• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Common denominator in most police shootings of blacks

Eric garner resisted arrest. He pulled away from the arresting officer. Being a big man he was put in a choke hold. Which led to his death. Cop wasn't trying to kill him BTW.

Floyd resisted arrest. Refused to get into the car.

Castile didn't comply. The officer, who was acquitted, thought he was going for the gun he said he had.

Taylor's shooting was also resisting arrest. Police entered the wrong home conducting a search warrant. Taylors boyfriend began to fire at cops. Now they didnt know they were cops because they were in plain clothes and the cops didn't know they were in the wrong apartment. Tragedy for sure but again police reacted to a precieved resisting arrest. Had Taylor's boyfriend not fired at police she would be alive today. Cops mistake and horrible tragedy but not a good example to rebut what I posted.

Garner and floyd were not killed by bullets BTW.

You can't be resisting arrest if the cops aren't supposed to in your house to arrest you. At that point, you are merely defending your house. If you would attempt to make what happened to Breonna Taylor in any way acceptable, then I can't take your assessment of anything else even remotely seriously.

You can't be resisting arrest if the cops aren't supposed to in your house to arrest you. At that point, you are merely defending your house. If you would attempt to make what happened to Breonna Taylor in any way acceptable, then I can't take your assessment of anything else even remotely seriously.

Was he not shooting at cops?

Was he not shooting at cops?

Did he know he was shooting at cops?

Lets be completely honest....theres a ****load of gun owners who it that **** had happened to them, tell you openly they would have shot too.

They were in plain clothes and performing a no knock raid, so as far as he was concerned, he was shooting any old intruder.

Did he know he was shooting at cops?

Lets be completely honest....theres a ****load of gun owners who it that **** had happened to them, tell you openly they would have shot too.

They were in plain clothes and performing a no knock raid, so as far as he was concerned, he was shooting any old intruder.

Of coarse they would have. I agree. I am just wondering why you think he was trying to make it acceptable?

We still can’t punish a cop for shooting what he thought was a perp shooting at him.

Would you not have shot back if you were the cop?

while I believe we should change things so that the Taylor and Floyd type incidents have less chance of happening, I agree that a lot of it seems to be knowing how to act and not act when in a confrontation with police.

Exactly!

Police can't read minds. They must react to the situation which puts them behind in the reactionary curve. This means that they are at a disadvantage almost always. In my self defense training regimen we try to use situational awareness to prevent ourselves from being behind in that curve as it aint good. This is why they want to see your hands or ask you to put them up etc. Its why they don't want you reaching. They just don't know what your intent is.

Great story......my alarm company calls me at 1am and tells me that my business alarm is reporting a loss of power. I have plenty of battery backup however loss of power could mean someone has cut power to my business perhaps in preparation to burglarize it. As a precaution I drove to my business to check things out. It became apparent that this was a power outage since the whole block was pitch black. Still my son and I stayed until power was restored just in case. Within 5 minutes a patrol car drove by on the street behind my business. Minutes later another. Slow and with the side light searching the dark. In the next 15 minutes we counted 6 patrol cars. I was just telling my son to prepare for them to f#$k with us soon when it happened. A patrol car came from one direction and patrol suv from the other. They lit my car up so bright we got sun burns. Thought it was an alien abduction scenario lol. As they pulled into our lot from both direction I rolled down all the DARK TINTED windows. Told my son to place one hand on the dash the other 90 degrees angle in the window. I did the same on my side only with the steering wheel. The officers approached, asked if I was the owner, asked that we be careful, and left. Didn't ask about the ar-15 and Remington 1100 on the back seat or any other questions. This was Tampa Police Department and not even the usually much more professional Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office. We made them feel secure and they acted accordingly. Imagine had they been forced to look thru tinted windows, at night, with hands unsecure and a back seat with enough guns to run a three gun match like a champ.

Of coarse they would have. I agree. I am just wondering why you think he was trying to make it acceptable?

We still can’t punish a cop for shooting what he thought was a perp shooting at him.

Would you not have shot back if you were the cop?

He claimed that that shooting was a result of someone resisting arrest. That is the biggest load of **** I have read in some time.

We CAN punish a cop for compounding a mistake by shooting someone who wasn't a subject of the investigation they were running.

No knock raids need to be a thing of the past....but that is a different discussion entirely.

Heres the thing....I understand the cop shooting....I also understand that mistakes like that have repercussions. When you kill someone who shouldn't be killed, to simply call that a mistake and move on is unacceptable.

