• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Concealed Carry Question

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Illinois now has concealed carry.

What happens if my gun shows? Like, if I bend a certain way or something and someone sees that I'm carrying a gun. What happens?

What happens if my gun shows? Like, if I bend a certain way or something and someone sees that I'm carrying a gun. What happens?

Depends on the exact wording of the law, which I do not have in front of me.

F'rinstance, in my home state concealed means "covered". In other words the gun can be obvious as hell but if it is covered with something other than the holster so that no part of the gun itself is showing, then it is considered "concealed".

However, not all states go by that standard. I'd have to see the text of the law to have any idea what the Illi standard will be, or what the punishment for improper exposure might be.

buy the Kel-tec .380 I mentioned in the other thread, then stick it in your pocket and go. You won't have to worry about bending over and crap like that.

Do practice drawing from the pocket though... it is a specific skill. (practice with the gun UNLOADED until you master it!)

I can be had for tips on how this is best done.

You probably need to make sure. Some states have protections against accidentally showing, Illinois may not. They may have standards that make it so it must not be obvious that you have a gun (even if it's covered up). And given Chicago cops, you'll probably want to find this out.

This, BTW, is why I also argue that open carry should be assumed standard as well.

What Goshin said and, of course, who sees it.

The only times I've been outed were with people who know me and also carry. Interestingly enough, that's never happened with family including hugs and whatnot. I've never had anyone in a store or similar situation make any mention......actually, that's not true....I do recall that I was working a volunteer thing lifting boxes and somebody did notice. She told one of my buddies who said something to the effect of "yeah....he always carries" and the issue dropped. I've never had it come up when I was dealing with law enforcement.

Depends on the exact wording of the law, which I do not have in front of me.

F'rinstance, in my home state concealed means "covered". In other words the gun can be obvious as hell but if it is covered with something other than the holster so that no part of the gun itself is showing, then it is considered "concealed".

However, not all states go by that standard. I'd have to see the text of the law to have any idea what the Illi standard will be, or what the punishment for improper exposure might be.

I'm pretty excited. I could get arrested for indecent exposure!!!

Sounds like a bucket list item.

I have no better answer than what you've already gotten and apologies for a bit of a hijack. But your post is the first I'd heard of this and I did some quick googling. I support it but as an ex-Illinoisian, I'm frankly amazed it got passed. Course they didn't have much choice since the concealed carry ban was ruled unconstitutional. Illinois is the LAST state to allow it and the required 16 hours' training is the most of any state. And they're dragging their feet - the statute provides 9 months for full implementation. But at least it's progress.

My review of popular concealed Carry pistols I have at least 100 rounds of experience with

380 Semi Autos

Walther PPK-PP and PPK/s.

a classic design-all steel a bit heavy for the size, easy to conceal, accuracy is pretty good, the slide will abrade large hands. The trigger pull in double action tends to be rather stiff. The German made versions are far smoother than the ones made under License in the USA. The PP and the PPK/s have one more shot and are easier to shoot.

Beretta 84 and 85. These are scaled down versions of the Big beretta 92 military pistol. I have the 13 shot version. The recoil on this gun is far stiffer than you would expect. It carries lots of rounds and is very accurate. Its a bit bigger than most of the otehr 380s

CZ 83-much like the beretta it is a double stack magazine. Its all steel and heavy. Its easy to shoot well, but its more weight and size than many of the more modern micro guns.

SW Bodyguard-this under 400 dollar job is very flat, very easy to conceal and has a built in laser sight. The trigger pull is very long which makes the hard to disengage safety not all that necessary. It feeds everything.

