• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Common Nonsensical Responses to Atheists/Atheism

False comfort as opposed to what? Because let us look at reality as it is: Humanity is doomed. We have perhaps, if we are lucky, another few thousand years on Planet Earth before we go extinct and our fossilized bones are perhaps found by another interstellar civilization that muses over our ashes. Or, more likely, the empty skies look down upon as as the stars wink out one by one as the heat death of the universe approaches, and our sun expands and atomizes this planet.

There is false comfort. And then there is no comfort.

From my point of view, as one who has lost many friends and family, there is no comfort, and as I stated earlier, words are useless, for mere words are empty and they mean nothing to one who is grieving.

These are common questions, indeed. Almost all are based on emotion, specifically the emotions of comfort and fear. But there are more uncomfortable questions beyond these simplicities.

Such as: "How as an atheist do you comfort someone who has lost a child? Do you just place your hand on their shoulder and say 'There is no Heaven where your child awaits you. Your son/daughter has been erased from existence and there is no ultimate justice that will undo it or make you whole. The universe does not care about your baby any more than it cares about you. And when you die all memory of your child will be lost along with you. Sorry for your loss.'"

As an atheist, I still do not have a good answer. Because I certainly cannot say "They are in a better place right now." Nonexistence is not a better place.

OK,
The first examples are not what atheist would say, they are what an atheist dick would say, and you aren't usually a dick. And perhaps you are talking to a fellow atheist. More and more likely these days.
But it is hard. You have to say something that is tailored to that person and what you know of them. Just because we don't believe, doesn't mean we have to bring our beliefs into that conversation. And if they are friends, they should already know of our beliefs, or lack of.
When a friend and neighbor of only a few years passed, his widow asked me over to tell me John wanted me to be a pall bearer. I don't normally do funerals and he had grown up here, spent most of his life here. He didn't have others to fill that billet? She said that " John told me you were an atheist, but I don't believe it. John loved you".
I told her that John and I sat on the porch swing and had conversations about spirituality and the meaning of life and I found him to be willing to have conversations that perhaps he had never had.
I went and saw John a day or so before he passed. I told her what I would tell the wife of any close friend. " John was a good man, and I will miss him". I did the pall bearer thing, and I cried like a baby at his funeral. His grandkids stared at me.

Certain atheists do. Others do not. Not every atheist becomes Bertrand Russell. Some start looking for hope in Dialectical Materialism, or racial pseudoscience to find something bigger than themselves to believe in that will outlast them.

Humanism has the answers.

OK,
The first examples are not what atheist would say, they are what an atheist dick would say, and you aren't usually a dick. And perhaps you are talking to a fellow atheist. More and more likely these days.
But it is hard. You have to say something that is tailored to that person and what you know of them. Just because we don't believe, doesn't mean we have to bring our beliefs into that conversation. And if they are friends, they should already know of our beliefs, or lack of.
When a friend and neighbor of only a few years passed, his widow asked me over to tell me John wanted me to be a pall bearer. I don't normally do funerals and he had grown up here, spent most of his life here. He didn't have others to fill that billet? She said that " John told me you were an atheist, but I don't believe it. John loved you".
I told her that John and I sat on the porch swing and had conversations about spirituality and the meaning of life and I found him to be willing to have conversations that perhaps he had never had.
I went and saw John a day or so before he passed. I told her what I would tell the wife of any close friend. " John was a good man, and I will miss him". I did the pall bearer thing, and I cried like a baby at his funeral. His grandkids stared at me.

Unlike Trump and his older boys and Jarded Kushner, many people, perhaps most people, do have empathy with other humans.

Some people - ATHEISTS - don't need to fabricate lies and myths to get through the day.

I have seen some very devout people question their faith upon the death of a loved one ~ especially if the death was violent or protracted. One lady I know personally never went back to her church and told the priest to go forth and multiply upon her death bed, but in a more colloquial fashion. :D

I have seen some very devout people question their faith upon the death of a loved one ~ especially if the death was violent or protracted. One lady I know personally never went back to her church and told the priest to go forth and multiply upon her death bed, but in a more colloquial fashion. :D

That is because her priest did a very poor job of teaching her what the Bible says about suffering and death...

That is because her priest did a very poor job of teaching her what the Bible says about suffering and death...

Utter rubbish. It was because the protracted death of her partner caused her to question her faith. Ultimately, she had grounds to reject it.

Utter rubbish. It was because the protracted death of her partner caused her to question her faith. Ultimately, she had grounds to reject it.

Yet, many remain faithful, in spite of losing loved ones, even before their time and in horrific ways...I lost my 1st love at the age of 23 to cancer and it never entered my mind to desert my God, because I know why such things happen and I also know I will see him again....

Yet, many remain faithful, in spite of losing loved ones, even before their time and in horrific ways...I lost my 1st love at the age of 23 to cancer and it never entered my mind to desert my God, because I know why such things happen and I also know I will see him again....

