• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Concealed Carry Question

Well, my state's now offering CC permits. (Last in the nation to allow them, as I understand it.) I want to get one. Can't wait.

Why?? I've never been accosted by anyone. Never had my home robbed. Live in a safe neighborhood, all in all. Don't travel into 'bad' neighborhoods. Etc. Etc. The odds of my needing to carry a gun to save my life or the life of others is slim to none. The only time I said to myself, "I damned well wish I had a gun," was when I was traveling and HAD to stay in a motel in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky as the ONLY overnighter -- no phone service in the rooms; no manager on site; no cell phone signal because of the mountains.

Yet, I can't WAIT!! Woot!! What's that really about, I wonder??
When you travel, be sure to check each state you'll be passing through and make sure your permit is honored in that state. Only 17 states honor the IL permit.

However, now that you can get your resident carry permit, you can also get the Utah permit, which frees up many more states for you.

Carrying a gun in America is like carrying a bible in Iran.

Be sure you do completely conceal even if the law allows you to print, because you aren't allowed to even walk on a sidewalk passing any public park while armed.
There's also a tactical reason not to show, if I'm in a convenience store with loved ones, or any other business at high risk for armed robbery I don't want the assailant to know I'm the one armed, I'm the first person he is either addressing or outright shooting. I'd rather look for a moment of distraction by the assailant to act.

"Carrying a gun in America is like carrying a bible in Iran."

my guess is that is about what you'll find danged near anywhere in the good old US of A these days
my guess is the reactions you'll get will be rather standard, of course I have no idea what you look like
so you might not get the cops called on you especially if you look like a Hell's Angel eh? ;)

When you travel, be sure to check each state you'll be passing through and make sure your permit is honored in that state. Only 17 states honor the IL permit.

However, now that you can get your resident carry permit, you can also get the Utah permit, which frees up many more states for you.

Jerry!!! This is GREAT advice. (About Utah) Thank you so much for this!!

Edit: Darn it! If I read Utah's requirements for nonresident permits, unless your home state has reciprocity with Utah, all bets are off. And Illinois doesn't. *sigh*

Last edited:
I'm currently working in Oklahoma and am building up the nerve to test their new open-carry law.

When I first moved down here I went to open a new bank account. As I was standing in line for the teller I couldn't help but notice that the guy in front of me was wearing an SAA in a full blown cowboy rig. I mean, hell, we were in a damned bank!! Well, that was more than 20 years ago now and I still chuckle when I think about how for a second or two there I was freaked out by witnessing freedom I never knew in action.

The notion of "freedom" folks have is colored by their perception just like Plato suggested a few millennia ago. Some folks, however, find life outside their little cave to be more intense than they like and seek the comfort of what they have always known instead of having to deal with new knowledge that challenges those long held beliefs.

There's also a tactical reason not to show...
I'm on the other side of that issue. If a given punk is even bothering to account for the other people in the store (sometimes gangbangers don't even notice a uniformed cop a couple isles down), I want him to see my gun and know that I can kill him. The Army trained me to carry openly because "show of force" is part of the escalation of force procedure. I guess that's where my position comes from.

Legally you should be able to OC or CC has you see fit.

I'm on the other side of that issue. If a given punk is even bothering to account for the other people in the store (sometimes gangbangers don't even notice a uniformed cop a couple isles down), I want him to see my gun and know that I can kill him. The Army trained me to carry openly because "show of force" is part of the escalation of force procedure. I guess that's where my position comes from.

Legally you should be able to OC or CC has you see fit.
Fair point, most criminals are cowards but I'm thinking to the ones that are smart enough to case a room, those are the ones I worry about. And I agree, OC and CC should be legal unquestionably.

Jerry!!! This is GREAT advice. (About Utah) Thank you so much for this!!

Edit: Darn it! If I read Utah's requirements for nonresident permits, unless your home state has reciprocity with Utah, all bets are off. And Illinois doesn't. *sigh*
Your state does not have to have reciprocity with Utah.

IF your state does have reciprocity with Utah, then you have to give Utah a copy of your resident state permit so that Utah knows that you're not a prohibited person trying to go around your local law and carry in your state when your state doesn't want you to.

Utah will issue a non-resident permit to a resident of any state in the union. Additionally, every state's permit is good in Utah.