SIG P238--these are single action guns with great triggers. You have to carry them with the hammer cocked and locked. They are extremely accurate and most have night sights. They are expensive-600 or so. My wife's feeds everything-mine tends to prefer Remington Golden Sabers. The recoil on these is rather mild. For an uber concealment auto this is my first choice

9mm

The bigger 9mms that can still be concealed include the 15 shot GLOCK 19,and its smaller cousin the GLOCK 26 (ten shots but you can feed it with the big 17 round full size magazine) . both of these guns are extremely accurate and reliable. figure about 500 or so for each

The SIG P938 is a slightly larger version of their 380. Excellent small 9mm-maybe the best made of the micro 9s. Very accurate

KAHR-the "moonie gun" is a top choice for many cops as backups. They have several versions from Micro 9 to subcompact. They have long heavy trigger pulls with eliminate a need for a manual safety. They ALMOST ALWAYS REQUIRE at least 400 rounds of break in. The PMP-the really small one we own-its a beast in terms of recoil though

SIG 239, this is bigger gun-about the size of the Glock 19 but flatter since its a singe stack magazine. Top of the line, the only argument against it other than price is that you have to deal with that heavy Double action first shot

Beretta NANO. My wife has one and likes it. it kicks more than the SIG 239 or the SW MP Shield. its under 500 dollars. its an interesting smooth design. the accuracy is fairly good

SW Shield-about 425 this is a scaled down version of the MP compact. its a single stack weapon and very easy to conceal. Is what I normally carry when I have a bit more leeway than when I carry the little SIG

SW COmpact-12 round weapon-about the same as the GLock 19. less rounds, It can be bought with a manual safety.

KIMBER SOLO-some early versions had recall issues. Its an expensive very well made gun. My wife got one and prefers the much cheaper Nano. Very accurate, its kick is a bit on the stiff side. the newer ones are extremely reliable

I have not shot the Rugers more than a few times

for the money I would choose the SW SHIELD

for larger guys the Glock 19 has the most firepower. Slightly bigger and you can go with the SIG 229 which is a brilliantly crafted weapon but its $$$. I used to carry one in 40 in bad areas since its kick with the 135 DHS loads was not bad and I can shoot one of those things extremely fast and accurately.

revolvers-one word-smith and wesson

no other brand has as good a double action lockwork as smiths.

I feel a little spoiled, because when I carry I can carry it concealed or in full view for everyone to see. No worries about if someone can see it or not. I love that about Georgia.

It's kind of like covering up your other things that can show when you bend over. You have a plan in place to make sure nothing falls out.

My review of popular concealed Carry pistols I have at least 100 rounds of experience with

380 Semi Autos

Walther PPK-PP and PPK/s.

a classic design-all steel a bit heavy for the size, easy to conceal, accuracy is pretty good, the slide will abrade large hands. The trigger pull in double action tends to be rather stiff. The German made versions are far smoother than the ones made under License in the USA. The PP and the PPK/s have one more shot and are easier to shoot.

Beretta 84 and 85. These are scaled down versions of the Big beretta 92 military pistol. I have the 13 shot version. The recoil on this gun is far stiffer than you would expect. It carries lots of rounds and is very accurate. Its a bit bigger than most of the otehr 380s

CZ 83-much like the beretta it is a double stack magazine. Its all steel and heavy. Its easy to shoot well, but its more weight and size than many of the more modern micro guns.

SW Bodyguard-this under 400 dollar job is very flat, very easy to conceal and has a built in laser sight. The trigger pull is very long which makes the hard to disengage safety not all that necessary. It feeds everything.

SIG P238--these are single action guns with great triggers. You have to carry them with the hammer cocked and locked. They are extremely accurate and most have night sights. They are expensive-600 or so. My wife's feeds everything-mine tends to prefer Remington Golden Sabers. The recoil on these is rather mild. For an uber concealment auto this is my first choice

9mm

The bigger 9mms that can still be concealed include the 15 shot GLOCK 19,and its smaller cousin the GLOCK 26 (ten shots but you can feed it with the big 17 round full size magazine) . both of these guns are extremely accurate and reliable. figure about 500 or so for each

The SIG P938 is a slightly larger version of their 380. Excellent small 9mm-maybe the best made of the micro 9s. Very accurate

KAHR-the "moonie gun" is a top choice for many cops as backups. They have several versions from Micro 9 to subcompact. They have long heavy trigger pulls with eliminate a need for a manual safety. They ALMOST ALWAYS REQUIRE at least 400 rounds of break in. The PMP-the really small one we own-its a beast in terms of recoil though