Of course many use their faith to get through times like these, and I never suggested otherwise. Humans are individuals after all.

“You just haven’t opened your heart/mind enough to god.”

“You obviously haven’t studied the Bible enough.”

“How do you explain why we’re here?”

“Aren’t you afraid of going to Hell?”

“So everything in the Universe just happened by random chance?”

“Well if God isn’t responsible, what/who is?”

“What’s the point of living if there’s no God?”

“Why bother being a good person if there’s no eternal consequences?”

There’s the people who want to think they can set a trap for you.
They’ll start down road of the famous arguments we’ve all seen posted here. Cosmological, Teleological, Ontological….

There’s the fine folks who’ll try to insinuate you’re just flat-out uneducated. :roll:
Some will say you’re just too lazy to do the work required.
I’ve seen at least one suggest you’re actually lying to yourself and others about where you stand on the whole “god” thing.

Some will try to redefine words.

The funniest are those who insist they have definitive “proof”.
As if the word “faith” is no longer needed.

What other silly responses come to mind for some of you?

1.This is a response to the atheist saying "God doesnt respond to me when i blurt out "god where are you"

"And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."

matthew 22:37

2.I find myself saying that a lot as a of skepticism can be explained by basic theology

3.its a good question

4.pascals wager

5.good question

6.good question

7.pascals wager

and other stuff

Did he identify himself as the Christian god? I have read claims by Hindus that they were in the presence of one of their gods.

No speaking, but the feeling. At the time, I was studying to be a priest and it was during Thursday night Eucharistic adoration. So I equated it to the Christian God.

Resliatically, God is seen differently in different religions, but it's really all the same. For all the Christian/Jewisjh/Muslim hate, they all worship the same God.

What exactly did you feel?

Some people say they've been abducted by aliens and taken onto their spacecraft.
Some say they've seen Bigfoot.

You can say many things.

It's fine to believe.
It's not so fine to insist others are stupid for not believing based solely on your own personal experience. (which I'm not saying you do)

In your opinion, is it possible a non-belief is perfectly valid?

Sure, non-belief is valid. Either no belief in supernatural things or believe there is no God (which I do think are different). If you haven't had the experience.....it's much easier.

No speaking, but the feeling. At the time, I was studying to be a priest and it was during Thursday night Eucharistic adoration. So I equated it to the Christian God.

Resliatically, God is seen differently in different religions, but it's really all the same. For all the Christian/Jewisjh/Muslim hate, they all worship the same God.

And does god enjoy all the holy wars?

What about Hindu's and Buddhists...?
American Indians and other tribal beliefs?

All the same god?

Is Zeus or Ra basically the same as the Christian God?

Well, that presumes that the person saying it is knowingly making it up out of whole cloth.

Who isn't making that stuff up?

Not one single person know's anything about what happens after a person dies.

Plenty have theories. None have proof. None have evidence.

Suppose reincarnation is actually a reality? Millions (if I'm not mistaken) believe in reincarnation.

Why not accept that?

Just as much "proof" for reincarnation as there is for Heaven.
Same for Valhalla.
Same for 72 virgins.

"Hey don't despair, your kid will be pounding away at 72 virgins in no time. Happy Day right?"

False comfort as opposed to what? Because let us look at reality as it is: Humanity is doomed. We have perhaps, if we are lucky, another few thousand years on Planet Earth before we go extinct and our fossilized bones are perhaps found by another interstellar civilization that muses over our ashes. Or, more likely, the empty skies look down upon as as the stars wink out one by one as the heat death of the universe approaches, and our sun expands and atomizes this planet.

There is false comfort. And then there is no comfort.

So the best thing you can come up with to support having a religious belief is from the point-of-view that it's the best coping mechanism for all of life's un-answerable questions?
A god-of-the-gaps approach?

I started a thread just like that a long while back. Many theists took umbrage with it.

Who isn't making that stuff up?

Not one single person know's anything about what happens after a person dies.

Plenty have theories. None have proof. None have evidence.

Suppose reincarnation is actually a reality? Millions (if I'm not mistaken) believe in reincarnation.

Why not accept that?

Just as much "proof" for reincarnation as there is for Heaven.
Same for Valhalla.
Same for 72 virgins.

"Hey don't despair, your kid will be pounding away at 72 virgins in no time. Happy Day right?"

I don't believe in reincarnation in this lifetime.

1 John 5:19...

Gee...how convenient.

God is responsible for everything good.
The Devil is responsible for everything bad.

Ain't that nice.

Now provide some proof that the Devil killed that girl.

Just a reminder, bible quotes and links to any JW websites are not "proof".

What about 1 john 5:19.

How does that answer anything at all?

It's much easier to vomit forth a useless bible reference than to actually engage in a discussion using your own words.

That's "what about it".

Back
Top Bottom