• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Companies Not Closing In Russia

I just read Pizza Hut, Papa Johns. Taco Bell and Burger King refuse to join companies closing down in Russia. Pass it on.

It's a good thing that I don't go to those establishments.

I will make sure I stay away from them in the future.

How nice to see such concern from you for the Russians, yet you don’t give 2 shits for Ukrainian people being murdered by Putin and his armies
You Russian loving Trumplicans are disgusting
Is it not possible to feel bad for both?

Did I miss where there's not room for feeling bad for citizens in either country?

Is this a pie where if one person gets a slice it means that someone else can't?

Black/white thinking like that is completely ridiculous to me.

How nice to see such concern from you for the Russians, yet you don’t give 2 shits for Ukrainian people being murdered by Putin and his armies
You Russian loving Trumplicans are disgusting
Hahaha this take is hilarious. Your avatar is spot-on!

I just read Pizza Hut, Papa Johns. Taco Bell and Burger King refuse to join companies closing down in Russia. Pass it on.

Wrong site...try facebook.

OMG I just read that Bridgestone Tire is still operating in Russia. O-M-G! Hang on guys. I'll be right back. Just need to grab a knife and head out to the garage real quick.

Is it not possible to feel bad for both?

Did I miss where there's not room for feeling bad for citizens in either country?

Is this a pie where if one person gets a slice it means that someone else can't?

Black/white thinking like that is completely ridiculous to me.
Break the Russian people, break Putin, break the war
Putin is their leader whom they did not contest
You Trumplican Russian traitors are all the same

I'm failing to understand why they should close?

So the people working there lose their jobs?

Please explain the reasoning? The average Russian citizen isn't the one making decisions about this war...and they can't even protest without being "disappeared". Why should they lose their jobs and their ability to put food on their table? What does that accomplish except more innocent suffering?
The average Ukrainian citizen doesn't want any part of a war, yet Putin's military is killing them anyway. Unemployed beats the hell own of being shot or blown up.

The average Ukrainian citizen doesn't want any part of a war, yet Putin's military is killing them anyway. Unemployed beats the hell own of being shot or blown up.
It isn't an either/or situation.

Both CAN be wrong.

I'm failing to understand why they should close?

So the people working there lose their jobs?

Please explain the reasoning? The average Russian citizen isn't the one making decisions about this war...and they can't even protest without being "disappeared". Why should they lose their jobs and their ability to put food on their table? What does that accomplish except more innocent suffering?

The idea of sanctions (and boycotts) seems to be to encourage (force?) the Russian population to demand better leadership.

It isn't an either/or situation.

Both CAN be wrong.
McDonald's is still paying their Russian employees. The other companies can do the same.

The idea of sanctions (and boycotts) seems to be to encourage (force?) the Russian population to demand better leadership.
Are we pretending that Russian citizens have a free, democratic society where the voice of the average citizen matters for much?

McDonald's is still paying their Russian employees. The other companies can do the same.
I believe McDonald's is a corporate structure vs. some of these being franchises.

Do you think the average franchise owner has the funds to pay people if they are closed?

Are we pretending that Russian citizens have a free, democratic society where the voice of the average citizen matters for much?

Nope, but we seem to be hoping that will become the case. We do seem to be pretending that supplying a greatly outnumbered Ukrainian defense force with (a few) more weapons will stop Putin’s invasion.

I believe McDonald's is a corporate structure vs. some of these being franchises.

Do you think the average franchise owner has the funds to pay people if they are closed?
McDonald's is a franchise operation.

EDIT: Some, 84% in Russia is corporate owned.

Probably the case with the others, but at least all Burger King franchises are owned by a Russian company. So don't expect them to shut down. Boycott their food because it's horrible, not because BKs still operate in Russia.

They are all franchises, likely with Russian ownership. The franchise agreement will provide terms under which the franchisor can pull the agreement. But its likely the franchisor has no real rights to terminate the agreements, and even if they did, good luck getting the Russian franchisee to pull down the signs.

No, they are franchises which can be rescinded. Essentially the franchisee pays the owner (BK etc.), for the privilege of serving their garbage 'food'.
Not generally unilaterally without cause, with 'cause' being defined in the franchise agreement. These are likely not simple franchises, but covered under an countrywide agreement.

With all due respect to those establishments, they may well be doing more damage to Russia if they stay open. Have you ever had a Papa John's pizza? It's like chewing a tire coated in garlic grease. Burger King used to be capable of putting out a decent fast food burger but getting anyone to actually take your order might take all week. The other two...I haven't been drunk enough to try them in a decade or more.

The average Russian citizen supports Putin, voted for Putin, and is staying silent while their neighbor, friends and family are being murdered. They are as compliant as the germans during ww2. The Russian people could stop Putin and instead are just hoping he wins.
Ukranian government stayed silent while Azov was committing atrocities against Russia sympathetic citizens

The average Russian citizen has absolutely zero control over what Putin does and is living in a tyrannical society. I'm not one to want to see them suffer any more than necessary for a war they didn't start and have no ability to stop.

They can't even protest without being imprisoned.
It will take a while. The news suppression is in high gear in Russia. The people only know what Putin tells them. Hitting them where it hurts will make them curious. They will hopefully then seek out more truth and revolt against Putin. Try and remember that it's not just the US boycotting Russia. It's 90% of the entire world.

If you found out that the whole world was shutting down Russia financially, you'd likely rise up too. Putin can't build enough jails when the people get really pissed. I guess he could just start killing them on site, though. That wouldn't be a good look either.

Back
Top Bottom