• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Common sense gun laws

blaxshep

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
What exactly is common sense gun laws? Laws that are open to interpretation and re-interpretation I would think.

Lets say we all agree to this idea and we pass universal background checks, ban "Assault Rifles" and any magazines over 10 rounds. Would this be common sense gun laws?

Now after we enact these common sense gun laws let's assume all the law abiding citizens comply, even though criminals wont, .... but lets just pretend that they will too.

Now what happens when mass murders are still committed only now they are with hunting rifles with only 10 round magazines? Of course the 99% of murders that were committed with non-Assault weapons are still occurring as well.

So now what, I suppose it would be common sense to maybe ban all removable magazines and put more restrictions on hand guns, finger print locks? a longer waiting list? A gun registry? Stop CCW permits?

When that doesn't work what does common sense tell us then?

What exactly is common sense gun laws? Laws that are open to interpretation and re-interpretation I would think.

Lets say we all agree to this idea and we pass universal background checks, ban "Assault Rifles" and any magazines over 10 rounds. Would this be common sense gun laws?

Now after we enact these common sense gun laws let's assume all the law abiding citizens comply, even though criminals wont, .... but lets just pretend that they will too.

Now what happens when mass murders are still committed only now they are with hunting rifles with only 10 round magazines? Of course the 99% of murders that were committed with non-Assault weapons are still occurring as well.

So now what, I suppose it would be common sense to maybe ban all removable magazines and put more restrictions on hand guns, finger print locks? a longer waiting list? A gun registry? Stop CCW permits?

common sense attached to gun control almost guarantees its not

but you have to understand the Bannerrhoid mentality. The Bannerrhoid movement is not about crime control. So trying to evaluate Bannerrhoid proposals through the filter of crime control is a waste of effort. The real motivation of Bannerrhoid members is to harass and punish lawful gun owners and to try to eliminate the NRA by causing lots of people to drop shooting sports as a hobby or recreation. Viewed in that light, "common sense" gun laws are ones that will clearly harass and impede honest gun ownership.

so yes to the Bannerrhoid movement, stuff that harasses lawful gun owners is "common sense"

This idea us birthed out of the anti gun lobby's new language to get rid of civilian firearms.

Their view is that any gun not locked up at home is unsafe and therefore should be an illegal firearm, AND the people who own them are suspect.

It's all fuzzy kitten logic.

It's not?

Headache typing. The "not" after the "is" should have been deleted. I first wrote the sentence like this - Anything that infringes is not common sense. Then I changed the "Anything" to "Nothing." I should have left it as it was, or just not posted at all given my force 10 headache.

What it should have been telling us after the first common sense law was past. Perhaps now with hindsight we might figure it's time to let the public know that it's romance with gun control is over unless they want to live in a crime ridden country.

I don't think anyone is seriously proposing that criminal background checks and magazine size limits will end murder.

That depends who you ask, to the gun grabbers the only common sense gun law boils down to full banishment.

Where most common sense people understand that ending violence by banning guns is about as effective as ending lung cancer by banning all ashtrays.

I don't think anyone is seriously proposing that criminal background checks and magazine size limits will end murder.

there is actually lots of evidence they won't do anything other (in the case of magazine limits) harass honest gun owners.

That depends who you ask, to the gun grabbers the only common sense gun law boils down to full banishment.

Where most common sense people understand that ending violence by banning guns is about as effective as ending lung cancer by banning all ashtrays.

true but most of our hard core bannerrhoids only pretend to care about crime. That is not what motivates their calls for more and more and more restrictions that only apply to honest people

true but most of our hard core bannerrhoids only pretend to care about crime. That is not what motivates their calls for more and more and more restrictions that only apply to honest people

I know... It really is a control issue more than a gun issue.

there is actually lots of evidence they won't do anything other (in the case of magazine limits) harass honest gun owners.

Magazine capacity is really only a factor in the most extreme of mass shooting cases such as the recent incident in Orlando which naturally tend to garner the greatest amount of publicity. Events of that type are of course quite rare and I have an alternative proposal to make them less common, though it is quite impractical in a free society.

Stop giving these events so much publicity.

Magazine capacity is really only a factor in the most extreme of mass shooting cases such as the recent incident in Orlando which naturally tend to garner the greatest amount of publicity. Events of that type are of course quite rare and I have an alternative proposal to make them less common, though it is quite impractical in a free society.

less publicity would be far more effective-I suspect that the recent upswing in people using rifles is due to the publicity. VT and Luby's were two of the worst massacres with gun wielding assholes in US history and both used handguns, VT it was ten round handguns. BTW Lanza would have killed as many or more if he had two or three handguns rather than a rifle. in close quarters with defenseless victims, handguns are more effective.