53-5-704.
(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:
(i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate
permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency; and
(ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current concealed
firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).....

If you are a resident of a state that has reciprocity or honors a Utah Permit/License you must have a
permit from your state of residence to apply after 5/10/11 and renew after 1/1/12. If you are from a state that
doesn’t issue permit/licenses to carry or does not honor a Utah Permit/License you can apply or renew as in
the past.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf

Last edited:
Ohhhh OK so yer one of them vets that big sis Napolitano was so concerned about ;)

Ain't it a cryin' assed shame that a Veteran has to ponder
whether he's acting in a prudent manner by exercising a supposedly Constitutional right?

2lc8avs.jpg

Your state does not have to have reciprocity with Utah.

IF your state does have reciprocity with Utah, then you have to give Utah a copy of your resident state permit so that Utah knows that you're not a prohibited person trying to go around your local law and carry in your state when your state doesn't want you to.

Utah will issue a non-resident permit to a resident of any state in the union. Additionally, every state's permit is good in Utah.

According to USACarry Illinois does have reciprocity w/ Utah. - Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

According to USACarry Illinois does have reciprocity w/ Utah. - Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry
Utah honors IL because Utah honors everyone, but IL does not honor Utah because IL does not honor anyone.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf
Utah honors all other states Permit/Licenses.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf
Illinois does not honor any other states Permit/License.
So Il residents can carry in Utah, but Utah residents cannot carry in IL. Since it's not a mutual honoring it's not reciprocity, it's only one-way.

Utah honors IL because Utah honors everyone, but IL does not honor Utah because IL does not honor anyone.

So Il residents can carry in Utah, but Utah residents cannot carry in IL. Since it's not a mutual honoring it's not reciprocity, it's only one-way.

Right.....I must have misunderstood what you were discussing.

Thank God.

The last thing we need is hair trigger hillbillies on the El who shoot first when a guy comes up to them to ask them for spare change.

Thank God.

The last thing we need is hair trigger hillbillies on the El who shoot first when a guy comes up to them to ask them for spare change.
Get a lot of hillbillies from CA do ya?

Thank God.

You mean more than you have now? Firearm homicides in Chicago aren't exactly rare.

....just sayin'

So Maggie what kinda popgun did ya get?

Thank God.

Yea, cause you all have worked so hard to keep that gun murder number down to a measly 500 per year. Pffffffft.

Crew cab I bet yer a fun guy to have a beer with 'cept I quit drinkin' in the mid 80's

hah yer 1,000% correct, the solution to the out of control murder rate in Chi-town is to let everyone pack heat.
its easier for the bangers crooks rapists murderers & run of the mill ne'er-do-wells to ply their trade against an unarmed populace

Smaller? hah that reminds when my kid was young
I'd gotten him to shoot really good with the AR-15
then I bought two colt .380's the Government and the Msutang
one day we were out plinking and he was trying to shoot reasonable
groups at 25 yards In Disgust he said:
I'd have a better chance of hitting someone with this thing if I threw it at them!!!

yes son I know, a three inch group with iron sights @ 100 yards with a long gun isn't the same as a peashooter

Smaller? hah that reminds when my kid was young
I'd gotten him to shoot really good with the AR-15
then I bought two colt .380's the Government and the Msutang
one day we were out plinking and he was trying to shoot reasonable
groups at 25 yards In Disgust he said:
I'd have a better chance of hitting someone with this thing if I threw it at them!!!

yes son I know, a three inch group with iron sights @ 100 yards with a long gun isn't the same as a peashooter

My darling handsome AOG!! You'll have more fun if you click "Reply With Quote" when you are addressing someone. That way they get a notification that you did so. ;)

hah it's just that seeing what I JUST typed again seems like such an unnecessary waste of space
I've always had a hate on to the over use of the quote function
besides if my post can't amuse, incite or entertain on its own I should just go back to watchin' TV?

I will have to admit that I do derive an outsized amount of pleasure when someone clicks 'like' on one of my posts
2yuy9af.jpg

Illinois now has concealed carry.

What happens if my gun shows? Like, if I bend a certain way or something and someone sees that I'm carrying a gun. What happens?
If your averagely busty they have holsters that attach to your bra that conceal well and don't take long to draw out off with a little training. That way unless your a flasher there is nothing to worry about it showing.

Back
Top Bottom