• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Computer Woes--Any ideas?

missypea

Mod Apologist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
<insert swear words here>

Windows XP
Firefox Browser
Panda Antivirus Pro

• Defrag has been completed
  • File Error check has been completed
  • Temp internet files have been deleted
  • Windows updates are up-to-date

My Panda scans at each start up. Yesterday it stalled at this file:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SECURITY\PANDA ANTIVIRUS PRO 2010\PavSRU.dll

I did a restart and then it stalled at this file:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SECURITY\PANDA ANTIVIRUS PRO 2010\icl_trf.dll

Today I performed all of the steps in bullets (above).

Now I'm stalling at this file each time I do a restart:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANDA SECURITY\PANDA ANTIVIRUS PRO 2010\PSKHTML.dll

The Panda scan window will not allow me to cancel the scan (it never has allowed me to cancel the scan at startup). All I can do is pause it. It won't shrink down. It won't X out.

Oh, I also tried a system restore. The computer was unable to do a system restore for the date I chose. I chose a different date. The computer was unable to do a system restore for that date also.

Panda Support has been useless.

Is there someone on the forum who might be able to give me some suggestions?

Please

:(

Last edited:
if you can, try uninstalling panda through add and remove programs in the control panel. beyond that i can't help :(

I am not a computer expert, so take this for what it is worth. I did a google search which led me to a thread on the Panda forums. I found this thread: Panda Security Forum • View topic - panda cannot complete scan. For the most part, the info is unrelated, but it does contain the procedure to not scan certain directories, so as a temporary workaround you could exclude scanning that directory, and post at the Panda forums with the problem and hope to get hope. Here is the procedure, noting that you would have to change the directory referred to to the one you are having trouble with:

To exclude these folders follow these steps:
1.- Open the antivirus and go to protection settings
2.- Select Known threats in the left column and click over settings in the section "Threats to detect and exclude"
3.- Go to the "Directories" tab and click on Add
4.- Select the folder to exclude c:\system volume information (is a hidden system folder) and click the > button
5.- Accept the settings
6.- Do the same in the Scan tab settings

Download Revo Uninstaller (Revo Uninstaller - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com). Uninstall Panda and reboot. Then download AVG Free (AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com), reboot on prompt and run a full scan after reboot. AVG is the best free anti-virus protection out there. Once the scan is complete, download and install Malware Bytes (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com). It says it is a program you have to buy, but it works as a free program. You simply have to update it yourself and run it manually. If you pay for it, it will update regularly and you can schedule scans, but it's really not worth the money.

This should take care of everything that is causing you problems.

I am not a computer expert, so take this for what it is worth. I did a google search which led me to a thread on the Panda forums. I found this thread: Panda Security Forum • View topic - panda cannot complete scan. For the most part, the info is unrelated, but it does contain the procedure to not scan certain directories, so as a temporary workaround you could exclude scanning that directory, and post at the Panda forums with the problem and hope to get hope. Here is the procedure, noting that you would have to change the directory referred to to the one you are having trouble with:

Thanks, Redress. The main concern I have with doing that is if a file is corrupt and I'm bypassing it, couldn't it cause me much more trouble down the road?

If that's the general consensus from the people who respond I'll give it a try.....but I'm kinda scared to do it.

I tried Panda for a while and didn't care for it. Way too heavy in my opinion.

The Panda scan window will not allow me to cancel the scan (it never has allowed me to cancel the scan at startup). All I can do is pause it. It won't shrink down. It won't X out.
Try ending the program/scan by using the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and then see if you can uninstall Panda (Control Panel - Remove Programs)

Download Revo Uninstaller (Revo Uninstaller - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com). Uninstall Panda and reboot. Then download AVG Free (AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com), reboot on prompt and run a full scan after reboot. AVG is the best free anti-virus protection out there. Once the scan is complete, download and install Malware Bytes (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com). It says it is a program you have to buy, but it works as a free program. You simply have to update it yourself and run it manually. If you pay for it, it will update regularly and you can schedule scans, but it's really not worth the money.

