• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Communist leader dies in prison

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Abimael Guzmán, the leader of the brutal Shining Path insurgency in Peru who was captured in 1992, died on Saturday in a military hospital after an illness, the Peruvian government said.

Guzmán, a former philosophy professor, launched an insurgency against the state in 1980 and presided over numerous car bombings and assassinations in the years that followed. Guzmán was captured in 1992 and sentenced in life in prison for terrorism and other crimes.

The Shining Path "murdered thousands of innocents and undermined the peace of the country. We do not forget the horror of that time, and his death will not erase his crimes," Economy Minister Pedro Francke said.

Guzmán preached a messianic vision of a classless Maoist utopia based on pure communism, considering himself the "Fourth Sword of Marxism" after Karl Marx, Vladimir Ilyich Lenin and Mao Zedong.

Would you kill thousands to bring about a communist utopia?

Abimael Guzmán, the leader of the brutal Shining Path insurgency in Peru who was captured in 1992, died on Saturday in a military hospital after an illness, the Peruvian government said.

Guzmán, a former philosophy professor, launched an insurgency against the state in 1980 and presided over numerous car bombings and assassinations in the years that followed. Guzmán was captured in 1992 and sentenced in life in prison for terrorism and other crimes.

The Shining Path "murdered thousands of innocents and undermined the peace of the country. We do not forget the horror of that time, and his death will not erase his crimes," Economy Minister Pedro Francke said.

Guzmán preached a messianic vision of a classless Maoist utopia based on pure communism, considering himself the "Fourth Sword of Marxism" after Karl Marx, Vladimir Ilyich Lenin and Mao Zedong.

Would you kill thousands to bring about a communist utopia?

I would not, no, nor would I want to die in prison. One less violent kook in this world is a good thing.

Never heard of this guy.

Good riddance I guess. Peru has other problems than the Shining Path nowadays, but I have heard some splinter groups are still around, but are mostly just involved in the drug trade (as in they are basically just criminals).

I've heard of the "Shining Path" but not the guy who died.

Hard to forget "Shining Path" it's like a comic book villain organization.

Leftists are going to left.

TBH, Peru rarely appeared on my political radar, certainly not like Chile or Argentina, not to mention Brazil and all the Narco States

TBH, Peru rarely appeared on my political radar, certainly not like Chile or Argentina, not to mention Brazil and all the Narco States

Do you know FARC? A long time client of the Soviets?

Back
Top Bottom