• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Coming 2 America

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Anyone else see this?

Sat and watched it the other day and man... It was awful, absolutely horrendous.

It was a hot mess of a film where they were trying to do far, far too much and trying far, far too hard to be funny.

I have to admit I did giggle a couple of times, but for the most part, I was scratching my head in confusion half the time at just, not funny stuff.

The case of Eddie Murphy is a sad one.

I don't remember the first one being particularly funny.

Last edited:

Anyone else see this?

Sat and watched it the other day and man... It was awful, absolutely horrendous.

It was a hot mess of a film where they were trying to do far, far too much and trying far, far too hard to be funny.

I have to admit I did giggle a couple of times, but for the most part, I was scratching my head in confusion half the time at just, not funny stuff.

Watched this last night. Agree with everything you say here. Some funny bits in the barbershop.

Tonight we watched "I Care a Lot" on Amazon Prime. Excellent movie with a great performance by Dianne Wiest.

Anyone else see this?

Wow really?
I liked it . . l

but now with that said. . . . . it wasn't anything great. I liked it for what it was . . .a part 2 almost remake to a classic comedy of a certain era.

It wasn't anything special but I think it appealed to me because that was a hot comedy of my time and I got soooo many of the little jokes that were retakes of the first movie or continuations of them.

There were quite a few times I could see a joke coming and did the line with them, or they delayed it a little or changed it up a little and I loved that.

Took me back and I liked it for that, the comedy was right back in the comedy of that time 🤷‍♂️

Did you like the first one?
how old are you?
whens the last time you watched the first one .. . .i watched them back to back . . maybe that helped the second one out and i didnt realize it?

Anyone else see this?

If you laugh at a comedian at roughly the same rate that somebody laughs at your own jokes, that comedian needs to hang his hat and move on. I watched an episode of Family Guy and laughed twice, which, again, is about the reaction that I would get if I spent 26 minutes making jokes.

People born within the last 25 years would be understandably confused as to why Eddie Murphy is famous. You'd have to be old enough to qualify for the covid vaccine to know that, for a while, Eddie Murphy was a comedy god.

Last edited:

Anyone else see this?

The first film was great. I suspected that the second would fall short. Thanks for the heads up.

The first one was not a brilliant movie, nor was the second one. But both had their moments and are well worth a watch.

Anyone else see this?

I could tell this is the case just watching the trailer. It looks awful.

Watched it for about 20 minutes then turned it off.

From another thread:
Coming 2 America, Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall.​
I loved the original, just a fun movie. Amazingly, it seems almost everyone from the original is still alive! And made at least some appearances in the new one.​
It was kitschy and corny but they seem to have gone into that intentionally. For example, the neighboring African country threatening the throne is named "Nextdooria." :rolleyes: Wesley Snipes is the bad guy...which he is good at. As a comedic actor, not so much.​
There are loads of flashbacks and references to the original. The story is weak and there arent any surprises (well except for the stretch where we find out how Eddie Murphy ended up with a son :rolleyes:).
It was a fun, superficial but 'feel good' movie.​

Back
Top Bottom