• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Compromise

Rucker61

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Gun control advocates, you've yet to answer this question.

What compromise is intended when you refer to a "compromise" with gun rights advocates? What are you giving back?

I'm sorry but this debate is so stupid. WHEN in the 244 years of America has the second amendment been used to effectively stop tyranny?
When has the right protected by the Second Amendment been used for lawful purposes as noted in the Gun Control Act of 1968 is a better question.

When has the right protected by the Second Amendment been used for lawful purposes as noted in the Gun Control Act of 1968 is a better question.
you don't get what I am saying

What good is the second amendment for stopping tyranny, as conservatives say, IF YOU LITERALLY NEVER USE AGAINST TYRANNY.

Answer:

1. Did we use it when Washington + Adams + Jefferson raised taxes higher than British colonial levels?
    1. WE actually did, but the whiskey rebellion and others failed. Shame.
  2. Did we use it when Confederates and Union dragged millions of Americans into unnecessary civil war?
  3. Did we use it when the Federal Reserve was created in 1913, creating an income tax and permanently destroying the US economy?
  4. Did we use it when Woodrow Wilson brought us into WW1 unnecessarily and cost the lives of 100K Americans?
  5. Did we use it when LBJ forced whites to desegregate and send them overseas to Vietnam?
  6. Did we use it when Bush pushed through the Patriot Act?
  7. Did we use it when Covid tyranny was installed?
NO WE DIDNT! SO FOR 244 YEARS, AMERICANS HAVE NEVER ONCE USED THEIR GUNS TO STOP TYRANNY. FOR 244 YEARS AMERICANS HAVE WILLINGLY RETREATED INTO TOTAL SLAVERY

YOU DONT HAVE THE SECOND AMENDMENT. YOU'VE NEVER HAD THE SECOND AMENDMENT

you don't get what I am saying

What good is the second amendment for stopping tyranny, as conservatives say, IF YOU LITERALLY NEVER USE AGAINST TYRANNY.

Answer:

1. Did we use it when Washington + Adams + Jefferson raised taxes higher than British colonial levels?
    1. WE actually did, but the whiskey rebellion and others failed. Shame.
  2. Did we use it when Confederates and Union dragged millions of Americans into unnecessary civil war?
  3. Did we use it when the Federal Reserve was created in 1913, creating an income tax and permanently destroying the US economy?
  4. Did we use it when Woodrow Wilson brought us into WW1 unnecessarily and cost the lives of 100K Americans?
  5. Did we use it when LBJ forced whites to desegregate and send them overseas to Vietnam?
  6. Did we use it when Bush pushed through the Patriot Act?
  7. Did we use it when Covid tyranny was installed?
NO WE DIDNT! SO FOR 244 YEARS, AMERICANS HAVE NEVER ONCE USED THEIR GUNS TO STOP TYRANNY. FOR 244 YEARS AMERICANS HAVE WILLINGLY RETREATED INTO TOTAL SLAVERY

YOU DONT HAVE THE SECOND AMENDMENT. YOU'VE NEVER HAD THE SECOND AMENDMENT
Yawn.

I'm sorry but this debate is so stupid. WHEN in the 244 years of America has the second amendment been used to effectively stop tyranny?
Every day - knowing an armed citizenry exists deters freedom grabbers, which is why the left is so anti-gun.

Gun control advocates, you've yet to answer this question.

What compromise is intended when you refer to a "compromise" with gun rights advocates? What are you giving back?

What would gun owners be willing to give up ?

So are you are you not in favor of compromise ?
I don't know. The GCAs haven't ever told us what they're going to give us back. That's what I'm asking.

I don't know. The GCAs haven't ever told us what they're going to give us back. That's what I'm asking.

What would be the minimum, you would accept ?

Compulsory registration
National database for background checks
Mandatory cooling off period
Ban on certain types of gun
Ban on bearing arms on public property ?

Every day - knowing an armed citizenry exists deters freedom grabbers, which is why the left is so anti-gun.
OH MY GOD YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!!!! WHEN HAVE OUR ARMED CITIZENRY STOPPED "FREEDOM GRABBERS"??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What would be the minimum, you would accept ?

Compulsory registration
National database for background checks
Mandatory cooling off period
Ban on certain types of gun
Ban on bearing arms on public property ?
These are all "takes". What are the "give backs", you know, the compromise part?

OH MY GOD YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!!!! WHEN HAVE OUR ARMED CITIZENRY STOPPED "FREEDOM GRABBERS"??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
The first thing dictators do when talking over is seize weapons.

These are all "takes". What are the "give backs", you know, the compromise part?

The compromise is no blanket gun ban
Guns to remain, under those provisions.

Gun owners have everything already, any compromise means them losing something. What are you prepared to lose ?

The compromise is no blanket gun ban
Guns to remain, under those provisions.

Gun owners have everything already, any compromise means them losing something. What are you prepared to lose ?
That's not a compromise, that's extortion. As expected.

What would gun owners be willing to give up ?

I don’t speak for all gun owners but for me:

UBC as long as it is open for all to use and the fee is kept nominal preferably free but no more than 5 bucks

Red flag laws as long as there are clear criteria for what gets someone on the list and a clear way for it to be challenged. The restrictions would be reviewed every 2 years.

Safe storage for homes that have minor children under the age a hunting license is required. As long as it’s not one of those extreme guns in one safe ammo in a different safe in separate room. A trigger lock would meet the requirement.

Training requirement for anyone wanting to conceal carry. The trade off being its recognized in all states.

Large capacity magazine restrictions. I agree with Biden that 50 and 100 round magazines are not needed, but would never support restricting current standard size magazines.

How many tyrants have taken the US over by force in it's entire history?

Whereas gun owners position of status quo, is not ?

The question remains, what are you prepared to lose ?

Let's not forget that the overwhelming majority of gun control advocates in the US claim they support gun rights. So a "blanket ban" is a phony position from which to haggle for a compromise.

I don’t speak for all gun owners but for me:

UBC as long as it is open for all to use and the fee is kept nominal preferably free but no more than 5 bucks

Red flag laws as long as there are clear criteria for what gets someone on the list and a clear way for it to be challenged. The restrictions would be reviewed every 2 years.

Safe storage for homes that have minor children under the age a hunting license is required. As long as it’s not one of those extreme guns in one safe ammo in a different safe in separate room. A trigger lock would meet the requirement.

Training requirement for anyone wanting to conceal carry. The trade off being its recognized in all states.

Large capacity magazine restrictions. I agree with Biden that 50 and 100 round magazines are not needed, but would never support restricting current standard size magazines.

That's not much really.

But you mention interesting items:

1. Safe storage is OK in theory, but how would you check/enforce it. Unscheduled inspections is really the only way but that violates the 4A

2. Training requirements would be bitterly opposed by many. The issues would be who would do the training/testing, who would check this training/testing, who would set the standards, would there be a pass/fail score ?
Secondly, why require training for concealed carry, but not open carry? And why require training for people carry a firearm, but not someone keeping one just in the home ?

Back
Top Bottom