• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Companies lay off thousands, then demand immigration reform for new labor

I support immigration reform.

Meaning you support Amnesty and thus more illegal immigration.You either support amnesty/legal status with either a future promise of enforcement that never happens or enforcement before amnesty happens which enforcement stops once all the 20 million plus illegals in this country have amnesty/legal status.And either way we will have be in this same exact situation 20 something years from now except instead of 20 million plus illegals it will be 60 million plus illegals.

I also support retraining out of work Americans to fill jobs.

You do realize these pro-illegal scum are also trying to import more skilled workers? This whole lets legalize illegals and import more workers is nothing more than a scam to drive down wages.
It is possible to do both things, if congress would get to work.

I would rather congress enact and enforce laws similar to those in Oklahoma,Arizona,Alabama and other anti-illegal immigration states.Illegals can't get jobs and enact the following

1.Crack down on the scum who hire illegals.Treat them no different than we do drug dealers and other criminals who profit from and or use their money for illegal activities.

2. In order to get any ID or driver's license you present a birth certificate,in rare cases a Non-Availability of Birth Certificate/Certificate of No Record, green card, or certificate of naturalization and social security card.After that require a state issued ID or driver's license in order to the following-

-enroll yourself into school
-enroll your minor kids into school
-apply for welfare,food stamps,section 8 housing and any other tax payer assistance for yourself and or your children
-get a business license,fishing/hunting permit,building permit, license to practice law, food handlers permit, gun license(in states that require a permit to buy a gun),concealed carry permit(in states that require a license to conceal carry) or any other tax payer funded service
-open a bank account, cash a check, use a credit/debit/pre-paid card, apply for a loan,or wire money.
-rent,borrow,lease or buy property
-rent,borrow,lease or buy a motor vehicle.
-get legal documents for yourself or your children.
-get utilities

3.Mandate E-verify for every employer.

4.Repeal part of the immigration and nationality act of 1965 that allows for the chain migration of relatives other than spouse or minor children.This would virtually eliminate anchor babies.

These solutions would make it extremely hard for illegals to get a job and for illegals to profit from their illegal residence in the US.

Last edited:
1. It's not a zero sum game. Hardworking immigrants create wealth and jobs.

2. Legalizing the status of immigrants will stop companies from exploiting them, which is what drives down wages for everybody.

No it won't. The last amnesty from Regan shows this to not be true. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

1. It's not a zero sum game. Hardworking immigrants create wealth and jobs.

2. Legalizing the status of immigrants will stop companies from exploiting them, which is what drives down wages for everybody.

1. I agree it's not zero sum. Importing a herd of unskilled, uneducated workers from Mexico and giving them access to our social network would surely be a windfall for companies that will displace American workers who are quickly being assigned part time jobs so the companies can avoid the penalties associated with Obamacare. It looks to me that some in government want to give us piss milkshakes to go with our crap sandwich.

2. You're going to have to explain to me how a herd of unskilled, uneducated workers flooding the labor market is going to drive wages up, for anyone.

No it won't. The last amnesty from Regan shows this to not be true. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Yeah, legalizing those illegals here won't stop new ones from coming in and hence there will always be companies to take advantage of their situation. The legalizing of illegals back during Reagan was also suppose to put illegal immigration to bed, solve the problem once and for good. It didn't. Perhaps the questions is should we be rewarding people who broke the law? If I remember right, the figure was 3 million illegals during Reagan, what is it now, 11, 12 million or more. I read of figures as high as 20 million. Legalizing those all ready here won't do one thing to stop more from coming and we will go through this whole thing in another 20 years. We either enforce our laws or we don't.

Once the USA was known as "The land of Laws" now we are known as the "The land which only enforces the laws they want too."

Yeah, legalizing those illegals here won't stop new ones from coming in and hence there will always be companies to take advantage of their situation. The legalizing of illegals back during Reagan was also suppose to put illegal immigration to bed, solve the problem once and for good. It didn't. Perhaps the questions is should we be rewarding people who broke the law? If I remember right, the figure was 3 million illegals during Reagan, what is it now, 11, 12 million or more. I read of figures as high as 20 million. Legalizing those all ready here won't do one thing to stop more from coming and we will go through this whole thing in another 20 years. We either enforce our laws or we don't.

Once the USA was known as "The land of Laws" now we are known as the "The land which only enforces the laws they want too."

Bold: And that right there is exactly why the Amnesty from Regan failed. He tried to make it to where the illegal problem was solved. Problem being that those particular laws were never enforced like they should have been. It also imo did not go far enough. I fully believe that we should strip any buisness of hiring illegals of their buisness license and forfeiture of all assets....with possible prison time...say a minimum of 5 years. And not just buisnesses either. But also anyone that rents, or sells any type of property to them. Make E-verify mandatory for both things.

Yeah, if corporations in the hospitality, agribusiness and meat packing industries would stop knowningly hiring immigrants they can exploit, they would go home.

I'm glad you support bringing criminal charges against CEOs who are violating immigration laws. Wait, you don't! It's more blaming the victims that conservatives always do.

Who's job is it to secure our borders?

Isn't this just a ploy to bring in more cheap labor that will make fewer demands?

Please understand what it's like in the real world. If you are fortunate enough to compete globally, you compete against countries that have far, far lower labor costs, but just as importantly, far lower standards of living. You either compete with them, or you give up share to them. If you think it's a good idea to lose globally in the economy, and that this somehow magically means labor will IMPROVE in the U.S., that wouldn't make sense would it?
If every competitor in the marketplace is helping raise the living standards of these other nations by utilizing their far less expensive labor and very high numbers of technically trained candidates (we prefer liberal arts in the U.S,. and wonder why we import so many tech jobs, dur), you will not compete with them if you don't either do likewise, or find some earth shattering innovation AND are able to keep it secret, to compete.
Else, you lose, and you are then unemployed and all your employees are unemployed and the business is sucked up by a foreign entity.

The notion that foreign labor is desirable because they make fewer demands is absurd when compared to the real reasons and real risks.

You have a choice. Don't compete globally, or compete. Your choice. I personally don't like to lose.

Back
Top Bottom