might mean something more, but it has no other history.

This is exactly what I am talking about, you can fly the American flag, but you at least admit that others might be offended by it. Also, lets say there was a world gov't capitol and all the countries were states of this world gov't would it be fair to post an American flag on this world building? That is my point, you can fly your confederate flag, but don't put it in the gov't, including state flags.

and so on.

and so on.

Also, a great majority of the black population live in the region called the deep south (Georgia, Mississippi, etc.). They are a large part of 'the south' but the Confederate flag does not at all represent them, so how can it represent 'the south'?

The southern states did not secede because of the slavery issue. It was a minor point in the reason that the secession took place. But it is the main point that everyone in the north wants to focus on. Remember that Lincoln, that so-called great american said if he could keep slavery and the union together, he would.
He instead violated the states rights to secede. It was a loose coalition, after all, not a true contract. The southern states seceded over economic reasons, nothing more.
The trade was already dying out in the south, in spite of what bullsh!t you are trying to sling. The Underground Railroad was one of the many that were helping slaves to go free, and most of the people didn't really care.
The southern flag does not represent slave states as you constantly point out. It represented states that believe their rights take precedence over the Federal government.
The Civil war was the death knell for states rights. Slavery was merely the mask that the north used to cause the war to occur.

images

Southern man don't need him around anyhow.....
*********************Lynyrd Skynyrd

Captain America said:
images

Southern man don't need him around anyhow.....
*********************Lynyrd Skynyrd

LOLOL....;)

Blue Collar Joe said:
The southern states did not secede because of the slavery issue. It was a minor point in the reason that the secession took place. But it is the main point that everyone in the north wants to focus on. Remember that Lincoln, that so-called great american said if he could keep slavery and the union together, he would.

So Abraham Lincoln was not a saint or any kind of saviour, the man was crazy. What is your point? I have said nothing about Lincoln.

He instead violated the states rights to secede. It was a loose coalition, after all, not a true contract. The southern states seceded over economic reasons, nothing more.

And what was the southern economy? It was based on cash crops, which would not be possible without slave labor, the southern economy was dependent on slave labor, and that was what was at stake.

The trade was already dying out in the south, in spite of what bullsh!t you are trying to sling. The Underground Railroad was one of the many that were helping slaves to go free, and most of the people didn't really care.

Exactly, it was dying out in the south, and southern gov't knew that as slavery died out, so would their economy. So they decided to secede.

The southern flag does not represent slave states as you constantly point out. It represented states that believe their rights take precedence over the Federal government.
The Civil war was the death knell for states rights. Slavery was merely the mask that the north used to cause the war to occur

You are absolutely right, they firmly believed in their right in slavery as the backbone of their economy, and the confederate flag represents their fight for that belief.

Back
Top Bottom