• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Commission on Presidential Debates says changes coming to format for next 2 debates

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

The commission that oversees the general election debates between candidates for president and vice president said Wednesday it will be making changes to the format of the remaining two presidential debates after Tuesday's face-off between President Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden, the Democratic presidential nominee, was marred by frequent interruptions by the president and mud-slinging.

Thank. ****ing. God. If nothing else, only the candidate whose turn it is should have their mic activated.

In a statement following the presidential debate in Cleveland, Ohio, the first of three scheduled in the run-up to the general election, the Commission on Presidential Debates said the event "made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues."

Massive understatement, but I'll take it. America deserves better than the shitshow trump gave us last night.

Thank. ****ing. God. If nothing else, only the candidate whose turn it is should have their mic activated.

Massive understatement, but I'll take it. America deserves better than the shitshow trump gave us last night.

I agree - this is something they should have done a long time ago. Warning lights and a mike cut-off have long been used in other venues to control the pacing.

Another move to protect the addled Biden from mean 'ol Trump. Trump is so heartless, he picks on a senile man.

Will be interesting to see their changes. Odd that they are saying they will make changes without consulting the candidates or announcing what those changes will be.

I want "The League of Women Voters" to take back supervision of these debates.
The CPD has never done a thing to either improve, expand or sustain the quality of them.
They have failed in 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016, and now they have failed in 2020 in a way so spectacular that presidential debates are now almost universally regarded as sh*t shows.

There is NOTHING that the Commission on Presidential Debates can take pride in.
They are not capable of producing a watchable event that informs voters.

I agree with this, but I think it's ultimately futile.

The problem isn't the format. The problem is Trump.
The format was fine for normal adult candidates. I don't think they realized how much Trump has deteriorated since the debates in 2016. The moderator needs to be given tools to compensate for the effects of Trumps worsening pathologies.

The format was fine for normal adult candidates. I don't think they realized how much Trump has deteriorated since the debates in 2016. The moderator needs to be given tools to compensate for the effects of Trumps worsening pathologies.
Let's face it. If the Democrats really think Biden won, they wouldn't be calling for changes, which they did this morning. The fact that their allies who run the debates agree with them is telling.

But if they can institute a format in which it’s very specific who has the mic, then it’ll be a win for Joe because Trump cannot help himself.

IT’s all the adderall.

Let's face it. If the Democrats really think Biden won, they wouldn't be calling for changes, which they did this morning. The fact that their allies who run the debates agree with them is telling.

What’s telling is that virtually every poll and instant analysis gave the debate to Biden, and yet here you are - one of the folks that proclaimed he wouldn’t show up at all - insisting a victory is “telling”.

You know what is super telling? Trump knows he‘s in so much trouble, last night he couldn’t even keep his cool with Sleepy Joe. It was Biden who baited *him* into the Proud Boys comment.

4d chess is real, and Sleepy Joe is a playa.

What’s telling is that virtually every poll and instant analysis gave the debate to Biden, and yet here you are - one of the folks that proclaimed he wouldn’t show up at all - insisting a victory is “telling”.

You know what is super telling? Trump knows he‘s in so much trouble, last night he couldn’t even keep his cool with Sleepy Joe. It was Biden who baited *him* into the Proud Boys comment.

4d chess is real, and Sleepy Joe is a playa.
The polls are leftwing biased just like the media is. Just like they were in 2016. Democrats are very upset because Trump goaded Biden into saying he didn't support the Green New Deal.

As always, Trump knows the real rules of the game. It's not to be pollte in debate; it's to show who's a strong leader for America versus who would be a weak puppet. Biden was so frail and fragile. Nobody in America thinks he's fit to lead.

Democrats aren't calling for changes. The Commission for Presidential Debates is an independent, bipartisan body that sets up the debates. They didn't like what they saw, because Trump out did himself in the asshole department.

The polls are leftwing biased just like the media is. Just like they were in 2016. Democrats are very upset because Trump goaded Biden into saying he didn't support the Green New Deal.

Yeah, Trump really triangulated everyone. I guess between the white supremacist who threatens us with racist street gangs and the centrist who never bought into the green new deal, we all just gonna sit home!

PS: How does your brand new strategy “win“ reconcile with all the ballot harvesting you’ve been accusing the radical left of? Are we no longer all in on “stealing” the election from a historically unpopular potus cause Sleepy said he don’t want to ban cows? Tell me allll about your big big bigly win last night.

Democrats aren't calling for changes. The Commission for Presidential Debates is an independent, bipartisan body that sets up the debates. They didn't like what they saw, because Trump out did himself in the asshole department.
Democrats indeed called for changes before the commission announced them. Maybe read the post before you respond to it.

As always, Trump knows the real rules of the game. It's not to be pollte in debate; it's to show who's a strong leader for America versus who would be a weak puppet. Biden was so frail and fragile. Nobody in America thinks he's fit to lead.
Yeah, yeah. Everybody's biased against Trump. It's you and Trump and the Proud Boys against America.

As a former Republican now Independent, I was disappointed in the "debate". Was more disappointed on how Trump behaved than I was with Biden.
I dislike debates when people interrupt the the one speaking. Both were guilty of it. imo, Trump more so. I expect better from a President.

Really? Nowhere in the OP or in the article does it say that. Quote the relevant passage that proves me wrong.
I said it in my post #8. I said Democrats called for changes ahead of the commission's ruling. In #12, you then claimed Democrats weren't calling for changes. You didn't read what I wrote, and so you were wrong.

As a former Republican now Independent, I was disappointed in the "debate". Was more disappointed on how Trump behaved than I was with Biden.
I dislike debates when people interrupt the the one speaking. Both were guilty of it. imo, Trump more so. I expect better from a President.
Biden was weak. Trump was strong. That's really the takeaway.

Biden was weak. Trump was strong. That's really the takeaway.
Funny. Yes Biden was weak in acting as belligerent at Trump. Trump was strong in showing how rude and out of touch he can be.
That is the real take away

Funny. Yes Biden was weak in acting as belligerent at Trump. Trump was strong in showing how rude and out of touch he can be.
That is the real take away
I what area are you saying Trump was out of touch during the debate?

Trump will NOT allow this. He has been cheered, on Fox news, for DOMINATING Biden, who had trouble getting a work out, they said. The image of Trump trying to interupt, impotently, looks weak. HE WILL NOT agree to this. And Guliani is one of his negotiators.

I said it in my post #8. I said Democrats called for changes ahead of the commission's ruling. In #12, you then claimed Democrats weren't calling for changes. You didn't read what I wrote, and so you were wrong.
Just because you said it, doesn't make it so. Democrats didn't call for changes. The Commission on Presidential Debates did. Show me where Democrats called for changes. Back up what you claim with facts. That's what debates are about.

Back
Top Bottom