• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Computer Programs to Recommend

BooRadley said:
DVD Shrink in conjunction with DVD Decrypter is great for backing up DVDs.

Apache, when used in conjunction with DYN DNS and DNSer, or something similar, to run your own low-traffic web site.

Along with that, it doesn't hurt to add Perl (which isn't bad to have even if you aren't running Apache.

You can also add fun things like War FTP, and you can run ssh as a service and get a complete command shell using Cygwin.

ID3 TagIt is good for fixing up your ID3 tags on bunches of MP3's at once.

Putty is a great telnet/ssh client, and Audacity is pretty cool recording software.

Soul Seek is the best filesharing program I've found, for music at least, and Peer Guardian doesn't hurt to run to help keep various agencies and governments off your back.
I have used Perl, but for the purposes of writing scripts for my machine, I have found version 3 of AutoIt to be an excellent script writing language, which also gives you the ability to write pretty good GUI's as well. I have found this application indispensible. Autoit, version 3, utilizes a language set that has a look and feel similar to that of Visual Basic.

Last edited:
Freeware animated gif maker.

http://www.vvcool.com/animator9/

instructions
http://d.turboupload.com/d/421817/instructions.pdf.html

Here is a animated gif I made with snapshot from a movie with my nero media player.
deadbirds.gif

DVD Backups:I use either DVD Decrypter or to bypass the newest encryptions like Sony's use Anydvd

To burn a DVD copy I use Nero 7 Ultra which hands done gives the best quality backups in the affordable range (if you pay for your software)

Computer security: I go with CA Etrust for antivirus because Norton puts too much useless crap on your computer and that's what most hackers target, also Etrust has 2 engines instead of one and protects incoming and outgoing traffic.

For a firewall I like Zone Alarm Pro I know there are better firewalls, but its easy and works well for me.

Finally Ad-Aware and Spybot AND Windows Defender for my spyware.

Hope it's all useful!

I'll throw out DVDSanta for converting .avi files to DVDs.

TCP Optimizer is a must use. It's quick and easy, takes maybe 10 seconds - one time use.

Download it here

Select Optimal Settings > Click Modify all network adapters > Click apply changes

You're done.

Also, even though this is/should be common knowledge...... if you are using internet explorer over mozilla firefox....... you are a fool and putting yourself at risk. Not only does firefox run about 1000x better, it is much much much more secure than IE.

firefox

If anyone is looking for a program to do _____________ , give me a PM and im sure I could help you out.

Back
Top Bottom