• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Concerning Long Distance Relationships.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
In your own Opinion and or experience. Do Long distance relationships work? Besides Communication being key. What keeps people who are apart, together with one another. If they are not married and or a significant other that lives with someone?

In developing a relationship wherein such has come about. Is seeing each other a couple times out of year enough to keep the relationship going? Should contact with each other be a daily thing while being apart. Meaning should it be important to both involved to want or look to be in contact with each other daily? If both are totally into one another.....would this be like a first thought upon their mind? What other concerns would you think of first hand or Right off the top?

In todays day and age. Who would have a more difficult time with long distance relationships. Men, Women, Old or young? That would be generally speaking and not some specific cases or circumstances, and not to say that it doesn't affect everyone who is involved in a long distance relationship.

Another question would be if your closest friend is or was in one.....what was your take on it. If things got serious enough that both were talking of a life together. Would you encourage this.....if you knew your friend or family member would move away?

Here is a bit of info I found on it. ;)

Do Long Distance Relationships Work?
The central question that is posed in front of many couples today as they give top priority to their careers, is whether long distance relationships can be made to work. Here's a practical take on the whole matter.

Many couples today are not sure whether they can make a long distance relationship work. Personally, I think that its working or not working depends on how much each one of the two in the relationship believes in making it work. Personally, I have seen them working in some cases and failing in others. What are the factors that make a long distance relationship work? Does distance make the hearts grow fonder or go apart? What can be done to sustain that flame of love and not let distance extinguish it? How to make a long distance relationship work? Let us try to find an answer to these questions in this article.

Can Long Distance relationships Work in Reality?

People meet, fall in love, get married and live happily ever after. It is supposed to be that simple and straightforward right? The truth is, it's never that simple, as each one of us who has been in a relationship realizes, in the course of time. There are priorities in life which keep changing with new experiences and even people change with changing times. One always arrives at crossroads where one must choose between his/her career or a relationship. Those who choose the former, need to inevitably go through a period of long distance relationship, which is the real test of their love and patience. Here is a frank analysis of what can make long distance relationships go a long way.

To summarize, if both believe in a future together, these relationships can sustain themselves, as long as the period of separation is not too long. That is, long enough to make the hearts grow fonder and short enough to be bearable!

Read more at Buzzle: Do Long Distance Relationships Work?

Long distance relationships are all the hassle of a relationship, with none of the sex.

Long distance? man disguise as lady and lady disguise as man.

Long distance? man disguise as lady and lady disguise as man.

Hows that.....if one's work sends them across the country or if they have met?

Hows that.....if one's work sends them across the country or if they have met?

If they have met before then it's ok. Most long distance never met in real life. But long distance relationship can be hard.

In your own Opinion and or experience. Do Long distance relationships work? Besides Communication being key. What keeps people who are apart, together with one another. If they are not married and or a significant other that lives with someone?

In developing a relationship wherein such has come about. Is seeing each other a couple times out of year enough to keep the relationship going? Should contact with each other be a daily thing while being apart. Meaning should it be important to both involved to want or look to be in contact with each other daily? If both are totally into one another.....would this be like a first thought upon their mind? What other concerns would you think of first hand or Right off the top?

In todays day and age. Who would have a more difficult time with long distance relationships. Men, Women, Old or young? That would be generally speaking and not some specific cases or circumstances, and not to say that it doesn't affect everyone who is involved in a long distance relationship.

Another question would be if your closest friend is or was in one.....what was your take on it. If things got serious enough that both were talking of a life together. Would you encourage this.....if you knew your friend or family member would move away?

Personally, I would never get involved in a long-distance relationship. There's no upside, in my opinion. As a rule, they don't work out, so I'd consider it a time-waster and likely to bring a great deal of drama into my life.

I've known married couples who, for various reasons, have had to have long-distance relationships for some length of time. I'm not sure what the statistics are for those, but, with a 50% divorce rate taking all relationships into account, I think it's a fair bet that long distance ones (for a period longer than six months or a year) have a higher failure rate than that.

The whole idea of a relationship in the first place is to have a life partner. Skyping just isn't the same.

Personally, I would never get involved in a long-distance relationship. There's no upside, in my opinion. As a rule, they don't work out, so I'd consider it a time-waster and likely to bring a great deal of drama into my life.

I've known married couples who, for various reasons, have had to have long-distance relationships for some length of time. I'm not sure what the statistics are for those, but, with a 50% divorce rate taking all relationships into account, I think it's a fair bet that long distance ones (for a period longer than six months or a year) have a higher failure rate than that.

The whole idea of a relationship in the first place is to have a life partner. Skyping just isn't the same.

Heya Maggie.
hat.gif
What about those in the Military or Government? That get separated.

Heya Maggie.
hat.gif
What about those in the Military or Government? That get separated.

Well, in my opinion, those are the split relationships that would have the highest probability of all to succeed.

Nonmarrieds away at different colleges? Hardly a snowball's chance. Nonmarrieds (and marrieds) with different career paths? Nah, ain't happenin' most of the time.

Out of sight, out of mind? it really does depend on the relationship, doesn't it? but it's a strain ... after all, why are we in relationships principally? Companionship, no (and, yes, that includes the sex)? So, if you can't experience the main reason you're together, then what's the point, no? But if you have a solid relationship and you know how long you're going to be apart, and you have family and friends, it can and often does work ...

Well, in my opinion, those are the split relationships that would have the highest probability of all to succeed.

Nonmarrieds away at different colleges? Hardly a snowball's chance. Nonmarrieds (and marrieds) with different career paths? Nah, ain't happenin' most of the time.

Not that I am disagreeing with ya Mags.....what about nowadays with seniors? Retirees, Widows and widowers? Would you think there is a difference today? While I was getting older. I never recall or heard of Seniors and Older People out dating. Not like I do today. Seems there are way more into it than I would have thought.

Some have lived whole lives with another. Yet find themselves alone. For whatever reasons. Which is why I put up about the ages too. To me younger people would have a harder time with such a relationship.

I think it depends on the circumstances. If there is no set plan for it not to be a long distance relationship and could continue as such in perpetuity, then I wouldn't put in the time.

I think it depends on the circumstances. If there is no set plan for it not to be a long distance relationship and could continue as such in perpetuity, then I wouldn't put in the time.

Yeah, I would agree with you there Fisher. Or if neither sees any end.

Out of sight, out of mind? it really does depend on the relationship, doesn't it? but it's a strain ... after all, why are we in relationships principally? Companionship, no (and, yes, that includes the sex)? So, if you can't experience the main reason you're together, then what's the point, no? But if you have a solid relationship and you know how long you're going to be apart, and you have family and friends, it can and often does work ...

Heya WD. :2wave: Yeah.....I would think that at the first sign that one doesn't think the other isn't interested or doesn't seem to show they are. Would pretty much be the end of it. Just like it would normally. If people were dating or getting into a relationship living near one another. Once contact starts to fade or if one side is the only side putting it in to anything. Then it would run its course and end.

Most young adults are out and about. Clubbing and going out all the time. That's another reason I wouldn't think it works for them or would even have a higher rate of failure.

if that relationship is the one built on love and trust ,it works l believe

Back
Top Bottom