He claimed that that shooting was a result of someone resisting arrest. That is the biggest load of **** I have read in some time.

We CAN punish a cop for compounding a mistake by shooting someone who wasn't a subject of the investigation they were running.

No knock raids need to be a thing of the past....but that is a different discussion entirely.

Heres the thing....I understand the cop shooting....I also understand that mistakes like that have repercussions. When you kill someone who shouldn't be killed, to simply call that a mistake and move on is unacceptable.

How would it be the cops fault though, u less he was the one who got the adress wrong?

Let’s suppose it was a clerk at the station that got the address wrong. Should the clerk go down for murder? If not, then what should happen? Cop should still get in trouble?

Follow all lawful orders given by LEO. Its not really that hard. Resist and you're allowing force. Attack and you're basically asking to get killed. Fair? Maybe not. Darwinism? Definitely.

Your OP didn't contain any links. Why don't you lead by example and provide some that corroborate your OP statement?

A Washington Post database shows that*14 Black and 25 white “unarmed” Americans were shot dead by police in 2019

As I said unarmed white men are killed more often than blacks. Now you will see the liberals trying to spin this by saying that blacks make up a smaller percentage of the population therefore they are more likely to be killed than whites. This of course is horse $Hi+ as blacks while a smaller percentage of the population they commit a higher percentage of the crime.

Hope this helps.

As I said unarmed white men are killed more often than blacks. Now you will see the liberals trying to spin this by saying that blacks make up a smaller percentage of the population therefore they are more likely to be killed than whites. This of course is horse $Hi+ as blacks while a smaller percentage of the population they commit a higher percentage of the crime.

Hope this helps.

Only in America would anyone ever try to argue that "more unarmed white people being shot by police" is evidence that cops are doing their jobs properly.

Frankly I don't see any significant moral distinction between cops shooting an unarmed black man, or an unarmed white man. Neither should happen.

Only in America would anyone ever try to argue that "more unarmed white people being shot by police" is evidence that cops are doing their jobs properly.

Frankly I don't see any significant moral distinction between cops shooting an unarmed black man, or an unarmed white man. Neither should happen.

Well, it’s more to argue against the notion of targeting blacks. And if that narrative is wrong, and evidence points that way, it reduces credibility of the other narrative that cops in general are doing a bad job.

How about training cops better? Why should the onus be on whoever the cops are dealing with? Comply or die? That's absurd in what purports to be an advanced and civilised nation.

Agreed! More training is always good. But just as the police have a responsibility to train, we have a responsibility to ourselves to not get killed.. I dont believe its a comply or die option however. I think statistically police do an overall great job. Very few folks are shot yearly. Given the number of interactions each year overall. Hell I have caught myself screaming at the TV watching caught in the act type police footage. Screaming for the police to shoot the badguy that is. If anything most wait to long and jeopardize themselves unnecessarily.

Overall they do great given such a tough task as is the dynamic physical interaction with the most dangerous animal on earth, the human.

what leads a human to blow off other humans being gunned down/killed by other humans when they shouldn't be?

deplorable.

Who blows that off? Is that what you get from those of us who understand the issue and are capable of seeing things from both sides? As a business owner I have felt the fear cops must experience daily. I have had customers who I felt surely would rob my business. One in particular I will never forget. Shark eyes. Dead, no emotion no life in his eyes. He walked out of my business and was jumped by 12 to 15 cops and arrested. Seems he had just KILLED a man in a drive by minutes earlier. My business was targeted multiple times by criminals during the initial night of riots from the floyd killing. During a hurricane a couple years ago we thwarted an attempt to break in. In both cases I was armed to the teeth and it still sucked. Get this I wasnt obligated to persue and catch those criminals. Police would have chased them and that is a whole level worst.

Have you ever tried to arrest or subdue a violent human? Have you ever had a situation go from cool to hot in seconds? Have you ever been attacked by a violent human? Have you ever had someone pull a weapon on you from seemingly nowhere? No amount of training can prepare you for all scenarios. The job is extremely difficult and dangerous. The situations dynamic. Police do a damned good job with very few exceptions. Millions of interactions with a handful of issues some of which are still justified even though they look bad to the untrained civilian.

Okay, name some. That is the purpose of this thread. There isn't this massive number of black people who do the right thing and are killed by white police. That is a lie.

Yes its a lie being pushed by folks trying to hurt this country seeking a collapse of our society and spread by innocent ignorant citizens unaware that they are being played.

You see now that people are protesting even the justified shooting by police. Latest guy pulled a gun on cops.

