• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Companies lay off thousands, then demand immigration reform for new labor

WCH

Believer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Companies lay off thousands, then demand immigration reform for new labor | WashingtonExaminer.com

On Tuesday, the chief human resources officers of more than 100 large corporations sent a letter to House Speaker John Boehner and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi urging quick passage of a comprehensive immigration reform bill.

The officials represent companies with a vast array of business interests: General Electric, The Walt Disney Company, Marriott International, Hilton Worldwide, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, McDonald's Corporation, The Wendy's Company, Coca-Cola, The Cheesecake Factory, Johnson & Johnson, Verizon Communications, Hewlett-Packard, General Mills, and many more. All want to see increases in immigration levels for low-skill as well as high-skill workers, in addition to a path to citizenship for the millions of immigrants currently in the U.S. illegally.

A new immigration law, the corporate officers say, "would be a long overdue step toward aligning our nation's immigration policies with its workforce needs at all skill levels to ensure U.S. global competitiveness." The officials cite a publication of their trade group, the HR Policy Association, which calls for immigration reform to "address the reality that there is a global war for talent." The way for the United States to win that war for talent, they say, is more immigration.

Well immigrants that do have the talent can get into the U.S. legally already.

They've given up on Obama voters. They need people that actually show up and work.

Companies lay off thousands, then demand immigration reform for new labor | WashingtonExaminer.com

On Tuesday, the chief human resources officers of more than 100 large corporations sent a letter to House Speaker John Boehner and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi urging quick passage of a comprehensive immigration reform bill.

The officials represent companies with a vast array of business interests: General Electric, The Walt Disney Company, Marriott International, Hilton Worldwide, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, McDonald's Corporation, The Wendy's Company, Coca-Cola, The Cheesecake Factory, Johnson & Johnson, Verizon Communications, Hewlett-Packard, General Mills, and many more. All want to see increases in immigration levels for low-skill as well as high-skill workers, in addition to a path to citizenship for the millions of immigrants currently in the U.S. illegally.

A new immigration law, the corporate officers say, "would be a long overdue step toward aligning our nation's immigration policies with its workforce needs at all skill levels to ensure U.S. global competitiveness." The officials cite a publication of their trade group, the HR Policy Association, which calls for immigration reform to "address the reality that there is a global war for talent."
The way for the United States to win that war for talent, they say, is more immigration.

I support immigration reform.

I also support retraining out of work Americans to fill jobs.

It is possible to do both things, if congress would get to work.

"Companies lay off thousands, then demand immigration reform for new labor | WashingtonExaminer.com"

Capitalism sucks, doesn't it?

There is not enough jobs to go around as is, legalizing these law breakers will make things even worse.

There is not enough jobs to go around as is, legalizing these law breakers will make things even worse.

1. It's not a zero sum game. Hardworking immigrants create wealth and jobs.

2. Legalizing the status of immigrants will stop companies from exploiting them, which is what drives down wages for everybody.

A new immigration law, the corporate officers say, "would be a long overdue step toward aligning our nation's immigration policies with its workforce needs at all skill levels to ensure U.S. global competitiveness." The officials cite a publication of their trade group, the HR Policy Association, which calls for immigration reform to "address the reality that there is a global war for talent." The way for the United States to win that war for talent, they say, is more immigration.

Amazing how the scum in office can sit there and bitch about people getting poorer and unable to find jobs and they want to flood the labor market with 20-30 million more workers to the legal workforce.

2. Legalizing the status of immigrants will stop companies from exploiting them, which is what drives down wages for everybody.

Or we could send them home so companies can't exploit them.

No it won't. Supply and demand works with labor as well. If you have more people available to do a certain job then that means you can easily replace them and you do not have to pay them that much. Like the Reagan Amnesty has proven is that the scum who already hire illegals will continue to do so while the amnesty citizens will just flood labor market of other jobs.

Take note public education folks, it's easier to import both skilled and unskilled workers than it is to wade through our government and the enormous unions that prevent us from creating it domestically. It's OK though, foreign markets and their citizens are more than happy to take your cast-off jobs and lack of respect for a hard work ethic, math/science focus, etc. Enjoy the liberal arts degree ;P

How is guberment going to get "retraining" correct when they can't even get the initial training correct? Asians coming over in droves with technical focuses get it right the first time.

It's not a zero sum game. Hardworking immigrants create wealth and jobs.

I totally agree.

Congress could write immigration reform and a bill to provide retraining for unemployed Americans,if it would get to work.

Isn't this just a ploy to bring in more cheap labor that will make fewer demands?

Or we could send them home so companies can't exploit them.

Yeah, if corporations in the hospitality, agribusiness and meat packing industries would stop knowningly hiring immigrants they can exploit, they would go home.

I'm glad you support bringing criminal charges against CEOs who are violating immigration laws. Wait, you don't! It's more blaming the victims that conservatives always do.

I totally agree.

Congress could write immigration reform and a bill to provide retraining for unemployed Americans,if it would get to work.

Indeed. As part of global trading treaties, we should have surtaxed the rich in the country (the predominant beneficiaries of globalism) and used those revenues to retrain and educate unskilled workers (who predominant bear the burden of globalization).

But of course conservatives prevented that.

Yank the business license of every company who signed the letter and then investigate every one of them for hiring violations (on their dime). That would be my answer to these assholes.

Clearly what the 100 corporations referenced in the OP want is for wage scales to plummet thereby creating cheap labor and reducing costs.

They make that clear by laying off American citizens at the going American wage scales and then stump for "immigration reform" (read: amnesty and legalization for 20 million illegal aliens) that will cause wage scales to plummet.

This is all so obvious.

Yet, they can so stump in broad daylight, because they believe the great majority of the American public who opposes such mercenary exploitive behavior is powerless to stop them.

'Tis sad .. very sad.

Yeah, if corporations in the hospitality, agribusiness and meat packing industries would stop knowningly hiring immigrants they can exploit, they would go home.

I'm glad you support bringing criminal charges against CEOs who are violating immigration laws.

I fully support treating scum who hire illegals no different than we do drug dealers, mobsters and other criminals who profit from and or use their money for illegal actives. That means subjecting them prison time, huge fines, asset seizure and forfeiture and making them lose their business licenses.I would also like to permanently bar them from ever getting a business license.

Wait, you don't! It's more blaming the victims that conservatives always do.

Illegals are not victims.The illegals are just as guilty as the scum who hire them.

We need to make sure that doesn't happen, but at the same time increasing the number of available jobs in the USA is good for everyone.

I don't oppose immigration reform but if we are going to do it let's not do it for the sake of large corporations who want to increase their profits through cheap labor. Why not set a decent minimum wage and get health coverage established first? That way they are walking into to decent conditions to begin with. It seems harsh but realistic given current corporate behavior.

It's things like this that cause me concerns about capitalism without strict government oversight. (but I suppose that is a topic for another thread)

I totally agree.

Retraining to learn the art of picking tomatoes?

The reason the *government* hasn't done any of those things is because THERE'S NO MONEY!

I'm glad you support bringing criminal charges against CEOs who are violating immigration laws. Wait, you don't! It's more blaming the victims that conservatives always do.

I do support just that.

Why the man that heads the law enforcement organizations in the US doesn't, well, you ask him. He wants little to do with it or he would already be doing it. Wouldn't bother me one bit to see any CEO go to jail for violating immigration laws.

Back
Top Bottom