• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Confederate Flag or Kneeling During the Anthem- Which is more disrespectful

Which is more disrespectful to the US?

• Kneeling during the National Anthem

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • The Confederate Flag

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Both

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters

iliveonramen

Pontificator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
I'm posting a poll, which do you think is more disrespectful to the United States, waving the flag of the Confederacy or kneeling during the National Anthem?

I think that it's an interesting question. I'm not sure how you don't answer neither or both depending on your viewpoint

I'm posting a poll, which do you think is more disrespectful to the United States, waving the flag of the Confederacy or kneeling during the National Anthem?

Kneeling before the Confederate flag

Here's a good opertunity though....

I would actually also find it inappropriate for a nfl player to wave a confederate flag around while during the national anthem... and I think they also would liable to be fired.... it has nothing to do with free speech... it's doing whatever inappropriate actions while you are at work.

Both are a statement of free speech, that we as individuals do not like one or the other
display, really does not matter as free speech is not about popular speech.

Neither. It's called freedom. Now if the NFL wants to take action, I fully support that as well.

Re: Confederate Flag or Kneeling During the Anthem- Which is more disrespectfulti

Both are a statement of free speech, that we as individuals do not like one or the other
display, really does not matter as free speech is not about popular speech.

The 1A is about a government imposed restriction of free speech and not workplace rules limiting it or other private citizens objecting to it. Even the federal government imposes restrictions on the political speech of its employees.

I think that it's an interesting question. I'm not sure how you don't answer neither or both depending on your viewpoint

Definitely celebrating the Confederate flag is much more disrespectful to the US.

Re: Confederate Flag or Kneeling During the Anthem- Which is more disrespectfulti

The 1A is about a government imposed restriction of free speech and not workplace rules limiting it or other private citizens objecting to it. Even the federal government imposes restrictions on the political speech of its employees.
Fair enough! I was thinking about it only as free speech, but your employer does have a right to limit your actions int he work place.

As far as I had understood, the aim of the kneeling was disrespect, while the confederate flag waving has always seemed to be sentimental nostalgia.

While there are some that view the confederate flag as a symbol of racism due to it's past and they believe the "South will rise again" nonsense. Living in Mississippi, the majority that own or have a confederate flag do so under different circumstances. It has become more of a symbol of southern pride and a regional flag about culture rather than that of racism and the confederacy. I know many people that were flat out sickened to see people carrying the Rebel flag next to a Nazi flag in Charlottesville. Symbols and words carry different meaning to different people over the course of time.

Edit: So my answer largely depends on the context behind why they are doing it. The Nazis in Charlottesville for example
Would be a case of disrespect, a southerner who displays one on the back of his truck is likely not.

Last edited:
I don't think either are inherently disrespectful.

As far as I had understood, the aim of the kneeling was disrespect, while the confederate flag waving has always seemed to be sentimental nostalgia.

Sentimental nostalgia for a time where African Americans were considered property and thousands of US soldiers and sailors were murdered is not a good thing

While there are some that view the confederate flag as a symbol of racism due to it's past and they believe the "South will rise again" nonsense. Living in Mississippi, the majority that own or have a confederate flag do so under different circumstances. It has become more of a symbol of southern pride and a regional flag about culture rather than that of racism and the confederacy. I know many people that were flat out sickened to see people carrying the Rebel flag next to a Nazi flag in Charlottesville. Symbols and words carry different meaning to different people over the course of time.

Edit: So my answer largely depends on the context behind why they are doing it. The Nazis in Charlottesville for example
Would be a case of disrespect, a southerner who displays one on the back of his truck is likely not.

Why? The rebel and Nazi flags have been flown together for decades. This is not a new phenomena.

Don't see how killing US soldiers can be seen as anything to take pride in

It depends on when and where either is happening. If you have a confederate flag flying at your own home, or covering the window in your single-wide, so be it. Completely your choice. If you take a knee to protest, whatever in a park, or during a protest, great. But if you do either at somewhere that people have paid money to see a sporting event or show, then you are risking the customer getting upset and not returning. Time and place for everything.

I don't find kneeling during the Anthem disrespectful at all. The confederate flag is disrespectful, but I think the people waving it around usually don't intend it to be.

Why? The rebel and Nazi flags have been flown together for decades. This is not a new phenomena.

So if flag A is flown next to flag B, which lets say flag b is bad, does that mean flag a is now automatically bad in all context?

So if flag A is flown next to flag B, which lets say flag b is bad, does that mean flag a is now automatically bad in all context?

Flag A and Flag B would not be flown together if there was not a commonality in cause and purpose between the groups the two flags represent.

And considering how bad Flag A even is by itself..... yes.

Flag A and Flag B would not be flown together if there was not a commonality in cause and purpose between the groups the two flags represent.

And considering how bad Flag A even is by itself..... yes.

Ok cool....

Therefore, when you see black clad antifa terrorist thugs fighting shoulder to shoulder with people in thier ranks flying the hammer and sickle, you then agree that antifa support people who are as bad or worse than the nazis.

Let me put it together.

You will see the hammer and sickle next to gay pride flags under antifa banners, by your logic, gay pride is now as bad as stalinist soviet era communists.

See how that doesn't work?

You see what the flag represented in the past rather than what many feel it represents now. Similar to the word "Liberal", it has a far different meaning now than it did in the past. The majority of those that use the Rebel flag as a symbol of southern culture do not take pride in the killing of US soldiers, in fact most of the people I know that carry or display the flag are extremely patriotic and in many cases US soldiers themselves.

Ok cool....

Therefore, when you see black clad antifa terrorist thugs fighting shoulder to shoulder with people in thier ranks flying the hammer and sickle, you then agree that antifa support people who are as bad or worse than the nazis.

Let me put it together.

You will see the hammer and sickle next to gay pride flags under antifa banners, by your logic, gay pride is now as bad as stalinist soviet era communists.

See how that doesn't work?

I really do hate to break it to you, but I have never said anything complimentary about communists. They manage to be slightly better than fascists, but only by a very narrow margin.

Only problem is that gay pride never murdered any US troops, and both the "CSA" and Nazi Germany did so.

I have a confederate flag with a long history enclosed in glass on my living room wall. So the flag doesn't bother me. Kneeling as Kap did last year didn't bother me neither. I thought the football field was the wrong place for a protest, but he had every right. Most fans go to football games or watch on TV to get away from the reality of life for a couple of hours. Especially to get away from today's divisive politics. Now it seems one can't get a couple of hours relaxation in the fantasy world of sports without politics and divisiveness poking it ugly head into it.

It'll be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

You see what the flag represented in the past rather than what many feel it represents now. Similar to the word "Liberal", it has a far different meaning now than it did in the past. The majority of those that use the Rebel flag as a symbol of southern culture do not take pride in the killing of US soldiers, in fact most of the people I know that carry or display the flag are extremely patriotic and in many cases US soldiers themselves.

Which is rather ironic given that it is the symbol of a traitorous "nation" which fought to continue owning other human beings. Just like any other enemy of the US, Americans should not be flying it's flag. To do so spits on the soldiers and sailors who died to stop such a "nation" from coming about.

From an outsider, I cannot for the life of me understand how Americans are now dragging issues related to patriotism, your country and your heritage, into these sorts of argument. Surely it sits above such matters :roll:

Back
Top Bottom