Yes, people should never question police officers and just believe they can be trusted to do the right thing. There are no incidents where people have been killed by people who impersonated police officers.

Our view: Get tougher with police impersonators

Don't play that crap salad game. All police involved deaths should be investigated.... AND BY ANOTHER AGENCY OR THE FEDS.

#1 don't care what you take seriously. I never said it was acceptable. It was however not an example of police targeting and killing blacks. It was a horrible mistake. In context the same thing, innocents death, happens everyday caused by human error. Why is it any different than your pharmacist giving you the wrong meds? There was no bad intent by either party it was a horrible mistake.

What I said about Taylor was correct IN THE MINDS OF ALL PARTIES INVOLVED. Open your brain and hear it again.....the cops believed they were being attacked by a criminal......since they had the wrong house taylors boyfriend thought they were being home invaded. As i said the perception by police, as wrong as it turned out to be, was that a criminal was firing on them.

If you cant understand that you probably shouldn't be posting

I promise you sir that you would change your mind if Michael Brown was charging you with the intent to hurt you. 6ft 4in 292 pounds of what the coroner said muscle which looked like an NFL lineman.

You just have no idea how fast and ferociously a violent man that big can kill you lol. Go fun fight someone in a gym somewhere for some perspective.

I promise you sir that you would change your mind if Michael Brown was charging you with the intent to hurt you. 6ft 4in 292 pounds of what the coroner said muscle which looked like an NFL lineman.

You just have no idea how fast and ferociously a violent man that big can kill you lol. Go fun fight someone in a gym somewhere for some perspective.

Plus a Michael Brown type of guy will much more easily take your gun and use it on you if you hesitate or try to have a “fair fight” with him.

We live in crazy times with brainwashed people everywhere.

Hope this helps.

That's not a link. Just a single sentence that could easily be cherry picked/taken out of context.

I know this, If I was a younger person I would have absolutely no interest in becoming a cop today. I could find a much safer job that pays a lot more where I don’t risk my life everyday and not need all the training, psychological screening and accountability that you mention. I would almost have to be a fool to want to become a cop. I am sure a lot of younger people feel the same as I do. Unfortunately the jobs have to be filled so you get the wrong type of person as a cop because there are no other alternatives.

The truth is, there will NEVER be a shortage of cops. They get to monopolize violence. They get to run their adrenaline to the moon. Some folks could not cope without this. THISSSSSSS is why psychological analysis is necessary. And clear cut guidelines.

Ok so we have riots and looting because people are upset that white cops are shooting black suspects. We have thread after thread on whether it was justified or not. What we haven't had is a thread that focuses on a single but obvious point that led to the shooting to begin with. So I will say with confidence that if you dont want to get shot by police the only thing you have to do is comply. Follow the commands of the arresting officer. Fight your battle in court. Every one of these shootings with the exception of Brianna Taylor started with resisting arrest. Cops are not HUNTING blacks as LeBron moron James suggests. They are simply trying to make an arrest and the badguy is escalating the arrest by resisting.

So I will say to all my black fellow citizens if you don't want to be shot just comply. Follow all the commands. Make the policemans job easy. Understand that they don't know you are not going to hurt them. They don't know that you won't turn on them in a flash. Nobody wants to be hurt or killed even police.

Thousands of blacks are arrested everyday without incident. Police kill more unarmed white guys than blacks every year so there is no hunting going on. Just comply so nobody dies. It really is that simple.

Yes over 99% of this problem starts with a thug committing a crime.

I'm more the running back type myself. I think I'd just take off, no way he would catch me :lol:

Of course the real question is, why would I be confronting him at all in the first place?

The truth is, there will NEVER be a shortage of cops. They get to monopolize violence. They get to run their adrenaline to the moon. Some folks could not cope without this. THISSSSSSS is why psychological analysis is necessary. And clear cut guidelines.

There is and will continue to b a shortage of good people to work as cops. In fact many good cops are leaving the profession today.

I do agree that certain people will still be attracted to the job. Many will not be the high quality officer we all want but the “bully” who loves power and the adrenaline junkie looking for excitement.

But if you cull out the ones wanting to monopolize violence, there may very well be a great shortage.

Police kill more unarmed white guys than blacks every year so there is no hunting going on. .

Instead of replying to the rest of your post, I often see the statement above from the right, and I find it dishonest and misleading. It's only the case for absolute totals, because there are a lot more white people than black people, but as I understand, per person the rates are much higher for black people.

Back
Top Bottom