I've been reading several of the previous posts and believe there is a time and place for "common sense" gun laws. Unfortunately, there seems to be very little if any "common sense" on either side. Both sides appear to approach the issue with an "all or nothing mentality. While I am a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment, I do believe it is unethical to believe everyone should be allowed to possess a firearm. Violent felons, mentally disturbed individuals, or people who habitually use drugs have no business owning, let alone being near a firearm of any kind. The problem as I see it, is no one in our government has ever presented a mechanism to prevent those individuals from owning or possessing a firearm. Instead we see knee jerk reactions to isolated incidents which then apply to all gun owners. Do I have an "end all, be all" answer? Unfortunately, no, but then again, I'm not on television saying I do. I truly believe if this nation wants to address the problems associated with gun violence, our leaders (on both sides) need to take a long look at who and what is causing it. Banning guns or magazines over ten rounds to stamp out gun violence is akin to banning cars or cars that drive faster than 30mph to curb drunk driving.

Even then, magazine capacity is irrelevant if the person owns multiple clips.... Reloading a rifle is what, 1-3 seconds (depending on skills)?

Less publicity would be a good idea on paper at least, but at the same time we can't just pretend like bad things aren't happening.

Even then, magazine capacity is irrelevant if the person owns multiple clips.... Reloading a rifle is what, 1-3 seconds (depending on skills)?

Less publicity would be a good idea on paper at least, but at the same time we can't just pretend like bad things aren't happening.

With a little practice I can swap a mag in an AR in under 3 seconds - and I am not an AR guy. My M1 Carbine takes longer because the magazine catch is a bit worn.

Of course the fastest reload is a second gun.

This is the classic definition of the SLIPPERY SLOPE.

Well done.

I wonder what they will think of next when their "common sense" buzz word falls flat on its face, like all of the other catch phrases they tried to use have.

It is lacking "common sense" when anyone thinks a criminal will obey any gun law.

With a little practice I can swap a mag in an AR in under 3 seconds - and I am not an AR guy. My M1 Carbine takes longer because the magazine catch is a bit worn.

Of course the fastest reload is a second gun.

Ya, that sounds about right. I do remember seeing this clip of a guy that was reloading in about 0.x seconds (I think 0.6), but the point I was getting at was that the whole clip size issue is nonsense, except that there would be more frequent pauses in the shooting.

A second gun makes even the reloading prospect moot... But does remind me of the one politician arguing about clip sizes, and said something to the effect of the gun being useless once the clip is empty, somehow the concept of reloading was too much for her.

Ya, that sounds about right. I do remember seeing this clip of a guy that was reloading in about 0.x seconds (I think 0.6), but the point I was getting at was that the whole clip size issue is nonsense, except that there would be more frequent pauses in the shooting.

A second gun makes even the reloading prospect moot... But does remind me of the one politician arguing about clip sizes, and said something to the effect of the gun being useless once the clip is empty, somehow the concept of reloading was too much for her.

Even out of ammo you can still beat someone to death with it :mrgreen:

This is the classic definition of the SLIPPERY SLOPE.

Well done.

I wonder what they will think of next when their "common sense" buzz word falls flat on its face, like all of the other catch phrases they tried to use have.

It is lacking "common sense" when anyone thinks a criminal will obey any gun law.

It's also lacking common sense and validity if anyone thinks gun laws can reduce crime.

Gun control is not about common sense, reality, rational or even logical. It's about removing our guns any way it can. If that means lying, using victims of tragedy, basking in blood, building fear and using emotional hype, that is no problem they hire experts to advise them.

that brain dead Democrat party twit thought that once a magazine's ammo was expended, the magazine could no longer be used again and thus banning normal capacity magazines would mean they would all disappear in the near future

people like that should not hold public office

Even out of ammo you can still beat someone to death with it :mrgreen:

don't forget the judicial use of a good bayonet too.

I like having one on my 870 shotgun. makes it look so bad-assed, I might not have to pull the trigger....hope, at least.

The problem in reality is the mental health system and governments policy that creates the conditions for these problems. It is quite obvious that placing stress on people who cannot find employments, housing and a reasonable quality of life that allows them some dignity are far better than a bunch of social leeches and misfits that have no prospects in life other than alcohol, drugs and crime. Feeding and paying them is no help at all. It's the government quick fix power ensuring and vote getting route.

don't forget the judicial use of a good bayonet too.

I like having one on my 870 shotgun. makes it look so bad-assed, I might not have to pull the trigger....hope, at least.

Most of my rifles have bayonets. All make really good clubs.

Back
Top Bottom