HUGH!!!!
This sounds safe and I'm going to give it a shot. I'll report back in a bit.

Thank you!!!!!!

I tried Panda for a while and didn't care for it. Way too heavy in my opinion.

Try ending the program/scan by using the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and then see if you can uninstall Panda (Control Panel - Remove Programs)

Thank you Tashah!!

I'll try to uninstall this way first and then grab the programs Hugh suggested.

I'll be back with an update soon.

:2wave:

AVG used to be the best, it's true. I have changed to Avira and not looked back, it's massively better. Avast I believe is the one most likely to catch weird viruses that others miss, and least likely to find things not a virus(or so it was when I was reading reviews to decide what to use).

I've used Avast! virus protection for the past year and I love it. It's totally free and it's not a resource hog. After downloading, you simply register to get your license key and that's it. Avast!

Am about to uninstall Panda. I got a pop up that says:
Some system files are in quarantine. If you uninstall the application you will not be able to recover them. Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its features?

Should I say yes?

Am about to uninstall Panda. I got a pop up that says:
Some system files are in quarantine. If you uninstall the application you will not be able to recover them. Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its features?

Should I say yes?

I just looked at the quarantined files. 99% of them are suspicious attachments. I guess related to email? Those shouldn't affect anything, right?

There are two others that look like they may be nothing too.
  • C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\

I would just go ahead and do the complete anti-virus uninstall. I've done this before many times and suffered no ill effects.

Remember though to download a new anti-virus program asap, make sure it is updated, and then run a complete scan.

I would just go ahead and do the complete anti-virus uninstall. I've done this before many times and suffered no ill effects.

Remember though to download a new anti-virus program asap, make sure it is updated, and then run a complete scan.

YAY!
Panda uninstalled. It wants a restart.

Would you do the restart now or install the new antivirus first?

YAY!
Panda uninstalled. It wants a restart.

Would you do the restart now or install the new antivirus first?
I would re-boot first, and then install a different anti-virus program.

{edit: You may have to re-boot again after the new program is installed. Do it.}

Last edited:
Rebooting now. I hope to see you soon. ;)
We'll get ya through this Missy... we have some pretty good computer geeks here at DP :2razz:

We'll get ya through this Missy... we have some pretty good computer geeks here at DP :2razz:

Hoooorah for the geeks! :2razz:

I did decide to go with Avast. It found one threat. It said it moved it to the virus chest. I think it was the same file that the Panda kept stalling at....the last file I mentioned in my first message on this thread.
I opened up the virus chest to post it but I don't see it there.

Thank you Tashah, Hugh, Redress & Spud. I was feeling a little anxious about what was happening and it was so nice to have my hand held through this.

I really appreciate it. You guys rock!!!

I managed to get a lot of housework done while Avast was running a full scan so it looks like I'm in housecleaning mode now.

See you soon......

I managed to get a lot of housework done while Avast was running a full scan so it looks like I'm in housecleaning mode now.

See you soon......
Terrific! Glad I could help.

:2wave:

The only thing more annoying than computer problems - A/C going out during a heat wave. My A/C went out last night (out of freon I believe) and it's currently warmer in the house than it is outside. We are supposed to get up to 92 today with plenty of sun and high humidity. Repair man should be here in about an hour (fingers crossed). Not off to a good day so far...

The only thing more annoying than computer problems - A/C going out during a heat wave. My A/C went out last night (out of freon I believe) and it's currently warmer in the house than it is outside. We are supposed to get up to 92 today with plenty of sun and high humidity. Repair man should be here in about an hour (fingers crossed). Not off to a good day so far...

Ohhhh that is going to be a costly fix.

Hugh,

Air conditioning units, especially for a house, are a closed system. It should not run out of freon. Have your man check for leaks. (Auto units may leak due to the seals.)

Good luck!

Hugh,

Air conditioning units, especially for a house, are a closed system. It should not run out of freon. Have your man check for leaks. (Auto units may leak due to the seals.)

Good luck!

I know it's leaking because I just filled up the freon 2 months ago when I moved in.

Back
Top Bottom