SIG 239, this is bigger gun-about the size of the Glock 19 but flatter since its a singe stack magazine. Top of the line, the only argument against it other than price is that you have to deal with that heavy Double action first shot

Beretta NANO. My wife has one and likes it. it kicks more than the SIG 239 or the SW MP Shield. its under 500 dollars. its an interesting smooth design. the accuracy is fairly good

SW Shield-about 425 this is a scaled down version of the MP compact. its a single stack weapon and very easy to conceal. Is what I normally carry when I have a bit more leeway than when I carry the little SIG

SW COmpact-12 round weapon-about the same as the GLock 19. less rounds, It can be bought with a manual safety.

KIMBER SOLO-some early versions had recall issues. Its an expensive very well made gun. My wife got one and prefers the much cheaper Nano. Very accurate, its kick is a bit on the stiff side. the newer ones are extremely reliable

I have not shot the Rugers more than a few times

for the money I would choose the SW SHIELD

for larger guys the Glock 19 has the most firepower. Slightly bigger and you can go with the SIG 229 which is a brilliantly crafted weapon but its $$$. I used to carry one in 40 in bad areas since its kick with the 135 DHS loads was not bad and I can shoot one of those things extremely fast and accurately.

revolvers-one word-smith and wesson

no other brand has as good a double action lockwork as smiths.

I should have put this in Maggie's other thread-I wasn't paying attention

My bad

If they see the outline through your clothes its called printing. Other wise concealed means concealed. Do your best to keep it that way and not allow for some cop to get called and read the law the way he feels that day.

I keep mine in a special side arm pocket if my purse, or in the center console of my van. As long as it's covered, it's not a problem where I live.

I believe the law varies from state to state. I would make a call to the sheriff's office (police...whatever) and ask. I say sheriff, since that is where I went to get fingerprinted and file for my actual license.

I carry mine in the front of my pants to make my package look bigger.

That's the whole point of CCW, right? To compensate?

Well, after you shoot your dick off or crush a testicle by sitting down you just might need to compensate.:doh

Interesting. I'm not sure what I'd be "compensating" for, since I have a vagina.

380 Semi Autos...

I know MR makes a micro .380 that's fairly inexpensive and less that a pound empty. Do you have any insight on that?

It is decriminalized in Florida. Accidental exposures are a fear of every carrier...especially when you first start. Try not to touch it often...check it when nobody is around, and be mindful of standing up and sitting down. I have flashed my piece movie theatre before...but nobody was behind me...phew. (That's what he said..sorry lol).

Anyway. You just need to read the law. There will be information on exposure for your state. A lot of times if I "print" I don't even worry. How many guys carry that goofy looking cell phone in a holster? I am glad they do. I now have something to lie about if someone asks what is on my hip. Most people are oblivious. Most cops won't give you crap on supporting the second too.

I know MR makes a micro .380 that's fairly inexpensive and less that a pound empty. Do you have any insight on that?

caffeine has not kicked in

MR?

Interesting. I'm not sure what I'd be "compensating" for, since I have a vagina.

I think he's upset that other people aren't afraid to make their own safety a personal responsiblity rather than outsourcing it to public employees as he does

Well, after you shoot your dick off or crush a testicle by sitting down you just might need to compensate.:doh

Surely you guys/gals have heard the tired old weak argument from anti-gunners about the only reason people want guns is to compensate for small penis?

Surely you guys/gals have heard the tired old weak argument from anti-gunners about the only reason people want guns is to compensate for small penis?

That stuff is just silly pseudoscience. In reality, the desire to own a gun is to compensate for a sense of weakness in some way. It It is a perfectly natural human desire to try to protect oneself, hence fearful, weak people will cling to guns as a safety blanket of sorts. Unfortunately, this typically ends up doing more harm than good. But that is their right.

Usually if its if you have a lifted full size truck.
I usually feel its small people with small narrow minds that are easily scared are the ones with a small penis. They have to make comments like that to compensate for their short comings.

Back
Top Bottom