• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Comey says he's reached agreement with Republicans for testimony

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...estify-privately-and-have-transcript-released

Former FBI Director James Comey tweeted Sunday that he had reached a deal with Republican lawmakers regarding his testimony before Congress.

"Grateful for a fair hearing from judge. Hard to protect my rights without being in contempt, which I don’t believe in," Comey wrote on Twitter, following a hearing on Comey's challenge to a GOP-issued subpoena.
=======================================
Comey will be free to talk about his testimony & a transcript will be released within 24 hours. But watch for the inevitable Republican spin.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...estify-privately-and-have-transcript-released

Former FBI Director James Comey tweeted Sunday that he had reached a deal with Republican lawmakers regarding his testimony before Congress.

"Grateful for a fair hearing from judge. Hard to protect my rights without being in contempt, which I don’t believe in," Comey wrote on Twitter, following a hearing on Comey's challenge to a GOP-issued subpoena.
Comey will be free to talk about his testimony & a transcript will be released within 24 hours. But watch for the inevitable Republican spin.

I'm not completely sure why Comey is doing this. Is he laying the groundwork for other testimonies to be released that will be helpful to the Mueller investigation that the Republicans have tried to cover up?

I have no idea how this works out for anybody. Republicans will almost certainly make themselves look foolish, but Comey isn't an especially strategic thinker, so I dunno.

Some people are so desperate to stay in the news. Why is Comey still relevant today? This poor man must be calling MSNBC and CNN daily for a job!

I have no idea how this works out for anybody. Republicans will almost certainly make themselves look foolish, but Comey isn't an especially strategic thinker, so I dunno.

It is very strategic to have a witness know the precise content of the testimony of other witnesses. This is why multiple witness statements are taken separately, in private and within as short a time frame as possible.

Some people are so desperate to stay in the news. Why is Comey still relevant today? This poor man must be calling MSNBC and CNN daily for a job!

This is happening because the House subpoenaed Comey. How do you not know this?

It is very strategic to have a witness know the precise content of the testimony of other witnesses. This is why multiple witness statements are taken separately, in private and within as short a time frame as possible.

Which is a fine point if we lived in a universe where the Nunes Memo incident didn't happen.

I too have doubts about Comey's judgment. If I were him I'd wear a wire to the hearing. He may need to help the Republicans clear up any mistakes in the transcript.

i would have stalled them for a month. i don't see why he wants to give the lame duck congress a last attempt at grandstanding. there will be plenty of investigations coming up, except these will be real investigations rather than defect-o-ramas for Trump.

I too have doubts about Comey's judgment. If I were him I'd wear a wire to the hearing. He may need to help the Republicans clear up any mistakes in the transcript.

I think both sides are just hoping that nobody embarrasses the country any more than is absolutely necessary. Nobody is going to be happy that this hearing happened.

i would have stalled them for a month. i don't see why he wants to give the lame duck congress a last attempt at grandstanding. there will be plenty of investigations coming up, except these will be real investigations rather than defect-o-ramas for Trump.

That should be 'deflect-o-ramas'.

I have to assume he believes that he doesn't have the time or the room to legally put them off. Or maybe he's even worse at strategy than I thought. I don't know.

I have to assume he believes that he doesn't have the time or the room to legally put them off. Or maybe he's even worse at strategy than I thought. I don't know.

could be.

I think both sides are just hoping that nobody embarrasses the country any more than is absolutely necessary. Nobody is going to be happy that this hearing happened.

The Republicans are well beyond embarrassment.

I suspect Comey and Lynch are in a huddle, as we speak, trying desperately to think of everything they both will be asked...making sure their stories match up.

Exactly! He should have held his guns for an open hearing, or used every legal tool to stall until the new year.

No way should he let Nunes get him behind a closed door, if at all possible.

Exactly! He should have held his guns for an open hearing, or used every legal tool to stall until the new year.

No way should he let Nunes get him behind a closed door, if at all possible.

I'm not super worried. The Democrats can always hold an open hearing in January to clear the air.

I'm not super worried. The Democrats can always hold an open hearing in January to clear the air.
I was speaking from Comey's personal perspective.

You're right there. Comey does suck at both strategy and tactics.
Agreed. And he also strikes me as a bit impetuous, with none of these being qualities we usually associate with very high ranking lawmen.

He is still in the news, in part, because Congress wants him to testify. That’s on Congress, not Comey.

I'm not completely sure why Comey is doing this. Is he laying the groundwork for other testimonies to be released that will be helpful to the Mueller investigation that the Republicans have tried to cover up?

Well, it would be kinda illegal to ignore a congressional subpoena. Comey knows this.

He also knows that if he can blow off a subpoena that easy, it'll damage Mueller's case against Cohen, because the "lying to Congress" charge is weak as ****, anyway.

Mueller's entire case is weakened because he's ignoring the crimes Comey has committed. Comey wants to do what he can to take that off the table.

I suspect Comey and Lynch are in a huddle, as we speak, trying desperately to think of everything they both will be asked...making sure their stories match up.
If Comey has that agreement but lynch does not, they should call her in before him or they should call one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. If either hears any testimony before they gives theirs it becomes tainted.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Republicans has became the embarrassment of itself! I’m sorry but, you are adept to this gentleman then I don’t know the Republican Party anymore? The Republicans should have said we’re not interested in making deals. You testify or you Stop bouncing around from media to media outlets, Stop writing books or whatever about it because you would be considered as a key person in this which you are.

Back
Top Bottom